Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUV hater

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Stekelly wrote:
    Should people have to demonstarte that they know ho to use all the features of things before they are allowed to buy them?

Bottom line is people are free to buy what they like with their own money and other people should have beter things to do than moan about them.

No and I didn't say they should...but surely people should know what exactly the vehicle they're driving is capable of and how it could be a possible danger in the wrong hands, no?

I'm not moaning (please read my whole post), I couldn't give a damn what people choose to drive....my problem is with how they choose to drive them.,

Obviously I'm just another jealous hatchback driver eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

smemon wrote:
    i hate all SUV drivers who aren't farmers or don't need an SUV.

i hear people saying they buy it for safety - yeah, protect themselves.. what about the poor fecker in an opel corsa who comes up against you :mad: He has no chance in a head on collision.

Selfishness, that's all it is.

I'd say 90% of SUV drivers don't need an SUV.

I am 6' 3" , and I find driving an SUV is generally more comfortable and spacious than say a Micra.
    Some car's have too little headroom even with the seat fully backed.
    Damn Japanese:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

6' 6" and there's never been a car I couldn't fit into handy enough and I've been driving a small Jap coupe for 3 years,so thats a bogus excuse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I hate the SUV drivers that have compost bins, recycle and preach to the kids about Green issues.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jealousy ftl

How can you bitch about SUVs when you probably drive a car when you could just take the bus or cycle a bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

It's bad here in Texas. Folks forget that not only are they wasteful when only one person is in one, but they also are nearly twice the weight of a passenger car - and do twice as much damage to roadways, wearing them down prematurely. No real reason to own one other than to try and win a collision:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XpwDK8EBsaY

Wez
    dodgyme wrote:
    maybe should be in motors with this one but its not really about motors. I hate unnecessary SUV's (no yellow jacket, no hitch and not farmers). Now I know "necessary" is a relative concept however when I see the owners of these F88kers in these killing machines I cant help but look them in the eye (in dublin no go traffic you could nearly have a conversation) scan the monster (the vehicle I mean) they are driving in a way obvious to them and shake my head at them in the most possible disapproving way I can. I started doing this without thinking because I hate them so much. Just wondering if anyone else gives the disapproving stare of disgust/scan scenario. ? (no time wasters please)

Jealousy ftl

How can you bitch about SUVs when you probably drive a car when you could just take the bus or cycle a bike?

My guess is because a car does half as much wear and tear on the carriageways as an SUV, uses far less resources to make, wears down tires less quickly, consumes less petrol or diesel, spews out less pollution, and is easier to recycle once it's life is over.

Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Naikon wrote:
    I am 6' 3" , and I find driving an SUV is generally more comfortable and spacious than say a Micra.
    Some car's have too little headroom even with the seat fully backed.
    Damn Japanese:D
    desperation mate desperation - I see the bottom of the barrell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

ah in fairness like ya could fit in a micra, ex of mine had a citroen AX, feckin tiny, but the cruiser is far more comfortable, it has space cos its BIGGER, are people not entitledto have large comfy cars? lets all go back to the horse and cart and wipe our ar$es wit docleaves :)

ah in fairness like ya could fit in a micra, ex of mine had a citroen AX, feckin tiny, but the cruiser is far more comfortable, it has space cos its BIGGER, are people not entitledto have large comfy cars? lets all go back to the horse and cart and wipe our ar$es wit docleaves :)
    great points:rolleyes: where would dicussion be without the stupid "lets go back to horse and cart" opinion. If we did that the SUV idiot would probably have to have something resembling the Budweiser ad with 15 clisdales pulling a cabin with a marble fireplace and a billards table for the kids to be warm and active while dropping them to the local school. SUV drivers plain and simple are spanners, greedy foolish vain people who should have ingraved on there headstones when they die " here lays a greed, ignorance selfish moron - rest in peace --err"

• Advertisement

Jealousy ftl

Or car share.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

dodgyme wrote:
    SUV drivers plain and simple are spanners, greedy foolish vain people who should have ingraved on there headstones when they die " here lays a greed, ignorance selfish moron - rest in peace --err"

The "I own a Range Rover Sports" therefore I am type people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I fvcking detest SUV's and their drivers. And no, it's not begrudgery. I regularly drool over passing ferraris, porsches, jags, astons etc which cost far more than your Hyundai Santa Fé etc. with a sense of admiration for the person clearly driving their dream car which presumably they've worked hard for.

The fcktard in the SUV who thinks the fact they're two steps above me on the financial ladder and thereby entitled to tailgate, cut corners, hog lanes, 'dart' into gaps forcing me to have to break sharply, endangering pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists just because they're such a ****ty driver they think they need the extra protection of driving an industrial/agricultural tool rather than a car and to hell with everyone else? They should be shot*.

* slight exageration, though I do feel they should have their driving licence restricted to only being allowed drive a Fiat Seicento for the next decade

[obviously, if the vehicle is necessary for off-roading, hauling horse-boxes etc. it's acceptable, however I've noticed it's never the people who actually need a jeep who drive like **** in them]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Maybe people choose SUVs because of the atriocious roads here in Ireland? They're not my type of car but I don't have a problem with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I enjoy driving my SUV. I like the look of some of the newer ones and may change shortly. The only 'car' I'd consider over an SUV would be an Audi Estate, lovely car.

My money, my choice.

Sleepy wrote:
    I regularly drool over passing ferraris, porsches, jags, astons etc which cost far more than your Hyundai Santa Fé etc. with a sense of admiration for the person clearly driving their dream car which presumably they've worked hard for.

The fcktard in the SUV who thinks the fact they're two steps above me on the financial ladder and thereby entitled to tailgate, cut corners, hog lanes, 'dart' into gaps forcing me to have to break sharply, endangering pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists just because they're such a ****ty driver they think they need the extra protection of driving an industrial/agricultural tool rather than a car and to hell with everyone else?

Thats ridiculous. You're putting your thoughts in other peoples heads. How do you know the guy driving the Aston isn't some silver-spooner that has never done a days work and thinks he's above you?
    How do you know the SUV driver didn't work his arse off the car he dreamed of owning?
    Do supercar drivers invariably exhibit extreme manners on the road while every SUV driver behaves like a maniac?

You can tell one thing and one thing only about people by the car they drive and that is: the car they drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Thumbs up from this quarter for the idea of levying an added "stupidity tax" on non-essential 4 x 4 drives. Studies have shown that 90% of these never see off-road use - so what's their point? These days when a new D reg SUV/ "axles of evil" parks outside, the owner returns to find a small philisophical query on a chit on their windscreen, which reads "Noting your Dublin Reg, for what purpose do you actually need a 4x4 jeep?"

I used to drive my car a lot more/ all the time, but about 2 years ago I started using my bicycle again - advantages:

1) It takes me 15 minutes to get from Ranelagh to Dorset St, as opposed to 1 hour plus during peak periiods.
    2) As I now cycle daily I feel a lot healthier
    3) I never have any hassle parking city-centre
    4) It saves me a sh1t load of money
    5) It wakes me up and enthuses me for the day ahead
    6) Far less of a carbon footprint
    7) If I want to have a pint, provided I am careful and select slower-moving trafficked routes, it is relatively safe and I dont lose my license. And if I have a fair few drinks, there's no problem leaving the two wheels locked en-situ while I cab home for the night.

As a result I now only use my car once or twice a week. If you are fortunate enough to live relatively close to your needs its worth a try.

I would agree with the criticism that far too few ear high visability gear - there is no excuse for this. However other road users should be aware that road-engineering, such as lights, one-ways, etc are never predicated in favour of cyclists, and thus resulting cyclists are frequently required to abide by traffic restrictions brought-about and designed for cars; what traffic-light sequence have you ever seen predicated towards cyclists?

Cycle-ways in this country are counter-productive as they have clearly been designed by people who last cycled when they were 10. Poor engineering whereby cycleways roll up and roll down with every private driveway renders the lanes useless; this is compounded by cycle-lanes that have yields where the path meets a small road - however were the cyclist to stay on the main road beside the cycleway, they would not have to yield. Added to this is that there are no maintanence programs for cleaning the paths - despite the fact that it is an inevitability that broken glass, stones and chips always end up in at the side. And you can throw in parked cars and pedestrians for added measure. And then theres the-now-you-see-them-now-you-dont lanes that are non-manditory, and are demarcated by broken white lines - these are really dangerous, as they epitomise the worst case scenario whereby the motorists perceives that the cyclist has a cycleway (and safety) - except when they, the motorist needs to drive on the path - fukcing lethal :mad:

I'm sure most SUV drivers have worked very hard to pay for them and I'm sure some of the Aston drivers are silver spoon twats as well. I was making the point that I don't hate SUV's or their drivers because they're wealthy and can afford such vehicles, I hate them because of the way the majority of SUV drivers behave on Irish roads.

you can tell a lot more about someone than the car they drive from what they drive:

someone driving a ferrari has a few quid in the bank.
    someone driving a bright pink car probably has a pretty outgoing personality.
    someone driving a twincam is almost guaranteed to be a boy racer.
    someone driving an SUV doesn't give a **** if half the country thinks they're a wanker.
    someone driving a 94 Toyota Starlett either isn't loaded or doesn't believe in spending money on cars.

zuutroy wrote:
    You can tell one thing and one thing only about people by the car they drive and that is: the car they drive.
    no way, you can tell the are a g$b****e 100% if they drive an SUV.

• Advertisement

I used to cycle to work ODS, but when it got to the stage where I was being run off the road twice or three times a week by the soccer moms of Blackrock in their three ton single child carriers I had to give it up before I either lost my life to one of them or gave myself an aneurism from the rage I'd feel at the fact most of them were such **** drivers they didn't even notice the fact they'd almost killed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

wyk wrote:
    My guess is because a car does half as much wear and tear on the carriageways as an SUV, uses far less resources to make, wears down tires less quickly, consumes less petrol or diesel, spews out less pollution, and is easier to recycle once it's life is over.

Wez

so SUVs wear away carriageways? :rolleyes:

Sleepy, tis not about money in the bank, tis about choices, I choose t drive a Landcruiser, 90% of the time i'm in the city, but its my choice, I'll be Fckued if some 'greenie is going to tell m what to drive based in their perceptions of whats good for us

From Google (Previusly, I had heard the figure of a 40 tonne equating with 10,000 cars)
    40 tonne truck does as much road surface damage as 9600 cars

The average reduction in CO2 emissions from new cars sold in 24 countries in Europe (the EU25 minus Malta) in 2006 was 0.6% compared to the prior year, dropping from an average 161g/km to an average 160g/km, according to an analysis by the organization Transport and Environment (T&E).
    At the same time, the average weight of cars sold in those countries rose 18 kg (1.3%) from 1,356 kg in 2005 to 1,374 kg in 2006. From: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/09/reduction-in-eu.html

Its fair to say then that that although the weight of a 40 tonne lorry equates with that of 30 cars, the actual damage/ impact to road surface done by 1 truck is that of 10 thousand cars. It seems clear that weight when concentrated must an exponential factor. If that be so, then a mid-size SUV might have an impact of 10 -100 times that of an average family saloon.

One or two more stats:

From Yahoo Answers -
    There isn't a realistic "average" weight. Some SUVs weigh barely 2000 lbs, and others are on the sunny side of 8000 or more.

While Wiki has a very informative page devoted to crits of 4x4s - covering
    1Safety; 2.1 Rollover, 2.2 Risk to other drivers, 2.3 Visibility and Backover Deaths, 2.4 Wide Bodies in Narrow Lanes, 2.5 Recent improvements, 2.6 Psychology, 2.7 False Sense of Security, 3 Marketing practices, 4 Tax benefits, 5 Fuel economy, 6 Pollution, 7 Weight, 8 Size
    Available here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_sport_utility_vehicles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I just think I'd would prefer a car over a fancy jeep.

My girlfriend's father has a Landcruiser and gives it a proper work-out, driving around the farm, carrying cattle nuts etc. in the back, and towing trailers up passage ways and around fields. No one would give an X5 or equivalent that much work in case you damage it!

Any other use of a jeep in Ireland is insanity. They are made to go off-road and pull/push things cars can't.

I do have a small grudge against the new landcrusers, it's too close to a thing you want people to see and go "wow, nice car", and all of them I've seen dont have a pick of dirt on them. What a waste of money and diesel.

I'll be Fckued if some 'greenie is going to tell m what to drive based in their perceptions of whats good for us
    Ah ya keep killing the planet and being a selfish neaderthal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If people want to drive them it's their choice. I don't begrudge them. They must be driving different roads to me though and some previously unknown magical parking space.

Sleepy, tis not about money in the bank, tis about choices, I choose t drive a Landcruiser, 90% of the time i'm in the city, but its my choice, I'll be Fckued if some 'greenie is going to tell m what to drive based in their perceptions of whats good for us

I have a Landcruiser, does that count?

I laugh at people who whinge about Fuel prices, I am currently able to fill the Cruiser for about 15c/L, we grow our own Biodiesel, so my 4L straight six is less polluting than a 1L Starlet.

Your argument is remarkably flawed. RE Vegtable oil being the great solution, it has been estimated that were Ireland to convert all arable land to bio-fuel crops, it would still only meet 10-15% of the island's transport requirements. Biofuels have a significant but small part to conribute - but on their own its a false economy.
    Landcruisers scare other people on the road into staying out of my way, I just dont get that sort of reaction when I'm driving my little BMW, people will try to cut you off, sneak out in front of you etc, but no one really wants totangle with a cruiser

to the OP, What gives you the right to decide whats acceptable for people to drive, if I parked alongside you in my Landcruiser exactly what would you say to me??

Someone also posted about the F150, they are available in RHD, we have them here in Australia, couple of my mates have F250's with the 7.3L Turbodiesel V8, now they're big cars

Kindly stay over in Australia - there's already enough unneccesssary agro on Irish roads. This years quota for agressive **** is over-subscribed - and even more so for those in SUVs :(

One final thing, from Australian Govt Website -
    "Australia's Ecological Footprint in the Living Planet Report 2004 was 7.7 global hectares (gha) per person1. This is over 3 times the average global Footprint (2.2 gha), and well beyond the level of what the planet can regenerate on an annual basis - an equivalent of about 1.8 global hectares per person per year.... The average Victorian needs 8.1 global hectares of land to sustain his or her lifestyle. If everyone on the planet lived like Victorians, we would need more than four Earths to support us."
    http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/ecologicalfootprint/ausFootprint/default.asp

Australians have the largest carbon footprint per capita on the globe. Go Australia, Go!... or shock! Maybe Australia might be better off if it did have some "greenie"s :eek:

Mahatma coat
    "to the OP... if I parked alongside you in my Landcruiser exactly what would you say to me??"

I would probably do what I said in the OP. The making is in the man not the car. I dont need a Landcruiser to intimidate people. I am man enough not to need to intimidate people to feel like a man. I feel nothing but sorrow for the aggressive antics shown by you and your kind and they dont intimidate me, trust me on that one. You'd find out whan you's step outside the Landcruiser.

lol..internet threats are deadly

While global warming is something to worry about, that's not the reason I object to SUV's. It's ****wittery like your previous comment:
    Landcruisers scare other people on the road into staying out of my way, I just dont get that sort of reaction when I'm driving my little BMW, people will try to cut you off, sneak out in front of you etc, but no one really wants totangle with a cruiser
    So, you're a **** driver who's unable to react quick enough to other **** drivers mistakes so you buy something you can intimidate other people with? You shouldn't have a license.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What's worse, someone driving a 2L SUV or a 5L saloon?

For me, it's more the physical size of them. Especially the dopey Texasesque pickup yokes.

Arrogant or bad driving with a luxury saloon is one thing but with big SUVs, they are designed to be imposing and intimidating and it works.

All vehicles do. Heavy SUV's just simply wear them out faster. Or did you miss simple physics in school?

It may not be a problem there like it is in the States, where they are finding the roads aren't lasting as long as they used to with the same amount of vehicular traffic.

Wez

dodgyme wrote:
    Mahatma coat
    "to the OP... if I parked alongside you in my Landcruiser exactly what would you say to me??"

I would probably do what I said in the OP. The making is in the man not the car. I dont need a Landcruiser to intimidate people. I am man enough not to need to intimidate people to feel like a man. I feel nothing but sorrow for the aggressive antics shown by you and your kind and they dont intimidate me, trust me on that one. You'd find out whan you's step outside the Landcruiser.

Get kicked in the face much BigMan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

ya suv's suck.

Get kicked in the face much BigMan?
    No I dont and I dont need an SUV (or a pitbull terrier or anything else) to frighten people, unlike your good self.

People don't drive them to frighten other people. At least I wouldn't. I just think they look cool, have good powerful engines etc. I couldn't give a monkeys about carbon footprint. Thats just the latest trendy buzzword.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Have heard the excuse more than once from women while Stateside that they bought their SUV to feel safer on the road. Then hear news reports about SUVs flipping over all the time. Something about drivers taking corners too fast on roadways and losing control. Doubtful that most of the owners over here have any idea how to drive one, onroad or off. So much for safety... Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My own dislike of SUVs is due to

Absolutely atrocious driving
    Many drivers in my experience, have no spatial sense in them, and seem to care even less
    Atrocious parking
    Aggressive, often testosterone fuelled, driving (fat balding men for some reason :rolleyes: )
    Christmas tree lights and high beams
    Why buy one, when much smaller MPVs will do exactly the same thing with the lil uns?

"They make me feel safe" - Inherently idiotic comment IMO.

Do people who buy these things for "safety" not trust their own driving? Are they implying that they are such poor drivers and therefore a risk to their children or family?

IMO there should be special driving licences for them , i.e prove you can drive the damn thing before menacing everyone else.

As for the money bit , well if you were clever enough to get all that money why be stupid enough to buy something that depreciates far faster, in cash terms, than all the little washing machines around you?

I heard the protect the kids crap also - another loada rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

I have two cars, a 06 Corolla (30 mpg, 1.8 L V4) & a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport SUV (15 mpg, 4 L V6).

I have both cars for the following reasons.

06 Corolla I bought simply for the gas millage and the retention price when reselling. Its a great little car and I like it a lot, very practical & economical. Myself the wife and two kids can fit in the car no problems, great stuff. My wife mainly uses this car.

1999 Ford Explorer Sport I bought and use for work, no more no less. Its a beast of a car with lots of room and lots of power. My work means I have to travel to various places around town with the SUV full of computer parts, servers and the like. It gives me plenty of room for all of that and more. It costs me about $17 a week in Petrol (at current prices). My insurance is $39 a month and my Tax on the vehicle is $40 a year.

Now if people have a problem with my use of this big gas guzzler well tough sh*ite to you all you feel that way.

Irish people can begrudge people what they like to have and can be jealous of what other people have. I am pretty sure, if your insurance and tax on your car cost you as much as it does on my one here in the States I know for a fact that most of the begrudger would be driving one... If people can afford to drive one, so be it. We talk about the oil reserves of the world, but there is a lot more products that we use every day that requires oil not only cars so for thoes who moan about the amount of petrol these use, look at your own contribution to the oil issue. As I said, 17 bucks a week is the amount of petrol I use. I am pretty sure that most of the sh*ite heads with the go faster stripes in Ireland use a whole lot more petrol racing to the red light than I do in a week.

Its all about the purpose of the vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Only pretentious, wannabe, tossers use SUV's to drive their wee darlings to school.....

You see the fools going 5 mph in traffic every morning to work and 5 mph back - yeah you would need a big jeep to do that alright!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I have a bigger problem with these Lexus Hybrid cars which claim to be green while hiding a 5 litre engine behind an electric engine the equivalent of 1 litre.

Dont get me started on those, they get a vrt exclusion if i remember, meanwhile someone in a hatchback thats a fcukload more economical gets shafted, if theyre going to introduce incentives to go green it needs to be fair with no loophole to allow the landed gentry to keep their trucks on the cheap.
    That said, im all against the govt. using every opportunity to grab cash without concern for how its spent on $hite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

Have heard the excuse more than once from women while Stateside that they bought their SUV to feel safer on the road. Then hear news reports about SUVs flipping over all the time. Something about drivers taking corners too fast on roadways and losing control. Doubtful that most of the owners over here have any idea how to drive one, onroad or off. So much for safety... Ha!

Most SUVs did not suffer from this problem and those few which were prone have eliminated it.

Why can't someone have an SUV because they like it? Why is it so fashionable to dislike SUV's. Personally, I am ambivalent and find it hard to get excited about someone elses's choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

kowloon wrote:
    Dont get me started on those, they get a vrt exclusion if i remember, meanwhile someone in a hatchback thats a fcukload more economical gets shafted, if theyre going to introduce incentives to go green it needs to be fair with no loophole to allow the landed gentry to keep their trucks on the cheap.
    That said, im all against the govt. using every opportunity to grab cash without concern for how its spent on $hite.

How great to see such unbiased and un-chippy contributions!

1999 Ford Explorer Sport I bought and use for work, no more no less. Its a beast of a car with lots of room and lots of power. My work means I have to travel to various places around town with the SUV full of computer parts, servers and the like.

snip--

Its all about the purpose of the vehicles.

What's wrong with an estate car??

I could understand the tractor if you needed to tow heavy loads or go off-road, the streets of Dublin ain't that bad!

Right just to clear something up, I said that the Landcruiser intimidates other road users in a way my BMW does not, I didnt buy a Cruiser with this in mind but tis a nice added bonus when jostling for position in trafic, I bought the cruiser cos its a large comfy Diesel that can still getupandgo on the highway, havin the 4WD comes in handy now and again aswell.

as for reaction times Sleepy, its 2.5Ton of steel propelled by a diesel 6, reacting aint the problem if you cut me off, stopping might be tho. people giveout about inconsiderate SUV drivers, they aint half as much problem as morons in Micra's who dont understand the stopping distance required by a vehicle of that size and assume that if they can stop inside of a carlength the SUV behind them must be able to do the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Right just to clear something up, I said that the Landcruiser intimidates other road users in a way my BMW does not, I didnt buy a Cruiser with this in mind but tis a nice added bonus when jostling for position in trafic,

Excellent. The next time I tell myself I'm being too prejudicial re: the majority SUV drivers; I'll remember this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

hshortt wrote:
    I enjoy driving my SUV. I like the look of some of the newer ones and may change shortly. The only 'car' I'd consider over an SUV would be an Audi Estate, lovely car.

My money, my choice.

As a fellow IT professional I SHAME you.

We don't drive SUV's, we drive saloon cars. The Maza RX8 is really our choice of car unless ofc you're the IT manager in which case you may purchase a Merc.

! ! ! S H A M E ! ! !

Right just to clear something up, I said that the Landcruiser intimidates other road users in a way my BMW does not, I didnt buy a Cruiser with this in mind but tis a nice added bonus when jostling for position in trafic
    jostling for position in traffic? Seriously? Did you get your license in the amnesty or are you still on your provisional? Either way, please give it back before you kill someone.
    as for reaction times Sleepy, its 2.5Ton of steel propelled by a diesel 6, reacting aint the problem if you cut me off, stopping might be tho. people giveout about inconsiderate SUV drivers, they aint half as much problem as morons in Micra's who dont understand the stopping distance required by a vehicle of that size and assume that if they can stop inside of a carlength the SUV behind them must be able to do the same thing.
    Again, more proof of your clear ineptitude behind the wheel. Whose responsibility is it if you go into the back of said Micra? Are you incapable of judging the breaking distance you need in order to stay that far behind the Micra? Or do you just not value the Micra driver's life enough and feel it's okay for you to tailgate them in your 2.5 tons of steel because you can afford a big jeep?

Seriously, Mahatma coat, you're the walking embodiement of the stereotype of SUV drivers being bashed in this thread.

• Advertisement

My work means I have to travel to various places around town with the SUV full of computer parts, servers and the like..
    What a loada crap - I did the same type of job a while ago in a Polo. Designed for city driving unlike your Silly SUV and never had an issue or space problem filling the car with servers/computer parts (what a cop out). Ye SUV drivers make my sick - you tell us why you have them - all bogus excuses! and then tell us ye dont care if we dont like it and that we are jealous which is more rubbish. Some people have a brain and think about things other then themselves and their ego's and hence will not (also out of choice) buy an SUV. I will never buy an SUV and when I meet people that do I feel sorry for them.

Advertisement