Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to change modem

Options
  • 06-09-2007 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

hope this is in the right place please moved if not or tell me where to go

i need to change two eircom modems as they wont allow me to veiw cctv from different locations can anyone tell me what would be best to change them to the cheaper the better if someone is using a modem for the same purpose and has had no problems in setting it up

any advice is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

has any one any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

What is limiting the routers from working? Do the cameras need to be in a DMZ or do you have to enable port forwarding?

sorry but whats a dmz i think i have to forward the port but any time i try it never works the installer of the cameras tried to set it up and said he had the problem before with the eircom routers and changed them and they worked he didnt say what one he changed it to before

A DMZ is a demilitarized zone -- you enter an IP address in your router's config and it exposes this device [camera, server, etc.] to the Internet.

Eircom's Netopia router can do port fowarding. PortForward has good instructions for setting this up. I'd blame the camera if it doesn't work more than the router. If you want to change it, you'll be looking for a [wireless] ADSL router [i.e. not a cable router -- there's every sort of name on routers nowdays].

how would i enter the ip into the router would that be the ip i have assigned to the harddriver of the cameras also i looked at portforward and it listed a number of ports for different software how would i find out what ones i need to forward if its not listed

• Advertisement

ethernet wrote:
    A DMZ is a demilitarized zone -- you enter an IP address in your router's config and it exposes this device [camera, server, etc.] to the Internet.

by entering the ip did you mean in the services part of the expert mode of the router i log into 192.168.1.254 then into expert mode then in to configure then into nat and define custom services if so i tried that and did not work

how would i enter the ip into the router would that be the ip i have assigned to the harddriver of the cameras also i looked at portforward and it listed a number of ports for different software how would i find out what ones i need to forward if its not listed
    This is set on the cameras themselves. If they're any way decent, they will allow you to change the port.

I wanted to do the same thing with that particular router. Ended up using a Netgear instead. I'm sure it can be done -- can't tell you what to go into to do this, however :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lykke

hope this is in the right place please moved if not or tell me where to go

i need to change two eircom modems as they wont allow me to veiw cctv from different locations can anyone tell me what would be best to change them to the cheaper the better if someone is using a modem for the same purpose and has had no problems in setting it up

any advice is welcome

Can you give a bit more info

Are the cameras wired back to a a digital recorder or are they ip cameras coming back to a patch panel or switch ?

If its wired back to a digital recorder your installer should be able to tell you the ports that need to be forwarded

Can you view the camera images on a computer locally onsite ?

Do you know the local ip address used?

Does your internet connection have a fixed IP address ?

Go to 192.168.1.254 check under WAN Settings make a note of the IP address usually 8x.xxx.xxx.xxx switch off your eircom modem go back into Wan settings and check if the ip address is the same .

rgds

Lykke

Lykke wrote:
    Can you give a bit more info

Are the cameras wired back to a a digital recorder or are they ip cameras coming back to a patch panel or switch ?

If its wired back to a digital recorder your installer should be able to tell you the ports that need to be forwarded

Can you view the camera images on a computer locally onsite ?

Do you know the local ip address used?

Does your internet connection have a fixed IP address ?

Go to 192.168.1.254 check under WAN Settings make a note of the IP address usually 8x.xxx.xxx.xxx switch off your eircom modem go back into Wan settings and check if the ip address is the same .

rgds

Lykke

they are wired into a dvr on the dvr the ip address was 192.168.1.10 which i changed the 10 to a different number as i was told to as 10 is the default if i enter the ip on a pc on the network it works fine but once i go out of the office to a different pc i get nothing i have a static ip address for the internet connection on the dvr its sayin port 80 on he menu page that shows ip address should i change the port number and try forward it is there any more info you need thanks for your help so far

they are wired into a dvr on the dvr the ip address was 192.168.1.10 which i changed the 10 to a different number as i was told to as 10 is the default if i enter the ip on a pc on the network it works fine but once i go out of the office to a different pc i get nothing i have a static ip address for the internet connection on the dvr its sayin port 80 on he menu page that shows ip address should i change the port number and try forward it is there any more info you need thanks for your help so far

if you have access to the dvr network menu check the following settings
    have been entered

ip address 192.168.1.10 or the number you changed it to
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.254

the dvr you are using does it have its own remote viewing software or are you using internet explorer

If it uses its own remote software change from port 80

what make and model dvr are you using
    typically you have to forward at least 3 ports

1 for viewing 1 for searching 1 for remote admin

• Advertisement

its a ganz dvr

you can use either the software or an internet broswer

how would i find out what ports to forward

the only model number or description i could get is 16/8/7ch mpeg-4 dvr

i have the 8ch and the make is ganz

its a ganz dvr

you can use either the software or an internet broswer

how would i find out what ports to forward

Do the following

In the DVR Menu change the
    IP Address to 192.168.1.10
    Port to 8000
    Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
    Gateway to 192.168.1.254

Save and restart the DVR

Go into the DVR client software and change the unit IP address to 192.168.1.10 and port to 8000

restart the DVR client software and check if you can see images locally

go to the nat menu in your router

enter expert mode
    click configure
    click nat

click define custom service
    put a dot into the Port Forwarding range of ports click next
    in service name enter DVR TCP PORT 8000
    global port range enter 8000 -8000
    base host port 8000
    protocol tcp
    click next

click again on define custom service
    put a dot into the Port Forwarding range of ports click next
    in service name enter DVR UDP PORT 8000
    global port range enter 8000 -8000
    base host port 8000
    protocol UDP
    click next

From the drop down menu scroll to the bottom and you should see
    service names like *** DVR TCP PORT 8000 and DVR UDP PORT 8000
    Select the first one click enable you should then see a drop down menu
    with ip addresses select 192.168.1.10 your dvr ip
    enable the second and select 192.168.1.10

on your nat configuration screen you now should have

DVR TCP PORT 8000 192.168.1.10
    DVR UDP PORT 8000 192.168.1.10

exit from the router menu

go to www.canyouseeme.org

at the top of the screen it will give you your ip address
    this should be your static wan ip address provided by eircom
    Typically 8x.xxx.xxx.xxx

enter 8000 in the port box click check if you still get a error message
    go back into your router and switch off your firewall for the moment

if it shows success go into the dvr client

select setup
    select unit

enter unit name
    enter 8x.xxx.xxx.xxx into ip address port 8000
    user id
    password
    then try to connect to site

You may have to try to connect to the unit from a different site to see it work
    If you are connecting to it ok go back into your router firewall settings and increase the setting
    to the highest before it stops the dvr software working

let me know how you get on

rgds

Lykke :)

lykke

i did everytihng you posted can see the images thru the software but not thru the ie browser i opened the nat as you said and went to canyouseeme.org and kept getting error messages i turned off the firewall and restarted the router and still getting error on the canyouseeme.org

lykke

i did everytihng you posted can see the images thru the software but not thru the ie browser i opened the nat as you said and went to canyouseeme.org and kept getting error messages i turned off the firewall and restarted the router and still getting error on the canyouseeme.org

go into the ie browser and enter http://192.168.1.10:8000 see if this works

on the nat configuration screen did it show the dvr ports as active

the ip address it showed on canyouseeme.org is it the same as the static ip address you got from eircom

is there any another equipment connected between you computer and the router i.e are you going thru a company network

i have gotten into it thru the browser on canyouseeme.org the error message does not come up just a thing about background should it say if its open

edit: sorry the error message came up again

i have gotten into it thru the browser on canyouseeme.org the error message does not come up just a thing about background should it say if its open

edit: sorry the error message came up again

on the canyouseeme.org website enter the port number and press check it will give you
    a error or success message

do not press enter after entering the port number the test will not work correctly

ok local settings on the dvr appear to be ok

can you try to connect to the dvr from a different site

is the dvr connected directly to the router

go to canyouseeme.org make a note of the ip address

restart your router

go back to canyouseeme.org

compare the ip address

if its the same you have a static ip address

if not you need to get one from eircom

the dvr client software is it ver 2.36

if you would like me to try to connect to the dvr

pm the ip address

rgds

Lykke

pm sent

pm sent

Lykke

i have it sorted thanks for all your help i had to turn the static nat on for the unit aswell as the define custom service
    thanks again

Lykke
    pm sent

• Advertisement

just a quick update i need a modem/router that can have two static nats does anyone know of any make or model that can do that

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

What are you trying to achieve?

If you have two DVR's change the ports on one of them so that the second is using different ports to the first one.

ST wrote:
    What are you trying to achieve?

If you have two DVR's change the ports on one of them so that the second is using different ports to the first one.

i have a adpro fastscan and a dvr and they are working on different port numbers but they both need static nats to work

edit: i also have a lantronix unit to change serial to lan for the adpro machine

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Which Eircom Router do you have?

The wireless one or the old Cayman 3300?

Generally port forwarding should do the trick - forwarding the TCP/UDP ports for the DVR to the DVR's IP address, and the Ports for the ADPRO to it's IP address.

Are you using a Software client or logging to a web interface on the units?

Make sure you have both TCP and UDP ports forwarded for each port number in use.

ST wrote:
    Which Eircom Router do you have?

The wireless one or the old Cayman 3300?

Generally port forwarding should do the trick - forwarding the TCP/UDP ports for the DVR to the DVR's IP address, and the Ports for the ADPRO to it's IP address.

Are you using a Software client or logging to a web interface on the units?

Make sure you have both TCP and UDP ports forwarded for each port number in use.

its the cayman 3300 for the adpro i am using the client software and for the dvr i am using the web interface i have the ports forwarded in the custom services for both of them but still wont work unless the static nat is enabled and i can only enable one at a time

Advertisement