Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Soil

Options
  • 06-09-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭

Looking for lots of top soil, i,ve been quoted €200 a lorry load for good quality stuff by a realiable source. This would be quite a large tipper truck, would this be a reasonable price ? Does anyone know what tonnage this would equate to, its a double axletype tipper truck, 20 ton ?

Secman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

200euro that price is about right,

regarding weight you could be talking up to 22ton (most likely 22ton)
    it all depends on the size of the truck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I got a 'truck load' and that was 9 tonne. It was a smaller truck with 2ft sides instead of the usual dumper style truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

Think the weather is to break at the weekend so this is probably the last opportunity to get the grass seed down in dryish conditions. Any tips would be welcome, it a .7 acre site less house and garage of course.

Thanks

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Why don't you tackle it in sections...
    Front, then sides and then rear etc?

You may need to add sand to the soil to improve drainage and also look at lightening it. One of the mistakes I made was to just lay the new soil down as a 1.5 inch layer and not add sand or the like. As a result, it appears to be compacted and the tree roots running through it aren't helping. I'll airate it by forking it sometime and then rake more sand ontop of it.

Advertisement