Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUV hater

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

SUV driver + complaining about petrol costs = smack on the head

For the Jackeen gentry and other SUV cnuts, so you can look like your rugged vehicles sometimes see obstacles bigger than a speed bump http://www.sprayonmud.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Sleepy wrote:
    jostling for position in traffic? Seriously? Did you get your license in the amnesty or are you still on your provisional? Either way, please give it back before you kill someone.
    right so an example, yer in traffic, right lane, wanna go left, your lane slower other lane. you see a gap coming up in yer rear view mirror,indicate, stick the nose out to move off into it. the guy coming in the t'other lane will brake and let you in if his other option is to tangle with the back of my tray, if you do same thing in small car the other person is morelikely to try to overtake you before you fully merge
    Again, more proof of your clear ineptitude behind the wheel. Whose responsibility is it if you go into the back of said Micra? Are you incapable of judging the breaking distance you need in order to stay that far behind the Micra? Or do you just not value the Micra driver's life enough and feel it's okay for you to tailgate them in your 2.5 tons of steel because you can afford a big jeep?

Seriously, Mahatma coat, you're the walking embodiement of the stereotype of SUV drivers being bashed in this thread.

I'm not talkin about tailgatein here, I'm talkin about when yer nippin along thru town at 50KPH and some daft bint just stops cos she sees something, or worse, they sort of just pull over and park, one sec hummin along in traffic next thing theres a car stopped half way in the road and this daft ****er is about to open his door,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

daft ****er is about to open his door,
    Only daft ****ers are in the SUVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Just ban them in city and built-up areas and tax the hell out of them...the added cost of extra tax will allow SUV drivers to display and communicate their wealth and status to others in an even more pronounced fashion. everyone wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

right so an example, yer in traffic, right lane, wanna go left, your lane slower other lane. you see a gap coming up in yer rear view mirror,indicate, stick the nose out to move off into it. the guy coming in the t'other lane will brake and let you in if his other option is to tangle with the back of my tray, if you do same thing in small car the other person is morelikely to try to overtake you before you fully merge
    If the other driver has to break, you're trying to pull into too small a gap.
    I'm not talkin about tailgatein here, I'm talkin about when yer nippin along thru town at 50KPH and some daft bint just stops cos she sees something, or worse, they sort of just pull over and park, one sec hummin along in traffic next thing theres a car stopped half way in the road and this daft ****er is about to open his door,
    Same difference mate, if you're not leaving enough space for an emergency stop between you and the car in front of you, you're tailgating and are responsible for any and all repercussions of doing so.

Seriously, do you actually have a full license? It's fcuking worrying if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

What's worse, someone driving a 2L SUV or a 5L saloon?

You can't tar all SUVs with the same brush. It's not like everyone here is driving a Hummer or a Continental...

Some drivers like the safety and security of the higher position and thus greater visibility (in both senses of the word, seeing and being seen).

I don't drive an SUV, for the record, but I don't have a problem with those who do.

I have a bigger problem with these Lexus Hybrid cars which claim to be green while hiding a 5 litre engine behind an electric engine the equivalent of 1 litre.

Exactly, stick any motor in and its a hybrid, that new lexus especially.

Green exemtions, no congestion charge in England.

They are doing a hybrid sports car next I think, hfsx or something like that.

Most "green" cars are junk or dont achieve what they claim, and alot of "suvs" are now two wheel drive small capacity petrols like the new quasqui, dodge caliber etc.

Aparently the making of the large battery for the prius causes a lot of pollution in itself.

Its all a very grey area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

What's wrong with an estate car??

I could understand the tractor if you needed to tow heavy loads or go off-road, the streets of Dublin ain't that bad!

I live in Florida bro... ex dub .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

dodgyme wrote:
    What a loada crap - I did the same type of job a while ago in a Polo. Designed for city driving unlike your Silly SUV and never had an issue or space problem filling the car with servers/computer parts (what a cop out). Ye SUV drivers make my sick - you tell us why you have them - all bogus excuses! and then tell us ye dont care if we dont like it and that we are jealous which is more rubbish. Some people have a brain and think about things other then themselves and their ego's and hence will not (also out of choice) buy an SUV. I will never buy an SUV and when I meet people that do I feel sorry for them.

Jayis there lad... you feel sorry for people on their car choice. If I was you I would worry less about other people. By the sounds of your post you will or have an ulcer due to the amount of stress your under because people choose to drive big cars..

SUV's are cool man..

dodgyme wrote:
    Only daft ****ers are in the SUVs

see its that sort of blanket bigotedignorance and righteousbegrudgery that'll have ya in an early grave

If I was you I would worry less about other people.
    Thanks for the concern for my health but if you really were concerned about others and not so selfish you wouldnt drive a coupla ton vehicle. You see that is what SUV drivers dont get - thinking about others but themselves unless with clear sarcasm like you did.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

see its that sort of blanket bigotedignorance and righteousbegrudgery that'll have ya in an early grave
    then we dont have the stress of having to push everybody off the road unlike you

dodgyme wrote:
    Thanks for the concern for my health but if you really were concerned about others and not so selfish you wouldnt drive a coupla ton vehicle. You see that is what SUV drivers dont get - thinking about others but themselves unless with clear sarcasm like you did.:rolleyes:
    Incidently does anyone know the difference in weight between an average small car and an average SUV in Ireland.? (excluding the owners!:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

biko wrote:
    For the Jackeen gentry and other SUV cnuts, so you can look like your rugged vehicles sometimes see obstacles bigger than a speed bump http://www.sprayonmud.com/

That website is pretty informative alright - and also how it markets itself to SUV owners
    If you’ve got a 4X4 or off-roader, Sprayonmud will send a message to anyone who disapproves or is just plain envious – you use your off-roader, off the road as well as on it

Sprayonmud is NOT to be used to obscure number-plates or the lights on your vehicle. This, of course, is illegal and while it is not an endorsable offence, if your number plates cannot be read at a reasonable distance – or photographed by a speed camera – you could face a hefty fine.

Interestingly, beside the above is a photo with guess what - an SUV with the sprayed on mud covering much of the reg plate. Note also that it states "it is not an endorsable offence," - ie no penalty points will be issued. We all know that speeding and other offences only dropped when points were brought in - not when it was just fines; therefore for the website to set out the information which it does actually encourages speeding. In that regard to my mind that website sees SUV drivers - its potential customers - as:

1) Likely to be interested in avoiding detection while speeding and / or being likely to be involved in other road offences

2) Pretentious to a point that they need to distract "anyone who disapproves or is just plain envious". The use of the word "envious" would seem to indicate that SUV owners own such vehicles in order "to flaunt it".

3) Insecure and desperate to "keep up with the jones" - The website's info closes with an interesting line "Sprayonmud can be applied to your vehicle in seconds, but just be careful the neighbours don’t catch you using it!"

All in all, quite an eye-opener that little website ;)

dodgyme wrote:
    Thanks for the concern for my health but if you really were concerned about others and not so selfish you wouldnt drive a coupla ton vehicle.
    So SUV Drivers are selfish for choosing to drive nice cars, whereas your reasons are completley selfless for wanting all of our cars Banned
    You see that is what SUV drivers dont get - thinking about others but themselves unless with clear sarcasm like you did.:rolleyes:

What makes you think we dont care about others, could it be possible to care about others while still looking after yourself, you seem to be the one with the blinkered world view and inability to accept that there are other points of view other than yer own

I live in Florida bro... ex dub .....

oops! well I suppose there is a different attitude there to 'em than 'ere. :o

PS I've not read the whole thread.(too fcuking long(winded))....

So SUV Drivers are selfish for choosing to drive nice cars, whereas your reasons are completley selfless for wanting all of our cars Banned
    Eh, you don't drive cars. You drive SUV's. There's rather a big difference. You know, with one being twice the size of the other and all.
    What makes you think we dont care about others, could it be possible to care about others while still looking after yourself, you seem to be the one with the blinkered world view and inability to accept that there are other points of view other than yer own
    Your own description of your driving proves quite clearly that when you're on the road, at least, you couldn't give a monkeys about anyone else's safety or well being.

I love the way that SUV driver keep trying to claim it's jealousy / begrudgery / extreme leftism that has people giving out about them. It's none of those things for most people, they're simply unsafe on urban roads. The god-complex most SUV drivers get from their elevated position in the driver's seat and the x tons of metal around them is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mahatma coat, stop trolling.

Terry, any chance you could merge the O/T comments from here into the 'ultimate road trip' link in my sig?

I don't want to totally haul this off-topic and Zambia's contributing what are very relevant posts to that topic. (cheers btw Zambia)

Done.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Whoever said SUV are 'nice cars' :confused:

They're ugly as pig - all of them. I've yet to see any SUV that breaks the "box-high-on-wheels" dogma: none of them has yet departed from the 50 year-old standard Land Rover shape.

That is a nice car.

For the record, I drive a Subaru - because I wanted the safety factor and driving pleasure of 4WD and the comfort of a saloon car, without the encumberance.

Since I don't tow, nor have sheeps to cart about, can't see the utility of an SUV for the life of me - they're not allowed to drive faster or benefit from any other on-road 'priviledges' than standard cars, so what on earth people see in them, is entirely beyond me...

My opinion of course, each to their own - and no, I don't begrudge people their SUVs (I'm just a bit sad they're depleting what little oil is left way faster than necessary :D)

I drove a 1 litre Daihatsu Charade van.
    One night it got me from Dún Laoghaire to Leixlip, From my house to the spar on the other side of town (3 mile round trip) and out to Celbridge the next morning to pick up my wages. All of this while the fuel light was on.

I never saw the need to drive anything bigger. It's not like you're able to drive the speeds available to you in bigger cars, which guzzle petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Good for you of you drive a little charade. There are lots of people that have a genuine use for large SUV's. First of all work, as people stated, farmers builders etc. Secondly, people might need to tow a large boat or trailer, try doing that with a 1.6 corolla. :rolleyes: Also, most of the SUV's ye refer to have 2.5 or 3.0L Turbo diesel engines, hardly massive in the grand scale of other SUV's and pickups around the world in other countries. These engines are also far more efficient and cleaner per litre of size then a 1.4 or 1.6 emgine from 5 years ago. Many people buy them because they need to space, to cart kids around etc. If someone buys a 2.0L SUV they are "Killing the planet" buy if someone buys a 2.0L car its fine with ye?:confused: mothers might find putting 3 kids in the back of a Hundai Santa Fe a lot easier then a corolla. Fair enough I say.

New SUV's are fairly fuel efficient and while I would not buy one myself(I would straight for a proper offroader like a Landrover Defender, country boy that I am) its peoples right to spend their hard earned money as they choose. With car tax and VRT as high as it is people already pay enough to drive in a car, and if they choose an SUV good for them, I'm sure they have worked for it. I feel most of the high horse greenie bull**** is typical Irish begrudgery in desguise using buzz words like "Carbon footprint" to justify their arguments. Go away and get a life rather then worrying about how someone spent their cash. And if the person was silly enough to buy a poor handling SUV when a better handling car would have done, thats their issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Sleepy wrote:
    someone driving a twincam is almost guaranteed to be a boy racer.
    someone driving an SUV doesn't give a **** if half the country thinks they're a wanker.

And by these two statements alone I can see you are an open minded person, not too quick to come to judgements about others. :rolleyes: Just because you think they are ****, does not mean half the country does. Also, I know a couple of lads woth twin cams that are not "Boy Racers", though I'm sure you'll retort with another gereralization in a minute from your bag of tricks and massive amount of life experiences with guys that modify their cars. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

dodgyme wrote:
    when I see the owners of these F88kers in these killing machines I cant help but look them in the eye (in dublin no go traffic you could nearly have a conversation) scan the monster (the vehicle I mean) they are driving in a way obvious to them and shake my head at them in the most possible disapproving way I can.

Ooooooh, that really got all of us SUV drivers shaking in our shoes...

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I don't see why people would think it's easier to transport kids in an SUV than in a car? :confused: You'd often see women lifting little kids up and down out of those yokes outside schools or shops. The child can climb into the carseat on their own in a car. I know my grandmother won't go in my uncle's SUV anymore because she finds it so difficult to get up and down from the thing. He can't understand why (even though it's been explained to him) and acts mildly insulted every time that she'd prefer to go places with other people.

Also, these people who buy them because they feel "safer" driving themselves and their kids in them: do they not know how much worse off a child (or indeed an adult) will be if they get hit by an SUV? The bumper on a car is a lot lower down so it knocks the person over. An SUV will hit a child on the head or an adult in the middle of their body, thus causing far more severe injuries. There's also the fact that the driver has a larger blind-spot in front of them (and at the sides). I'd rather nobody drove SUV's, especially around schools or in urban areas, because I don't want one of those silly yummy-mummies hitting my child (or their own even), due to their own vanity or mis-guided sense of being safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

astraboy wrote:
    Good for you of you drive a little charade. There are lots of people that have a genuine use for large SUV's.

Yeah, but there's far more who don't. That's the point. Even Clarkson hates SUV's.

He loves Jaguar XK's, Astons, Ford Gt's which are even more pointless, but that is why he loves them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

astraboy wrote:
    There are lots of people that have a genuine use for large SUV's. First of all work, as people stated, farmers builders etc. Secondly, people might need to tow a large boat or trailer, try doing that with a 1.6 corolla.

My family has never owned an SUV, and we live in the country-side, we have a 20' boat to pull around, we had ponies to pull around we have farm (a small farm) with things to pull around, we use cars for all this, why cant SVU drivers?
    astraboy wrote:
    Go away and get a life rather then worrying about how someone spent their cash. And if the person was silly enough to buy a poor handling SUV when a better handling car would have done, thats their issue.
    As soon as im in their blind spot i begin to worry, so what... i worry as soon as i can see an SUV, yeah that sounds about right.

EDIT: Clarkson is a bit of a tool IMO, only a bit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

EDIT: Clarkson is a bit of a tool IMO, only a bit though.

Yeah. He's also a petrolhead who just doesn't see the point of SUV's for school runs and city centres. Then again who does?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement