Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Outstanding car finance

Options
  • 06-09-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Just did a finance check on a car I was interested in. Turns out that it's subject to a finance agreement until Nov. 2008. I rang the finance company to find out if I would become liable for the outstanding finance if I bought the car. One snooty individual refused to give any information whatsoever as I was not a customer.
    Can anyone advise me on what the situation is in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Don't touch it unless the finance is cleared.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Have you asked the seller about this?

It's often kosher to write 2 cheques. 1 to finance co. to clear loan (and release title) and a 2nd one to seller for any balance between finance amount owed, and selling price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Stephen wrote:
    Don't touch it unless the finance is cleared.

Exactly, especially if it wasn't made clear to you from the outset by the seller. Plenty of cleared cars for sale.

Advertisement