Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Little boy racers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Linford wrote:
    Of all the the politicians commenting about other drivers Jim McDaid should be the last one... However annoying a 1.1 litre car with a 4" modified exhaust is, its nothing compared to a drunk driver heading the wrong way down a dual carriageway

Enough of this Jim McDaid bashing (even though he deserves it). It was Jim Higgins of Fine Gael on Today FM on Tuesday evening. Different politican and even a different party.

<sits back and waits for somone to say all politicans are the same anyway>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

wingding wrote:
    I just read in the metro that souped up car exhausts are considered noise pollution... They will be illegal from July next year! Yippee, no more being woken up by them racing up and down the spine road...

Dream on sunshine, i hate politically correct moanbags like you! I dont have an aftermarket exhaust, i find the standard 1 on my Honda vtec is nice enough but I have been considering getting a nice performance full stainless steel system for some time. I mightnt bother getting one, but if this law comes in made by politically correct drips well then ill be ordering my exhaust the very next day just to pi$$ off the likes of you.

Oh, and fines and crap dont bother people like me so no, you wont escape the "noise pollution" just yet.

Another little hobby of mine is revving inbetween speed ramps, i do this purely because the knobs in these little housing estates (estates is usually where these ramops are) who have moaned and campainged for the rms think it`ll slow people down and stop them making noise, well it backfires on the moanbags when im around and using their crappy little housing estates as a rat run to get home to my nice house in the peaceful countryside, because instead of slowing/quietening me down i go out of my way to go faster and make more noise!
    HAHAHA :D:D:D

And theirs loads of silencers/valves mechanisims for toning down exhausts for nct`s and the like these days, especially on the more expensive performance exhaust sysytems so people will still have them fitted.

I do agree that numptys in fiat puntos with 4" big bore backboxes can be annoying sometimes but it aint that bad so stop whining and get a life, grandda.

Ps: whats the db limit they`re using in England, thats probably what they`ll use here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

wingding wrote:
    I just read in the metro that souped up car exhausts are considered noise pollution... They will be illegal from July next year! Yippee, no more being woken up by them racing up and down the spine road...

Where is the spine road

Where is the spine road
    Lol, yeah i want to know too, i might take a little spin up round that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It's one of those laws that would be practically impossible to enforce. The NCT wouldn't make an impact. It's only every 3 years so not a big deal to refit the stock exhaust for the day the car is going in for the NCT. If anybody bothers about the NCT as that's not legally enforced either.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

wingding wrote:
    Boy racers are irritating little tossers and their cars are pathetic. They annoy me intensely.

But then I'm fifty years old. There are already too many things banned, and too many prodnose inspectors and controllers and jobsworths interfering in things that might be annoying to me or someone else but are basically pretty harmless. I have no doubt that some of the things I do or say are annoying to other people. I don't mean to be disrespectful, because he was talking about something a great deal more serious, but I do think of Niemöller's poem. Let the boy racers do their thing (yes, I know, as long as they obey the existing road traffic laws), and let me do mine, and don't feed the control-freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Nuttzy wrote:
    Dream on sunshine, i hate politically correct moanbags like you! I dont have an aftermarket exhaust, i find the standard 1 on my Honda vtec is nice enough but I have been considering getting a nice performance full stainless steel system for some time. I mightnt bother getting one, but if this law comes in made by politically correct drips well then ill be ordering my exhaust the very next day just to pi$$ off the likes of you.

Oh, and fines and crap dont bother people like me so no, you wont escape the "noise pollution" just yet.

Another little hobby of mine is revving inbetween speed ramps, i do this purely because the knobs in these little housing estates (estates is usually where these ramops are) who have moaned and campainged for the rms think it`ll slow people down and stop them making noise, well it backfires on the moanbags when im around and using their crappy little housing estates as a rat run to get home to my nice house in the peaceful countryside, because instead of slowing/quietening me down i go out of my way to go faster and make more noise!

And theirs loads of silencers/valves mechanisims for toning down exhausts for nct`s and the like these days, especially on the more expensive performance exhaust sysytems so people will still have them fitted.

I do agree that numptys in fiat puntos with 4" big bore backboxes can be annoying sometimes but it aint that bad so stop whining and get a life, grandda.

I hope to God you're taking the píss!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Nuttzy wrote:

You just reinforced most peoples opinion of "de mod scene".....

Such a childish attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nuttzy confirms his reputation again. :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It's been a stupid situation for the last few years when the vehicle manufacturers have to comply with noise emission legislation and once a car hits the road, you can put an exhaust on it that makes itr sound like a Harrier jump jet. Thank God someone has had the cop on to introduce this new law, long long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

Nuttzy wrote:

What a muppet you are. Seriously. Are your fellow amoeba's proud ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Its all speculation at this point i think .. nobody knows how its going to work.

It could possibly be something like the system in Germany, whereby the manufacturer of after market accessories has to get approval for the type of vehicle its to be fitted to.

I believe if it was required by Irish law to fit the manufacturers replacement parts it would be deemed anti-competitive by the European Court (If you took it that far).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

No, if you care to look at my post immediately after his you'll see it came from the Wicklow forum (or more accurately the Greystones & Charlesland Forum).

Isn't presumption a terrible thing?

It could have came from the Personal Issues forum from all I care!

My statement was to highlight that this was clealry and uneducated post from quite obviously somewhere outside the Motors forum by a person who doesnt have a clue about Motoring and just jumps on the 'boy racer' bandwagon and believes everything they hear from some looney politician. :rolleyes:

Anyway, issue has already been discussed before and constructive valid points have already been made.

nothing new to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

:rolleyes: GIANT ROLLEYES to anyone who took Nuttzy's post seriously.

Sure some gob****e is trying to close Tipperary Raceway now (http://www.tipperaryraceway.com/). It's a like a war on anyone into cars, modifying or racing them.

Still, in defyance i'm going to keep my loud boom boom exhaust. For €50 I can get it swapped back to the standard one I keep in my shed for the NCT.
    Plus the Guards are usually an ok bunch. Most won't pull you over in Dublin unless you're skidding round corners sideways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Look its simple just set a decible limit on exhausts same as the UK. Give the guards the sound measuring devices and thats it. Banning non OEM exhausts is daft. Hopefully this will come about and end the annoyance these boy racer twats cause

layke wrote:
    Still, in defyance i'm going to keep my loud boom boom exhaust. For €50 I can get it swapped back to the standard one I keep in my shed for the NCT.
    Plus the Guards are usually an ok bunch. Most won't pull you over in Dublin unless you're skidding round corners sideways.

But whats the point ?

Seriously, what advantage does it give you ?

s8n wrote:
    But whats the point ?

Seriouslyu, what advantage does it give you ?

An extra 1100 BHP.....same as painted drum brakes and the bonnet scoops....don't you know anything :D

Coupled with the manifold I have I get extra bhp from my engine.
    Looks better with the body adjustments my car has, a normal one would look ****e.
    Sounds better (although my exhaust isn't actually that loud).

Difference is kids, I live in Dublin beside the M50. We don't have quiet nights here. In fact all I hear at night is cars with big exhausts pass us by yet, I can sleep quite comfortably through it. Perhaps i'm used to the noise, where as you country folk would be used to quiet nights.

layke wrote:
    Coupled with the manifold I have I get extra bhp from my engine.
    Looks better with the body adjustments my car has, a normal one would look ****e.
    Sounds better (although my exhaust isn't actually that loud).

Difference is kids, I live in Dublin beside the M50. We don't have quiet nights here. In fact all I hear at night is cars with big exhausts pass us by yet, I can sleep quite comfortably through it. Perhaps i'm used to the noise, where as you country folk would be used to quiet nights.

Good for you. So that justifies annoying other people. Top attitude

• Advertisement

Indeed.....

Post us up a picture of this modified fiesta. I'm sure she's fast and furious.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

How can they ban something that has EU approval?

Richie.

furtzy wrote:
    So that justifies annoying other people. Top attitude

I'm not justifying anything. I'm keeping it and I doubt i'll ever pay a fine on it.

If some asshole is revving up outside your house i'm sorry to hear that but we don't all do it. I haven't gotten one complaint from any of my neighbours to this date about noise and I plan to keep it that way.

Although, I would like to point out that banning exhaust systems will not stop noise pollution. My induction kit puts out about 50% of the noise from my car.

layke wrote:
    I'm not justifying anything. I'm keeping it and I doubt i'll ever pay a fine on it.

Isn't it great to just selectively obey the law....stay loud and proud! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

BnA wrote:
    This drives me freggin insane....

I heard that utter tool box Jim Mc Daid (I think) on Today FM yesterday (Actually... maybe it was Tuesday) evening on about this with some fella from Driver.ie

McDaid made an utter fool of himself. He was moaning and piddling on about Boy Racers doing doughnuts on the road and knocking over old grannies and blah blah blah.....

Jim 'lets get pissed and play chicken with oncoming motorists down the wrong side of the motorway' McDaid ?

That's gas....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Nuttzy wrote:

If you come my way you will be going home with an 80 Euro ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Would be delighted if GTC and Nutzy met up sometime, can you imagine?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I say bring on the potato vigilantes. ;)

[edit] ...the BIG potato vigilantes! [/edit]

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Be intresting to see if they do anything to motorkbikes, tractors trucks and busses, all of which tend to be louder then most cars exhausts i have heard, modified or not.
    One point to note is that they are against modified exhausts. If you replace your exhaust with a different one, no matter what type, you are not modifying the exhaust, just the car and thus not offending poor mcdaid...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

According to the reports, the legislation will be for noise pollution reasons and has nothing to do with OEM or spurious manufacturers and I would make the assumption that it will affect all vehicles, not just cars.

It would be very difficult to enforce an OEM rule as it would firstly be anti competitive (would it mean that you could no longer use Kwik Fit?) but also most manufacturers are in fact assemblers and do not make the components themselves but get the parts made by other companys. The fact is that during a car models manufacturing period, the manufacturer may use components from different part manufacturers.

Advertisement