Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork and its future Landscape !!!!

Options
  • 06-09-2007 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Just wondering what about the general consensus on what the City Centre will be like in five years? :confused:

Once the Docklands, Acadmey St. and the Capitol developments are finished! :D

How will it affect the image/perception of the city?

Will the lifestyle of the people change?

I think it'll look a lot more like a city as it currently looks like it got left behind by the economic boom! But i wouldn't like it to lose the local feel of the city or the craic thats to be had!

Worst fear - an equivalent to D4 like behavior! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

The Capitol is in planning. THey first draft was shot down (mainly due to the plan to demolish the central shoe store building in its entirety), but it has gone to further information so another draft seems likely.

As for the city as a whole, I look forward to when Grand Parade is finished. Library, Citi care park site, capitol, etc.

Id love to see Merchants Quay demolished and for them to try again. Its very ugly as it stands. A lot of the quays need majot attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Id love to see Merchants Quay demolished and for them to try again. Its very ugly as it stands. A lot of the quays need majot attention.

I didn't realise how ugly Merchnats Quay was until a few years ago when I took a proper look at it from a distance, it's absolutely horrible and soulless.

If they develop the docklands correctly it has the potential to completely transform the entire city visually and economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

anyone else notice all the shops closing,mq is like a graveyard, im told dunnes stores (the clothing store)will leave there once the building on patricks street is finished.

as for the landscape of cork,i think a law should be implemented that builders and developers keep the same architecture of the city, like they do in certain villages,like bath in england is a great example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

as for the landscape of cork,i think a law should be implemented that builders and developers keep the same architecture of the city, like they do in certain villages,like bath in england is a great example.

I disagree. Cork already has a mix of architectural styles and this can work very well when done sensitively imo.

Back to the main topic - I think these developments will be good for Cork. The city's already a lot more elegant and enjoyable than it used to be. It's a good time to be a Corkonian!

Btw, this forum is a good source for discussion about planning and development in Cork and other places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I like how Grand Parade is shaping. Lot of open spaces for pedestrians, visually I think it'll be quite scenic when it's done with the park, the fountain, the river etc, the development of Capitol will give a better buzz about the area too.

Looking forward to the new developments on Patrick St (old Dunnes) and the street where the market is by Bodega and Coal Quay.

Also, (having lived there before) I love the new look to Lapps Quay's down by the bus station with the new hotel. It's nice down there now. The new hotel and apartments up on Washington street look great. Something needs to be done with the old petrol station though and the derelict houses just past them.

So I'm liking the new changes. I think North Main should have something done too and there's a lot of potential I think for the area around The Raven, Classic, Redz etc. It's a nice little hub for restaurants and pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

All the buildings starting form Merchants Quay to the east,facing the river are ugly,Expcet the Bus station.I was walking down by the jury's in and it looked awful and broing,Espacially the Wharf place.

We need a larger and nicer designed buidlings like continnetal Europe and even Londen.

Also they should look into making builings in the city being able to structurly build and hold new floors ontop of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I find the demolition/construction work to be an eyesore. I'm just back from Krakow, and they've got such a clever idea. When they're redeveloping a building, they print a banner the same size as the front of the building, and hang it there with an impression of how it was/or how it will be, and suddenly, all the ugliness is removed.

Advertisement