Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uninstalling vista - back to xp

• 06-09-2007 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Got a new dell xps with vista home premium installed. None of my hardware(music) related are being found and no drivers out yet, so i want to install xp.

This seems impossible, booted up from an xp, 2000 pro cd and basically the installing process starts (loading drivers etc) and then when it says windows is starting, i get a fatal exception, saying to restart the pc. I've tried various ways to get in and try and format the hdd using many apps, nuke it etc and i am blocked every time.
    Please somebody save me here, how do i reformat and get rid off this piece of sh*t.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Have a llok at Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, a free download from their site. It allows you to install XP (if you have a disk and serial of course) on a Vista PC. You can then launch XP in a window.

It hasn't got any USB port support though afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Most of the new Dell PC's use new hardware that isn't supported in XP. To install it your going to have to slipstream an XP disc (not an easy task for beginners) plus add in a few custom drivers in that same install (if you can find them, if they even exist) from the net to avoid the BSOD (blue screen of death).

As you may know, XP is being discontinued in 2008. It's better to get on to Vista now, before your forced to later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

empirix wrote:
    Howdy all,

Got a new dell xps with vista home premium installed. None of my hardware(music) related are being found and no drivers out yet, so i want to install xp.

This seems impossible, booted up from an xp, 2000 pro cd and basically the installing process starts (loading drivers etc) and then when it says windows is starting, i get a fatal exception, saying to restart the pc. I've tried various ways to get in and try and format the hdd using many apps, nuke it etc and i am blocked every time.
    Please somebody save me here, how do i reformat and get rid off this piece of sh*t.
    Try installing with only essential hardware connected first -- keyboard and mouse. If this works, you can then install drivers for your other devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Lads thanks for the replies and all, but can anybody tell me how to format the hdd and delete vista.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 homehelptech

If you really want to format then there'll be a bootdisk at bootdisk.com that will probably help you. You'll need to go for one of the disks/utilities that support NTFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

empirix wrote:
    Howdy all,

Just reread your OP. You won't be able to format the Windows partition if it's in use, i.e. you can't format the Windows root partition when running Windows. Just thought I'd mention this in case this was what you were trying to do.

Could you give more details about the error message. Someone is bound to have had the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Deleting the Vista install is not your main issue. You need to be sure that you can reinstall another OS on the machine.

As CptSternn alluded to, XP install CDs don't have SATA support as used on modern PCs, and most PCs do not have floppy drives suitable to provide the drivers (by pressing F6 during install).

If this is the case with your PC, then after formatting, you still will not be able to install XP, making you reinstall Vista (or Linux) putting you back where you started.

As you haven't provided details about the error you saw dealing with the XP install, this is the problem we suspect you are running in to.

Or tell is what music devices are not working for you, perhaps there are XP drivers or drivers from a different manufacturer that work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

CptSternn wrote:
    As you may know, XP is being discontinued in 2008. It's better to get on to Vista now, before your forced to later.
    It just won't be available to purchase after 2008. They have extended the support for it to 2013 though.

Advertisement