Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Belfast

Options
  • 06-09-2007 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello to the masses on the Belfast forum,
    anyway myself and my girlfriend have moved to Belfast after three years or so in Czech Republic.
    She is czech and she's started in UU and I'm looking for a design related job,
    (actually anybody got a graphics job going PM me :) )
    I was just wondering can anybody reccommend the best part of town to live, We're looking for a reasonably priced, entertaining area, free from hassle.
    Your advice would be much appreciated
    Best reguards
    Ciarán

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Laganeer

Ciaran,South Belfast is the place to be but its very expensive for that reason. If you're better half is going to UUJ, then for convenience and cheaper accom. you'd be better going to North Belfast where private rental is cheaper. Upper Antrim Road heading for Glengormley will meet your third criteria of safety(away from the interfaces) and a nice residential area. A good bus service will get you round the city handy enough. Keep your eye on the Tele for vacant accom

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

If you're still living the student lifestyle, around Queens isn't too bad, Holy Land area and parts of the Ormeau Road. Be prepared for a lot of dives though, it ain't all decent. There's also a bus that runs to UUJ from behind Queens too (well, there was when I was there).

Pricewise, I have no idea, the recent property madness may have changed everything.

Enjoy yourselves! Belfast is great craic.

Cheers,
    B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Laganeer

Don't be tempted by the cheaper property prices in the Village area and its close proximity to the University area. Residents in the Village are hostile to students, migrant workers and basically anyone living there who can't trace his ancestry back twelve generations to Ye Olde Village of 1690.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

id reccoment something on ormau, possibly lisburn area. Ur gf will be able to get easy bus transport to jordanstown from those areas, i think they are more reasonable areas to live in than other parts of the city due to the student influence, im sure if ur gf is making friends at jordanstown the majority of them will live there. Also with ur design job i presume you will be working in the city centre? you can be at city hall in about 10-15 minutes walk no problem from the general queens area.

ps. its deadly craic round there:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Stromecek

Thanks for the replys people,
    I'm seriously looking forward to living in Belfast does seem
    like a grand place alright, goin to see a place on the Donegal rd tmrw
    and some swish apartment in the centre as well
    keep the advice coming as I think there seems to a lot of places all over
    so maybe I can pick and choose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

South Belfast FTW.

Worth the extra dough, especially with two paying the rent.

If you stay around the Lisburn road, you're walking distance from the town and the train goes out to Jordanstown (I assume you mean UU Jordanstown and not the art college in town).

Also there is a private coach that goes from Queens to Jordanstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pert

South Belfast - I live there myself.

Avoid Loyalist areas, Lisburn Road is a nice place to live. Expensive mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Yes, I'd echo that, just watch were you walk. Not sure what Donegal Road is like, but be careful around Donegal Pass and the top of Sandy Row at Shaftsbury Square. As I said to one other guy moving from South to North on this forum a while ago, not everyone is going along with the New Age of Enlightenment in the North, you could still get knifed because of who you are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have to agree the "Your not from around here:cool:? " question still comes up but very rarely.

However the suggestions most posters have put are very good.

I have to ask though what gave you the idea of living in Belfast? I thought most people would opt for Dublin or one of the large Southern citys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

OP, I would strongly urge you not to move into Donegall Rd. While the rent might be cheap, the place is a hole imo.

As others have suggested above, head further south. The Stranmillis area is very nice while also being reasonably priced, as is the Lisburn Rd.

Try,

www.daft.ie
    www.propertynews.com
    www.belfastgumtree.com

..........and welcome to Belfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Jigsaw wrote:
    OP, I would strongly urge you not to move into Donegall Rd. While the rent might be cheap, the place is a hole imo.

As others have suggested above, head further south. The Stranmillis area is very nice while also being reasonably priced, as is the Lisburn Rd.

Try,

www.daft.ie
    www.propertynews.com
    www.belfastgumtree.com

..........and welcome to Belfast!

No Donegal rd is not advisable , should not be confused with Donegal the area in character?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Stromecek

well thanks for the advice people,

I've eventually settled in North Belfast, just off the antrim rd, 4 bedroom house
    good deal too so I'm chuffed really and in the course of the househunting which was hell tbh I realised how small Belfast is, so its no problem getting about. Couldn't believe how full of music and culture this city is, also the sense of community mostly north and west has really suprised me, cant wait to get to know the place.

In closing anyone fancy a pint? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Stromecek wrote:
    well thanks for the advice people,

I've eventually settled in North Belfast, just off the antrim rd, 4 bedroom house
    good deal too so I'm chuffed really and in the course of the househunting which was hell tbh I realised how small Belfast is, so its no problem getting about. Couldn't believe how full of music and culture this city is, also the sense of community mostly north and west has really suprised me, cant wait to get to know the place.

In closing anyone fancy a pint? :)

I see no reason why not!!

Advertisement