Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best food atmosphere in Dundalk?

Options
  • 06-09-2007 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

i love la cantina, i can't pass it when it comes to athmosphere and that in turn makes the food seem better. But what is it with the owner, why is he so sour? He has no manners at all, and makes you feel like you should thank him for allowing you to dine in his restaurant. also whats the story with the cheapo cutlery, boyds stores best. would it kill him to splash out for a stainless steel set that didn't have 3 years worth of food hidden beneath the handle! Also , the brake????? emperors new clothes as far as i'm concerned, the menu is so limited and not cheap.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't eat in la cantina for a number of reasons, the decor and the service being 2 of them.

It's been a couple of years since I ate in The Break but I'd agree there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How can you say you love the atmosphere in La Cantina when the owner is rude and the cutley cheap? Surely these are the very types of thing that make up the overall atmosphere in any restaurant. If you find dirt on cutlery then I hope you complained and sent it back. Do as I do - just don't go there anymore.

I agree about the break, the menu is certainly tired and limited. The surroundings are uncomfortable and there is always a sense of being rushed. By no means cheap for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

For atmosphere, you can't beat the cafe above that funny indoor market on the main street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

The Break don't have any Vegetarian options(at all) on their menu!!! :confused: FFS.... it's not the 1950's......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Is there such a thing as good food in Dundalk? If you want good and cheap food head to Newry.
    Try La Dolce Vita in Patrick St (Pass Newry tech heading for Monaghan St and its on the left) They have a wood burning oven. A 15" pizza will cost just under £9, flippin fantastic.
    Have to add that La Dolce Vita is take away only.

• Advertisement

Aach Annex! For goodness sake! There are umteen good places for food in Dundalk and plenty of choice depending on the style you want. In the past 5 to 10 years the choice has increased greatly and the quality is mostly excellent. There have been many threads here already on where to eat so I'll no start listing them again.

Aach Annex! For goodness sake! There are umteen good places for food in Dundalk and plenty of choice depending on the style you want. In the past 5 to 10 years the choice has increased greatly and the quality is mostly excellent. There have been many threads here already on where to eat so I'll no start listing them again.

Well done Cara Stocky Numerous. Exactly what I was going to say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Windsor on Vincent Avenue is pretty decent, not cheap but good value for money. Its good for a relaxing bite plus no booking, tis just turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Windsor on Vincent Avenue is pretty decent, not cheap but good value for money. Its good for a relaxing bite plus no booking, tis just turn up.

Yeah, if you like your veg reheated in the microwave, undercooked spuds and the vegetarian option is greasy fried aubergine supposedly stuffed with goats gheese but the stuffing turns out to be breadcrumbs which just might have had a crumb or two of cheese.

Overpriced pub food.

Good pub atmosphere though!! ;)

Can't agree Sudz. While the Windsor is not my favourite place in Town, it's nothing like you describe. At least not the restaurant at night. I can't comment on the lunch trade as I don't eat lunch there. There are different staff (incl Chef) at night so maybe that's the answer.
    From my experience the food is well cooked and well presented. Some items are bought in, but that is more and more common in restaurants these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 brickie No 1

good food?, rosso is the place dear but very good best in town for the food type, jade garden new one 0r punjab house or fizparicks.4of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Can't fault the windsor at night, always great food. You can check out the menu here, it never changes :)

http://www.windsorbar.com/html/home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21 brickie No 1

indiewindy wrote:
    Can't fault the windsor at night, always great food. You can check out the menu here, it never changes :)

do you not think the menu is boreing?an the waiting time is crap we were there afew times sat nite of course the foods not worth the 2an half hour wait.

do you not think the menu is boreing?an the waiting time is crap we were there afew times sat nite of course the foods not worth the 2an half hour wait.
    I agree about the waiting times and I avoid going if it's anything after 7pm. I like somewhere I can book and know the table is ours for the night. The Windsor can rush you away from the table once the coffee cups start to empty.

I can't agree on the boring menu comment. There is a wide selection from steaks to rabbit, several chicken and many fish dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

I've been to Rosso a few times - the first time it was "ok", the second time absolutely terrible. I think I got a piece of paper as a menu, and I ordered a salad (was being cheap), but it was covered in fish oil -- not written on the description!

Had to turn it back, twice, and ended up with lettuce and crutons (literally) for €12 - never again. Toilets are nice though.

Used to like Vertigo for coffee - it had a great ambiance. It's gone down hill now -- little things that they used to have, don't seem to be there. For example, when you order, now they leave a botched up piece of paper with the order written on it. Used to be that they remembered it when you went up.. I think that's an important thing when you're paying. You want to feel valued.

But it's still a nice little spot. I will say, though, they could be a good bit more creative with the food, eg: scrambled eggs for breakfast. Ever tried the Yellow Door in Portadown? Now, that's what I'm talking about. That extra 'wow' factor is missing.

Matt

There's a nice new Italian in the town centre. Serving Antipasta's, coffee's, breads & cakes etc. It's worth a look for anyone wandering around the town. It's on Crowe St across from the Taxi Rank. I'll be frequenting it anyway :)

Myself and 'er indoors were in Radius, under the Imperial on Saturday night. Turned up without a booking and were accommodated. Very decent nosebag, 2 starters, fillet steak and chicken, couple of side orders and 2 irish coffees with a decent bottle of wine was 80 notes. Very pleasant indeed and it has changed quite a bit food wise from when it was Fratellis.

Nice to hear a decent report Duffman. Is it still an Italian type restaurant? €80 sounds very reasonable for that too.

Thought it was very good value for money. Its not really italian although there are the usual suspects on the menu. A good range of starters and main courses, catered for different palates, can't speak for the veggie option that people ask though! Wasn't overly impressed with the dessert menu, couldn't find anything to tickle my fancy:p All in all it struck me as pretty decent though. Would have forgotten all about it too but for their sandwich board on the street. They should do a bit more publicity maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sebflyte

Rosso and Fitzpatricks are both excellent. The Stonehouse in the rock is another place to try, excellent food, great service.

Jackies and Number 32 are both pretty very good in the evenings, but pricey. For lunch though I like McGeoughs :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 -avey-

sebflyte wrote:
    For lunch though I like McGeoughs :D

best lunch in d'dalk imo :cool:

-avey- wrote:
    best lunch in d'dalk imo :cool:

Yeah. Love their steak sambos. Ciabatta with mustard MMMmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

try the golden dragon on the main street.... it's wicked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bingles

indiewindy wrote: »

Absolulty agree, never had a bad meal there:D

Bingles wrote: »
    Absolulty agree, never had a bad meal there:D

Yes, the food is consistantly good but I refuse to wait over an hour for a table. Why can't they take bookings?

They can, they don't need to though. Why have tables empty while waiting for late-comers etc.

BTW, they will take a booking for parties of 10 or more.

BTW, they will take a booking for parties of 10 or more.

Yeah, but it's usually just me and the missus or us and one other couple. AT least the Stone House, Crown Plaza, Lisdoo etc will take an advance booking - and they are often booked solid by the weekend.

Can be a pain alright.

I was in the Crowne Plaza recently, not overly impressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

If you get to the windsor around 7pm you wont have to wait too long maybe 10 to fifteen minutes,

• Advertisement

Can be a pain alright.

I was in the Crowne Plaza recently, not overly impressed at all.

Ditto for me, I went a few Sundays ago for lunch and it was a kinda buffet set up. Help yourself for starters and main courses and desserts. The location on the top floor was nice just for a nosy at the town from that view but I wouldn't be in a hurry back. Limited selection although it was only 25 yoyos a head for the meal.

Advertisement