Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Does it Get Easy?

Options
  • 06-09-2007 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

I was going to describe this as a beginner's question but I began cycling, like most guys, when I was a kid. You know what I mean though. I'm trying to get back into it for fitness (read: because of fatness) and also because pollution kills bunnies... and I like bunnies.

I've attempted to get back into cycling before but always quit after a little bit. If I'm really honest I think this is because I'm a lazy fat-arse but I wasn't always and I know that I am capable of working hard and getting fit. When I cycled before I found that my legs just weren't used to the workout. Maybe I had the bike in too high a gear, I don't know. I remember often going down a step after getting off my bike and having my legs almost give way because the muscles (ha!) were so tired. Anyway, muscles get stronger after a while I know, but how long would this take for me to get used to cycling again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Should only take a couple of weeks max of doing a few miles every other day.
    Make sure the bike is set up properly though, especially extending your leg while cycling. If you're not extending your leg straight then you will find it harder. If you cycle regularly you will adapt in no time but if you take long breaks then you are starting from scratch every time. I can sometimes be wrecked after a long day and barely have the energy to walk down the road but can cycle home no problem purely because I'm so use to it. I actually find it relaxing.

also, I'm a lazy fat arse too at the best of times but routine means I don't even think about cycling as something physical anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

You're on the right track when you talk about gears. You can make life a lot easier for yourself by cycling at a high pedal speed in a low gear. Basically, you should be aiming for 45 rpm, like the records. You will tire quickly if you're constantly having to push the pedals down. Instead you should simply be pressing them (if you get me) with minimum pressure and simply letting your feet rotate. This takes a bit of getting used to but you will tire much less quickly.

Other simple things to do, practice using your front brake. You should be braking gently with your front brake alone when cycling on dry pavement, using your back brake only when you see potholes, manholes, or in any other slippery conditions.

You should get used to cycling easily, just don't go mad. Take it slow, there really is no rush. Make sure you're spinning at a decent speed and just go at your own pace. Cycling is really a surprisingly slow sport for most of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

No pavements here. Bumpy country roads with maniac farmers trying to kill me by zooming past and hardly leaving me an inch. I fear for my life sometimes. I've bought a "wing mirror" that straps on to my handle bar which seems to be pretty handy. It's hard to hear the cars coming with the wind blowing in my ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

You can make life a lot easier for yourself by cycling at a high pedal speed in a low gear. Basically, you should be aiming for 45 rpm

Iiieeeck! 45rpm is far, far to low. 80rpm or higher is the figure to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

clown bag wrote:
    Make sure the bike is set up properly though, especially extending your leg while cycling. If you're not extending your leg straight then you will find it harder.

someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that your leg should be ever so slightly bent when it's at 6 o'clock on the pedal rotation. I.e you don't want to lock out your leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

King Raam wrote:
    someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that your leg should be ever so slightly bent when it's at 6 o'clock on the pedal rotation. I.e you don't want to lock out your leg

you are not wrong.

Membrane wrote:

Yeah, for sure, once you get a bit more experienced a higher cadence makes a lot of sense. But you see so many newcomers to the road attempting to cycle at 20 or 30 rpm and it makes sense to aim for a more managable speed to start with. But you're right, I do about 70rpm and that's probably the speed that someone cycling without any sort of pedal-clipping mechanism should be cycling at.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

King Raam wrote:
    Yes, completely, it should be slightly bent, but the general beginner problem is having the saddle way too low, it's rare that they have it too high!

Generally if it is too high you'll know about it, especially if you are using flat pedals, feeling a real "stretch" or rocking from side to side on the saddle is a key sign.

Yeah, that's true. Your saddle should be high enough that you can't really put a full foot the ground without leaning your bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I think someone posted here a few weeks ago
    It doesn't get easier, you just get faster
    and i think to some extent they're right, but for the moment, just concentrate on getting to a level where you're comfortable going at whatever speed that is.

I was cycling up Howth the other day, and i passed some girl doing about 30rpm, even if that, and i went past doing about 75-85(i don't have a cadence meter, but it was nice and high) And as i passed her i thought about suggesting to her to spin up the hill in a low gear as it's easier, but decided just to leave her at it. Up in the car park at the top she only came in a few minutes behind me after powering her way up in a high gear and low rpm-so what works for one, doesn't work for us all. I don't think you need to worry too much about what cadence you're at, once you're exercising. With time, you'll find what cadence leaves you less bolloxed at the end.

Leg ever so slightly bent at 6 o'clock seems to be the best way to have the saddle in my experience. Again, by experimenting with the saddle you should be able to find a powerful and comfortable position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

Membrane wrote:
    I think anywhere between 60 and 80 is about right. I tend to do about 60 rpm myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Someone mentioned to me once, that if you cycle the same distance the whole time, and never any further, then you'll never really get much better at cycling..

I cycle the same distance every day and never any further; I find it easier than I used to, but I'd say if I'd to cycle any real distance I'd be wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

I have to agree with cunnins4 here. it definitely doesn't get easier, but you get faster.

i guess i could slow down on my solo spins, and then it would be easier, but for now i'm trying to go faster and improve my time to howth and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

It doesn't get easier, you just go faster

Is a quote from Greg LeMonde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

Puck wrote:
    I was going to describe this as a beginner's question but I began cycling, like most guys, when I was a kid. You know what I mean though. I'm trying to get back into it for fitness (read: because of fatness) and also because pollution kills bunnies... and I like bunnies.

I've attempted to get back into cycling before but always quit after a little bit. If I'm really honest I think this is because I'm a lazy fat-arse but I wasn't always and I know that I am capable of working hard and getting fit. When I cycled before I found that my legs just weren't used to the workout. Maybe I had the bike in too high a gear, I don't know. I remember often going down a step after getting off my bike and having my legs almost give way because the muscles (ha!) were so tired. Anyway, muscles get stronger after a while I know, but how long would this take for me to get used to cycling again?

lose weight if your heavy by eating less and riding more ,that makes it easier.8 and a half years after stopping smoking Im now competing on even terms with my peers(44 and above).Some are in their 50s and uncatchable.If you really want to you will search out all the info needed to improve,its all available. Food intake,bike and training are the keys points but also not overdoing it ,good luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'm going to start training for next seasons club races very early December. Long spins to loose that little extra weight. Now 11st 8oz. Last Jan 1st., 12st 1oz.
    But weight is not a major prob., getting the early miles in is more of a target and, as the guys have said, will stand to you big time. My first club race would be early March. Short TT.

Make out a programme and don't deviate. Got mudguards on a training bike and WILL DO IT. Trained alone last year, used to go out with club but the pace is..............you can't give it large when you want and that's why I went to train on my own.

I always attack hills because that's where you'll be dropped in a race or for eg, Wicklow 200.

Vet.

Advertisement