Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

foreign national-legal inquiry

• 06-09-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭

a friend of mine, who is an iranian national, is looking to buy an apartment in ireland with a view to obtaining a residence permit and ultimately a passport,

does anybody here have any experience in the law from this aspect?

he is a 24 year olsd iranian national who has temporary residency ( he must renew it every year) in hungary, he is looking to get a permanent residence permit for ireland, the reason is with the iranian pasport it is impossible to go to the states, and to travel to any country apart from cuba it is a long visa application process with an often unfavorable outcome.

my question is this:

if he went ahead and purchased an apartment in dublin, could he obtain a residence permit even if he doesnt live in the country, he would be spending maybe a month in ireland per year for work (he is a medical student). he would be living in the apartment for this month and then looking to rent it out for the rest of the year,
    by doing this would he be eligable for a permanent residence permit and ultimately a passport?

any help from people experienced in this type of law would be greatly appreciated,

steppen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He really needs to talk to a solicitor who deals in immigration issues.

I'm sure he could buy the property, but he would need a visa to enter Ireland (I presume).
    if he went ahead and purchased an apartment in dublin, could he obtain a residence permit even if he doesnt live in the country,
    I think the terminology you use here is wrong. But if he wants the number of years to citizenship to start counting down, he has to be living here legally, not Hungary or Iran, not swanning in and out of Ireland on rare occassions.
    he would be spending maybe a month in ireland per year for work (he is a medical student).
    He would need a work permit or similar for this.

To my knowledge, buying the property does nothing for him. He could apply to study here or work here when he graduates. I suspect that those are the most meaningful routes. Being a student doesn't count as much as working.

Note that even after the statutory period, there is a long delay in dealing with citizenship applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Put him in contact with the Irish Immigrant council. They will offer free legal advice and have been very helpful for me and my partner in the past.

http://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/

I'm just a lay person, but I can't see him getting residency based purely on owning an apartment.... now if he were married, or had a long term relationship with an Irish citizen, that would be a different thing. Are you his partner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Put him in contact with the Irish Immigrant council. They will offer free legal advice and have been very helpful for me and my partner in the past.

http://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/

I'm just a lay person, but I can't see him getting residency based purely on owning an apartment.... now if he were married, or had a long term relationship with an Irish citizen, that would be a different thing. Are you his partner?

The state would hardly offer a permit to someone because he/she has a friend? In some countries non-residents are prohibited from buying property!

steppen wrote:
    a friend of mine, who is an iranian national, is looking to buy an apartment in ireland with a view to obtaining a residence permit and ultimately a passport,

does anybody here have any experience in the law from this aspect?

he is a 24 year olsd iranian national who has temporary residency ( he must renew it every year) in hungary, he is looking to get a permanent residence permit for ireland, the reason is with the iranian pasport it is impossible to go to the states, and to travel to any country apart from cuba it is a long visa application process with an often unfavorable outcome.

my question is this:

if he went ahead and purchased an apartment in dublin, could he obtain a residence permit even if he doesnt live in the country, he would be spending maybe a month in ireland per year for work (he is a medical student). he would be living in the apartment for this month and then looking to rent it out for the rest of the year,
    by doing this would he be eligable for a permanent residence permit and ultimately a passport?

any help from people experienced in this type of law would be greatly appreciated,

steppen

This is taking the state for a ride, this person's stated motive is to get to the USA, and he's looking to wrangle an Irish Passport!! He should be asked to go study elsewhere and if the Hungarian authorities are complicit with this scam, well that demands some serious questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Why on earth has this topic not been locked already :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Your friend must be legally living here for at least 5 years full time and be able to proove this. Applying for citizenship this way is a long drawn out process and I'm glad to say as this case demonstrates one that cannot be gotten round by trying to throw money at the "problem".
    I'd suggest he goes to Cuba.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

This is taking the state for a ride, this person's stated motive is to get to the USA, and he's looking to wrangle an Irish Passport!! He should be asked to go study elsewhere and if the Hungarian authorities are complicit with this scam, well that demands some serious questions.

you misunderstand, he legally lives and studies in hungary, dont be so quick to jump to the wrong conclusions,

his ultimate aim is to set up a practice in ireland, but for post-graduate training in his chosen speciality, america is the front-runner, with some sort of residence permit from an european country, he cannot do his post grad training in his preferred university.

I understand you perfectly well and my position remains the same.

Irish permits and certainly passports are not documents of convenience.

Your friend should apply from Hungary and refrain from wrangling with Irish Authorities.

If he is unhappy with the outcome that has nothing to do with Ireland.

Advertisement