Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp or long term Flat needed Dub 12 area

Options
  • 06-09-2007 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Howdy,

I have my time table for Ireland now. I'm in need of a flat starting 1st week of October. I am about to buy my one way ticket to Ireland. :) So let me know if you hear or see of anything. Meanwhile I'll be poking round the internet and seeing what comes up.

Obliged,

Wez

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Perhaps you alll could help me. What areas/townships are in the Dub 12 area? I will be working off of Knockmitten lane. I know Kimmage and Walkinstown are nearby. What else is there that is easy to travel from by bus or car? Is there a night link in the area?

Obliged,

Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Drimnagh and crumlin are also dublin 12. I don't know that road though, so couldn't say for sure how handy it is for the luas? If it is close to the luas, you could stay anywhere along the line I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

Pretty close (walking distance) to Park West, can't say I'd recommend living there though, it's a hole. You will be working close to the Luas so consider anything close to the red line in town (Smithfield etc).

useruser wrote:
    Pretty close (walking distance) to Park West, can't say I'd recommend living there though, it's a hole. You will be working close to the Luas so consider anything close to the red line in town (Smithfield etc).

I've looked at cheap cars as a disposable(mostly) first form of transit when I arrive. If you had the choice for something ya just wanted to maybe last a year or so, would you got Nissan Micra, Punto, or what? Seems you can get low mileage ones for about EU500-1,000. Then, I could live in maybe 24, 10, 6w etc.
    Whatcha think? Anything to be on the look out for other than tax? I mean, if I buy from a dealer, must I pay tax directly or is that usually included in the asking price?

BTW, I will be in town Oct 2nd - start work on the 6th.

Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Don't think that getting a cheap car for E500 means you can drive for E500 - as a foreigner you will probably have to pay through the nose for insurance, regardless of what driving experience you have in your home country.

• Advertisement

jlang wrote:
    Don't think that getting a cheap car for E500 means you can drive for E500 - as a foreigner you will probably have to pay through the nose for insurance, regardless of what driving experience you have in your home country.

Good point. Bear in mind I'm not a kid at 38, either. But what else can I do to lower my rates other than get a small car with a small engine? Are there certain vehicles I should flat out avoid? Will showing a clean record printout fromt he local motor office here make any difference?

Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm - use this to plan how to get about

Consider these areas - some individual neighbourhoods will be better than others. Some will be downright repulsive.

Clondalkin - Woodford, Monastery Gate, Monksfield

Inchicore, Kilmainham, Rialto, Drimnagh, Crumlin, Walkinstown

Tallaght - Kingswood Estate, Kilnamanagh

Expect to spend more than €500 in parts on a €500 car.

Thanks, Victor. I', having a hell of a time finding a place. Ugh!

Can ya buy just a months insurance? If I keep the car for longer, I can re up.

I guess better E500 for a car and E500for parts than E1,000 for a car and E1,000 for parts... ;)

Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Apartments will be very expensive if you're on a low-wage. You could consider sharing a house with other people. See daft.ie, it has a load of people looking for people to take a room in houses.

wyk wrote:
    Can ya buy just a months insurance? If I keep the car for longer, I can re up.
    Car insurance? I imagine the shortest you can get insurance for is 3 months but check it out with these guys.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=229

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    Car insurance? I imagine the shortest you can get insurance for is 3 months but check it out with these guys.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=229

Thanks, Victor!

I have some time before I buy the car, though. Most importantly, I need to find a place. I found one off of Ballyfermot area. That halfway decent? I actually don't mind if something is a bit, uh, vintage. I am more worried about finding parking and it being close to Nangor and Nass Rd.

BTW, y'all been very helpful! I appreciate the kindness,

Obliged,

Wez

I've forgotten to mention I could use a flat in the Nangor Rd, M50, N7 triangle area, and whichever areas thereabouts have decent transit.

I'm currently poking around Daft, tho. BTW, when it states double or single room, what exactly do they mean?
    Obliged,

Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

wyk wrote:

I'm currently poking around Daft, tho. BTW, when it states double or single room, what exactly do they mean?
    Obliged,

Wez

A double room or single room in a shared house more than likely.

Forget the car for the time being IMO and try to live as close to work as possible. You don't want to move over for the first time and spend your life in traffic like the rest of us.

Walkinstown, Drimnagh and the top end of Crumlin would be your best bet. You could even cycle from these areas.

stovelid wrote:
    A double room or single room in a shared house more than likely.

Forget the car for the time being IMO and try to live as close to work as possible. You don't want to move over for the first time and spend your life in traffic like the rest of us.

Walkinstown, Drimnagh and the top end of Crumlin would be your best bet. You could even cycle from these areas.

Thanks for the info! Uh, I assume a double is larger than a single? Is there a Vente room?

Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

wyk wrote:
    Thanks for the info! Uh, I assume a double is larger than a single? Is there a Vente room?

Wez

Sorry dude, a double means a room with a large bed that sleeps two. A single means a room with a small bed that sleeps one.

A double room should be bigger than a single and is more expensive.

Cool. So what are the costs of using the coaches?

Wez

wyk wrote:
    I found one off of Ballyfermot area.
    You will find the older areas (built 1930-1960) are reasonably settled the newer 1970-1990 areas like Cherry Orchard can be quite rough. There are lots of nice new apartments in Parkwest.

Vente - we have no idea what that means.
    Single - one bed for one person, typically a small room.
    Double - one bed for two people, typically a larger room.
    Twin - two beds for one person each, typically a larger room.
    Definition of larger varies.
    Cool. So what are the costs of using the coaches?
    Do you mean buses? About €1.60 (coins only) single to the city centre. Luas is slightly more expensive.

OK, I'm back. Vente is a play on words - it means 20 in Italian - and it's one of the size options you have in Starbucks(I love Coffee, but not a big fan of the Sterile Starbucks atmosphere).

Anyways, I will land Oct 2nd. I may or may not have a place. I won't know until that night. Just in case, where are the internet 'bars' in city center? I may need access to daft and my email. Well, actually, I WILL need access.

I do not start until Saturday. Who is up for the pub Thursday and Friday night..day..evening...what have ya? I may need someplace decent and affordable to eat as well. Have suggestions? I will have time if I find a place.

Y'all been great, and I appreciate all the help you've given this Texan. I look forward to becoming more Irish every day.

Cheers! Wish me luck!

Wesley
    Victor wrote:
    You will find the older areas (built 1930-1960) are reasonably settled the newer 1970-1990 areas like Cherry Orchard can be quite rough. There are lots of nice new apartments in Parkwest.

Vente - we have no idea what that means.
    Single - one bed for one person, typically a small room.
    Double - one bed for two people, typically a larger room.
    Twin - two beds for one person each, typically a larger room.
    Definition of larger varies.

Do you mean buses? About €1.60 (coins only) single to the city centre. Luas is slightly more expensive.

No news on the public internet access in Dublin?

Wez

wyk wrote:
    No news on the public internet access in Dublin?
    Internet cafés. Plenty of palces in the city centre and inner suburbs, a little hit and miss further out.

Price vary from €1 to €5 per hour so shop around. Some place do deals like €10/day or €20/week. Machine and connection speed will vary. Mornings and late evening are quiet, midday to 8pm can be busy.

• Advertisement

Thank ya. I recall there being a couple of places in Temple Bar, but I've forgotten where they are exactly. I suppose wandering about I will likely just run into one.

Wez
    Victor wrote:
    Internet cafés. Plenty of palces in the city centre and inner suburbs, a little hit and miss further out.

Price vary from €1 to €5 per hour so shop around. Some place do deals like €10/day or €20/week. Machine and connection speed will vary. Mornings and late evening are quiet, midday to 8pm can be busy.

So has anyone got some time this week to meet up with a Texan for drinks and maybe give me some pointers on where and what to do in Dublin? Feel free to message me. I'll be off until I arrive in Dublin this Tuesday at noonish.

Wes
    wyk wrote:
    Thank ya. I recall there being a couple of places in Temple Bar, but I've forgotten where they are exactly. I suppose wandering about I will likely just run into one.

Wez

Advertisement