Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slovakia

Options
  • 06-09-2007 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Heading there for a short trip at christmas. Anyone got any info on resorts there?. Any links etc. realise that it is at the lower end etc etc just looking for info thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I went snowboarding in the Lower Tatras, Slovakia in March and I had a great time. We stayed at Hotel Junior which is in a place called Jasná. The hotel is situated right at the foot of a piste and there are lifts a few meters from the door (that lead to other lifts that bring you further up the mountain). It was fairly cheap (around €25 per night including food) but I couldn't fault the place at all. A ski pass for 5 days set me back around €75 and I rented a Burton snowboard for around €40 (there are equipment rentals everywhere at the foot of the mountain).

Here is a map of the mountain. It is fairly challenging in parts but not too over crowded (I'm not sure what it would be like around Christmas though).

That’s all I can think of right now, if you have any other questions then let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

the perfect reply!, thank you.

The only other questions i have is regarding transfer..

we (5 so far) are going to rent a car. Any ideas for rental places, there seems to be a huge price difference between the local hire places and the 'main' ones. Also any idea on roughly how long a drive it actually is, seems to be about 4-5 hours?

Ed

No problem, just glad to help :)

Where are you flying to btw? I reckon your best bet is to rent a car from the likes of Hertz at the airport but unfortunately I haven’t a clue about car hire prices or drive times because I got the night train from Prague (it took around 7 hours I think). As far as I know the closest major city to the Lower Tatras is Kosice if that is any help to you?

flying into bratslavia, so may put our faith in TomTom. Think the car is slightly more expensive, but at least can take it from the airport and do not have to mess about with taxi's and trains. Looking at the piste map, is there is only a drag outside the junior hotel?..

Yeah a car would definitely save you alot of hassle. We had to get an over-crowded bus from the train station upto the mountain and then an over-priced taxi on our way back. Pain in the hole :rolleyes:

To answer your question, yeah there is only a drag out side the hotel that brings you up to a chairlift (it's actually much closer to the hotel then it looks on that map). Or alternatively you can ride/ski on the path through a small forest and end up at the Otupné cabinlift. This was my favourite piste for riding down because it wasn't too steep, very fast and there was a cool snowboard park near the bottom :)

Btw there are plenty of restaurants & bars around every chair/cabin lift and it is really cheap. I got a huge hotdog and a pint of beer for around €3. Can't really go wrong there ;)

• Advertisement

this place is sounding better and better, currently the group is 2 early intermediate boarders, 2 beginner boarders and one skier, was looking at some of the places in the high Tatras but they seem to be much more suited for advanced skiers / boarders. I am right in saying that Jasna Chopok is the largest resort in Slovakia?.

As far as I know Jansá is one of the biggest & most popular ski resorts in Slovakia, but in saying that I haven't been to any other resorts in that country so I've nothing to compare it too.

I think that the Lower Tatras would be more suitable to beginner/intermediate snowboarders/skiers then the Higher Tatras. Also the conditions would be much better in the Lower Tatras, especially around Christmas when the conditions might get harsher the higher up you go. When we were there in March the Luková - Chopok freeride zone was closed for a day or two because of the blizzard like conditions on the mountain peak.

well all booked now, staying in the apartmens near hotel Junior.. thanks for all the help. will let you know how we get on.

Advertisement