Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Little boy racers

Options
  • 06-09-2007 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

I just read in the metro that souped up car exhausts are considered noise pollution... They will be illegal from July next year! Yippee, no more being woken up by them racing up and down the spine road...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thread moved to Motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Excellent. Maybe we should tamper with their brakes as well...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What about 'BIG' boy racers? Why is it always the 'little' boy racers that are being picked on?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Excellent. Maybe we should tamper with their brakes as well...?

Yeah, but sshhhuussss, keep it quiet or we will be caught.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,774 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JohnCleary wrote:
    What about 'BIG' boy racers? Why is it always the 'little' boy racers that are being picked on?! :p
    not applicable, surely they are all compensating for 'something' so could never be considered big boys to being with.*

*not my actual opinion, just havin a larf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Excellent :) Seeing piddly little cars with loud exhausts tacked onto them just makes me cringe... Do they think it's goinna double the power of their 60HP engines or something? Apparently the rule is going to be along the lines of "standard exhausts only" which I can see being a problem for some people who have a legitimate reason for uprating their exhaust...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Oh arent you all very big and clever. :rolleyes:

It will be all modified exhausts that will be banned not just noisy ones.

I have a stainless steel exhaust on my car with a Lifetime guarantee, this doesn't create any extra raspy "boy racer" noise , should this fail?? ... i got it for the looks and so it doesnt rust, reliability. - under the new law I will INSTANTLY fail.

What about sports cars such as Imprezas , Evos which have standard exhaust pipes which are VERY loud from the manufacturer... theirs would pass because they are standard (although muuuuch noisier than mine) - why should theirs pass and mine fail.

OP have you even asked yourself these , questions ... quite clearly not

... this was clearly an AH thread that was moved to motors, because its clear you dont have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

which I can see being a problem for some people who have a legitimate reason for uprating their exhaust...
    What's a 'legitimate reason'?

Anan1 wrote:
    What's a 'legitimate reason'?

Looks , reliabilty perhaps

freedom , individuality maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

So for one day every 2 years, the day of its NCT, the boyracermobile will have its standard exhaust fitted...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Blue850 wrote:
    So for one day every 2 years, the day of its NCT, the boyracermobile will have its standard exhaust fitted...:rolleyes:

Not as easy as that, exhausts require welding a lot of work so are expensive to replace and swap around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I'm merely citing what I read in the paper this morning. And no I don't know alot about it (I didn't claim I did) but I'm happy that I'm not going to hear those stupid exhausts. Why someone would change an exhaust for the "look" of it is beyond me?!? As for your own problems. Frankly I couldn't care less!

C_Breeze wrote:
    Looks , reliabilty perhaps

Read daedalus2097's post, the one I quoted. Then you'll understand why i'm asking.

wingding wrote:
    I'm merely citing what I read in the paper this morning. And no I don't know alot about it (I didn't claim I did) but I'm happy that I'm not going to hear those stupid exhausts. Why someone would change an exhaust for the "look" of it is beyond me?!? As for your own problems. Frankly I couldn't care less!

Quite clearly not. I rest my case.

Your attitude and argument is actually infuriatingly stupid.

Have a look at this exact same topic/thread ... only clearly better discussed and with more educated posts and opinions as opposed to stupid ramblings about boy racers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055145783

C_Breeze wrote:

It will be all modified exhausts that will be banned not just noisy ones.

This is why I said about people with legitimate reasons. There are reasons, such as having to replace the exhaust but the original ones aren't available any more. This has been the case for a couple of friends who have had to fit exhausts made for a more powerful engine because theirs simply isn't available any more.

What about cars like the Alfa GTV/Spider? That has the option of a non-standard stainless exhaust from Alfa themselves - will that pass?

Don't get me wrong, I'd dearly love to see every boy racer with a stupid oversized exhaust hung by his tracksuit, but there are other reasons to consider which hopefully the NCTS will take into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Dont worry lads this isint going to happen.

One example of the problems this law will encounter: A standard evo9 from the factory comes fitted with a non-mitsubishi exhaust, the evo exhaust is 4" in diameter and made by HKS as far as I remember. You can also buy this AFTERMARKET exhaust from the shelves in japan. Just like most performance cars from the factory the evo has brembo (not mitsubishi calipers) and a garrett (again not mitusbishi) turbo. So what does the nct crowd do here? Fail a 65k car for having an exhaust that was fitted from the factory but is not made by the manufacturer???

The uk who in my opinion are light years ahead of us in motoring terms have specified dB limits for aftermarket exhausts, the police can do roadside checks with dB readers on any car they want (and that includes bangers with broken exhausts). If the car is above the legal limit then it is taken from the owner on the spot.

Ive got an aftermarket exhaust on my skyline that doesnt make any more noise than the standard one would. And im not taking it off either.

Absolutely, the UK have the right idea. A db check at NCT time rather than an OEM check will be far more useful in ridding the place of exhausts which have no reason for being loud other than to attract the attention of fellow boy racers, and maybe the odd female boy racer... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Being discussed on spin 103 at the moment.

Great post cpoh1 & daedelus

try telling that to the OP

YIPEEE!!!11 :rolleyes:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

cpoh1 wrote:
    The uk who in my opinion are light years ahead of us in motoring terms have specified dB limits for aftermarket exhausts, the police can do roadside checks with dB readers on any car they want (and that includes bangers with broken exhausts). If the car is above the legal limit then it is taken from the owner on the spot.

That makes too much sense and would be too easy for our lot who see no value in laws or policies unless they're over complicated, difficult to implement, and probable unenforceable. Then again, choosing an easy sensible option would mean less hours to claim for their consultant mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

i's easy enough to prove that a 1.0 Polo shouldn't have a 4" exhaust, try proving that a 15 year old jap import model came from factory with a particular system. Mate of mine with a jap import Lancer was pulled ver by a Garda for acting the maggot, the Guard couldn't find any law he was breaking, so inspected his car. brought him to court for his stainless steel exhaust, mate said it was on the car when he brought it in - the case was thrown out. There should be a set legal noise limit set for all cars. Was beside a 06 Ferarri last week on the quays, and it was deafening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

wingding wrote:
    I just read in the metro that souped up car exhausts are considered noise pollution... They will be illegal from July next year! Yippee, no more being woken up by them racing up and down the spine road...
    would you be complaining as much if it was a few rich guys in Lambos and Ferrari's? I doubt it.... This will never work because some people DO have to replace exhausts! are they going to make everyone go back to the Manufacturer to get a "real" exhaust if something happens to their own! Places like fast fit would go out of business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

This drives me freggin insane....

I heard that utter tool box Jim Mc Daid (I think) on Today FM yesterday (Actually... maybe it was Tuesday) evening on about this with some fella from Driver.ie

McDaid made an utter fool of himself. He was moaning and piddling on about Boy Racers doing doughnuts on the road and knocking over old grannies and blah blah blah..... But he couldn't answer one specific question.... How in the name of Jehova is banning after market exhausts going to stop any of this....?

Now, I am not into modified cars at all whatsoever. In fact, nothing pee's me off more than seeing a perfectly nice car fecked up by an oversized exhaust and dumb azzed spoiler. But hey... That's my opinion.... And if some young fella (or young wan) wants to spend their hard earned money on that craic.... then sure, that's their own look out.

Yes.... Some boy racers do drive dangerously.... but is banning after market exhausts going to solve this..... Is it even bloody well remotely related....???

As for the noise issue.... That's fair enough... Then make it so that a car at X thousand revs must have a noise level below Y decibels.... Very easy to measure. Black and white.

So if a young fella wants to spend a few grand sticking a big azzed shiney exhaust under a 96 Punto... as long as it's not too loud and the emmissions are ok.... well off with him in my book.

BnA wrote:

I heard that utter tool box Jim Mc Daid (I think) on Today FM yesterday (Actually... maybe it was Tuesday) evening on about this with some fella from Driver.ie

McDaid made an utter fool of himself. He was moaning and piddling on about Boy Racers doing doughnuts on the road and knocking over old grannies and blah blah blah..... But he couldn't answer one specific question.... How in the name of Jehova is banning after market exhausts going to stop any of this....?

Now, I am not into modified cars at all whatsoever. In fact, nothing pee's me off more than seeing a perfectly nice car fecked up by an oversized exhaust and dumb azzed spoiler. But hey... That's my opinion.... And if some young fella (or young wan) wants to spend their hard earned money on that craic.... then sure, that's their own look out.

Yes.... Some boy racers do drive dangerously.... but is banning after market exhausts going to solve this..... Is it even bloody well remotely related....???

As for the noise issue.... That's fair enough... Then make it so that a car at X thousand revs must have a noise level below Y decibels.... Very easy to measure. Black and white.

So if a young fella wants to spend a few grand sticking a big azzed shiney exhaust under a 96 Punto... as long as it's not too loud and the emmissions are ok.... well off with him in my book.

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!! I agree with you word for word , beggining to end

C_Breeze wrote:
    My thoughts EXACTLY!!!! I agree with you word for word , beggining to end
    Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

BnA wrote:

Of all the the politicians commenting about other drivers Jim McDaid should be the last one... However annoying a 1.1 litre car with a 4" modified exhaust is, its nothing compared to a drunk driver heading the wrong way down a dual carriageway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

C_Breeze wrote:

That's right because putting a big exhaust on your car is really up there with universal suffrage and world peace isn't it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

C_Breeze, colm_mcm, cpoh1
    Just some good examples where this scene is going,more educated (car wise) and strong opinons, most people in the scene would frown upon these stupid exhausts mostly ebay knockoffs of high quality engineering.

Banning modifed or non OEM exhausts is NEVER going (Uniforcable law is bad law) a meeting in the middle will most likely be the outcome with NCT dbl readings (must remember to turn off my Vtec:D ) this wouldnt bother me at all.

Just my 2cents
    P.S:Above mentioned guys good points and well structured :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

C_Breeze wrote:

... this was clearly an AH thread that was moved to motors, because its clear you dont have a clue
    No, if you care to look at my post immediately after his you'll see it came from the Wicklow forum (or more accurately the Greystones & Charlesland Forum).

Isn't presumption a terrible thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

The need to simply bring in db limits AND enforce them across the board. Not just on cars, but on bikes, vans, lorries etc.
    If your vehicle is too loud due to stock/aftermarket/rusted exhaust you should be treated the same, along with everyone else whose vehicle fails the db limits.

Advertisement