Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure external FTP access to NAS?

Options
  • 06-09-2007 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have a LanDisk NAS wired directly to a Linksys WAG354G router. I have set up external ftp access utilising DDNS on the router and all works fine.

I am concerned about how secure this is and am aware that ftp credentials are clear text. How can I best secure this ftp access? I have come across SSH & VPN's but can these be used in my setup?

I hope somebody can advise. Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

degsie wrote:
    Ok, I have a LanDisk NAS wired directly to a Linksys WAG354G router. I have set up external ftp access utilising DDNS on the router and all works fine.

I am concerned about how secure this is and am aware that ftp credentials are clear text. How can I best secure this ftp access? I have come across SSH & VPN's but can these be used in my setup?

I hope somebody can advise. Ta.

Try this link.

It's for a hp media vault, but you will see it answers your question i hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

bubonicus wrote:
    Try this link.

It's for a hp media vault, but you will see it answers your question i hope.

Thanks bubonicus. I don't think this will help as it involves access to the os running on the nas. I only have web access to config pages, unless of course I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Try here

it uses telnet to access the NAS, but this is where i'm not sure if with will work with your NAS.

Try a google search for your specific model and see if anybody has been able to gain access.

After that, I'm all outta ideas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Na, can't telnet to the NAS. The search continues....

Advertisement