Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OWD question

• 06-09-2007 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if students get any discounts for the open water course???
    do colleges run the course too? im lookin to get started but its not the cheapest sport in the world! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

You'd need to approach a PADI centre directly to find out that. They might feel generous on the day :rolleyes: :p or not depending on the weather.
    Also, if you're in a college, they may have a diving club/soc that meets to dive. They may have a group deal with a PADI centre.
    The other alternative is to look at a CFT club and do your dive training with them. Most clubs will have a membership structure that fits with your ability to pay.

I think (but could be wrong) that in the UK you can do dive training as a way of getting....NVQ? points. Somebody with more experience in that may be able to enlighten us both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

I would not imagine that there is a student discount for the PADI open water dive course. However many colleges have Diving clubs under the Irish Underwater council. In dublin alone Trinity, UCD and DCU all have clubs although Trinity is a BSAC (British Sub Aqua Club) club. PLease post where you are and I'll try to get you a contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

thanks scubagit, im startin in griffith college on the south circular road in dublin in less than 2 weeks!

still wonderin if anyone knows!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Best bet is to approach the SU in the college and find out. I don't know of any PADI (or otherwise) dive centres that give student discounts.

• Advertisement

yep ok thanks lads, ill ask them as soon as college starts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

king-stew wrote:
    yep ok thanks lads, ill ask them as soon as college starts!

Did my degree in GCD and there is no sub aqua. Unlucky. Best bet is a CFT club maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Peace wrote:
    Did my degree in GCD and there is no sub aqua. Unlucky. Best bet is a CFT club maybe.

Or get started on a new club....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Borzoi wrote:
    Or get started on a new club....

Yeah that would be doable but i think a subaqua would need a minum of a leading diver to get started and an instructor to traing the trainees?

If you can gather those together then you'd have a runner alright. perhaps you should put up a notice on the college website/noticeboard and ask for any qualified divers/interested people to get together some evening and see what you can put together.

hmmm, its interesting alright,
    what if i went to a dive school and said if i can get this many people do a course would they give us a nice discount, and my course free of course ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement