Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hard shoulder shopping

Options
  • 06-09-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

What's the legal situation regarding hijacking the hard shoulder to sell strawberries, spuds etc out of the back of a trailer? Apart from the danger to the salespeople involved (usually young teenagers) there is all the last minute pulling in, double parking, people throwing open doors with a mobile stuck to their neck which is bad enough in a town street never mind the edge of a 100kph main road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

There's been a lot of debate about that recently - because of how it's now illegal to put a "For Sale" sign on a car window! Basically people felt that if you wanted strawberries you'd be less of hazard - because you would indicate and pull in. Whereas people who see a for sale sign on a car have to read it on the moving vehicle.. then find their phone.. and copy down the number! I don't know where but I read recently that one of the best places to go car shopping in Ireland is the Church car-park :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OP are you asking about the legality of them physically being there?
    - as far as I know Co.Council permit is required

Or are you asking about the safety of it? I think the locations are specified on the permit and must be on a suitably straight piece of road.
    Cork_girl wrote:
    because of how it's now illegal to put a "For Sale" sign on a car window!
    WTF? - surely this can't be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

They're talking about it in Galway, it's in the papers again this week, a load of b0llox too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

wet-paint wrote:
    They're talking about it in Galway, it's in the papers again this week, a load of b0llox too.

Guy from Wexford CC was on Today FM this week talking about the fact that they have banned cars for sale on side of road, but when questioned about the strawberry sellers he said that was an 'exception' and they're ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What will all the poor glanzas do, they will be lost with out their for sale signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

it is legal to sell berries and potatoe at the road side, no permit required.

to the best of my extensive legal knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Glanzas could be classified as berries - raspberries! :p

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement