Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guy Loses Job before he starts! over being honest.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

I get the impression that brousuka is not hearing what he/she would like to hear on here, but he/she is the only one trying to convince him/herself that the employer is in the wrong! Read the replies Brousuka! See a pattern???

(I also get the impression that brousuka is the person in question....:D )

If "Mr. X" thought he was too far over the limit to drive, and in telling his new employer this, then he is telling them that his plan was to turn up to his first day at work over the limit regardless of how he got there. That is what the employer heard and being drunk at work is gross misconduct in a lot of places.

You should always be prepared to give the best impression of yourself to your new/current employers and this means you avoid potential difficulties at all costs.

In their eyes, a "great ambassador for the resort" would be punctual and sober.

This malarky about entertaining reps/clients or whatever is really grasping at straws!!!! LOL:D

If you want to show them you are a "solid chap, good working,honest", you arrive on time and in top form.

He should have had the balls to drive (as others have said, with 4 pints he wouldn't have been over the limit, and he knew at 7.30 that he was up **** creek. Plenty of time to get there!) or not drink the day before. Simple as that.

To say he should be commended for his honesty is mad altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

brousuka wrote:
    Are we all without a moment of insanity? especially at 7am in the morn??!

It wasn't 7am when he started drinking.
    Also, you say you.....he "only" had 4 beers because he had prizegiving to go to - how many would he have had if there was no prizegiving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

there's a difference between being drunk / tipsy and being "above the limit" on a breath test... they only measure the amount of ethanol left in your breath so they aren't a fair indication at all so it is conceivable that while he was sober, he would have been in trouble with a breath test.

just thought I'd point that out... he was still foolish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

brousuka wrote:
    and would be a great ambassador for th resort.

A reggae ambassador?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

The fact that as a sales rep, his whole job would revolve around bull****ting people into spending money, how is he going to fair if he can't even make up a bull**** excuse as to why he was late on his first day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I love the title - loses job "over being honest"

Yeah, he was fired cause he's an honest guy, no other reason...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If you can't make it into your job on your first day because you've had a few the night before then you're not taking the job seriously and it's a disasterous start. We all treat day 1 as our best behaviour as we're trying to impress. We ease off after that. His day one was ringing in late because he had a few pints.

The 4 pints he had. Were they really 4 pints or were they the 4 pints I tell my missus I've had when I've really had 8? For 4 the night before I'd drive. Not for 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    umm, not according to some surveys. Someone who had had four pints (in the past hour) tested as under the limit and someone who had half a glass as over the limit, those things are totally unreliable.

• Advertisement

cocoa wrote:
    umm, not according to some surveys. Someone who had had four pints (in the past hour) tested as under the limit and someone who had half a glass as over the limit, those things are totally unreliable.

It wasn't in the past hour though. It was in the past day. Most sites agree that it takes about 2 hours to get 1 pint (2 units) out of your system.

So if he downed all 4 pints by 11:30pm an average male would have gotten rid of the alcohol by 7:30am. I'm presuming though that he would have taken an hour or two before 11:30pm to have the drinks so that's even more time to get rid of it.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/alcohol/alcohol2.html

What survey was that though that you're quoting. Any links? 4 pints in an hour and people were found under the limit. Must've been pretty big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

title should be changed to " Guy loses job before he starts! over being honestly stupid"

cop on is all that was required in said situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Also why didn't he ring in again at 9 when the HR people would have been in?
    Most companys state that if you're going to be out sick or delayed you have to actually talk to someone and tell them. It sounds more like he didn't want to speak to HR so rang that early as he knew there would be no one to answer.
    It seems like this guy isn't the shapest tool in the box.

It wasn't in the past hour though. It was in the past day. Most sites agree that it takes about 2 hours to get 1 pint (2 units) out of your system.

So if he downed all 4 pints by 11:30pm an average male would have gotten rid of the alcohol by 7:30am. I'm presuming though that he would have taken an hour or two before 11:30pm to have the drinks so that's even more time to get rid of it.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/alcohol/alcohol2.html

What survey was that though that you're quoting. Any links? 4 pints in an hour and people were found under the limit. Must've been pretty big.

again, it's not about alcohol being "in your system" or you being drunk, it's about alcohol being breathed out and picked up (and oxidised for those who want to get technical) by the breath tester. if you drank very recently, you won't register very highly because the alcohol hasn't settled in your throat yet, your breath is still clean.

so it's not to do with how big or how much of a heavy weight you are...

cocoa wrote:
    again, it's not about alcohol being "in your system" or you being drunk, it's about alcohol being breathed out and picked up (and oxidised for those who want to get technical) by the breath tester. if you drank very recently, you won't register very highly because the alcohol hasn't settled in your throat yet, your breath is still clean.

so it's not to do with how big or how much of a heavy weight you are...

Whats the again for? I didn't see you say that the first time.

Would it be likely the alcohol would be sitting in his throat 8 hours after he had his 4 pints?

Whats the again for? I didn't see you say that the first time.

Would it be likely the alcohol would be sitting in his throat 8 hours after he had his 4 pints?
    I honestly don't know, I'm unaware of any studies, but I know a few people who sometimes wake up with a smell of alcohol in their mouth, so yes, it can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

that story doesnt add up.

Either way, i would have done the same if i was the hr manager. He could have arranged other means of transport that morning if it meant that much to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

oblivious wrote:
    Does he have to be given a formal verbal warning and then written one before been let go?

Like most jobs I'd say there was a trial period involved so more than likely its no problem for them to to fire him straight away.

Anyway all the guy can really do is take a valuable lesson from all of this and get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

No ifs, no buts,

Ringing up on the first day (the first day ffs!) of a job saying you will be late as a direct result of drinking says a HELL OF A LOT about your attitude towards work.

His employers were dead right. Who wants the hassle of someone like that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He should have lied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I heard of a fella ringing his boss up on a Monday morning looking for the day off. The excuse?

He was up all night playing games!

Boss wasn't happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

His first mistake was to ring in at 7. He should have waited until someone was in then rang in. His second mistake was to say he was late because of drink. Idiot. How hard is it to come up with a plausible excuse? The car wouldnt start, there you go, easy as that "The car wouldnt start but I'm on my way in."

Advertisement