Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you give general tips on improving wireless modem broadband performance?

Options
  • 06-09-2007 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

What works for you? I have noticed that using a longer cable and hanging my 3 Huawei broadband modem out the window gives better and more consistent speeds. My cable is about 1.5 metres long.

I also noticed that speeds *seem* worse when it's raining (also means you can't hang the modem out the window).

What else affects it? Does it prefer travelling through windows, rather than through walls? Does weather really affect it? If I put a clear plastic bag around the modem and hung it out the window, would it work?

I have no options except 3, so I want to make the conditions as good as I can to keep keep speeds up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 saloon

Any takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mendicant

Its a long shot but try Goat Sacrifice

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mendicant wrote:
    Its a long shot but try Goat Sacrifice

Nice one, banned for being a smart arse
    1 month ban, PM me to remind em to unban you in a month

Have a nice day :D
    Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Any type of wireless communications have their problems. Look at GSM mobile phones, walkie talkies, wireless laptops...all can be hit and miss at times depending on the quality of the equipment, distance from base stations and many other factors.

With 3G USB dongle type modems, there aint alot you can do. It's more or less like using a mobile phone! Yes, weather can affect it, being indoors or even outdoors amongst tall buildings. So, unless you can do a sun-dance or transplant buildings you're gonna be stuck with those conditions.

From what I've been reading on boards, "3" network aint the best for 3G. They are over subscribed at present which means the network will suffer hence poor speeds to users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You have covered nearly all the angles OP , getting it outside the window encased in a plastic bag on the side of the house nearest the mast is the best you can do to improve the signal .....at least until the winter comes brrrrrrrr.

As we have a green minister for communications AND energy sustainability you may write to him seeking a grant for extra insulation for your house becuase of the communications issues you have there . minister@dcmnr.ie should do the trick.

Replace the 1-2m cable that 3 give you with a 5m cable, do not go over that length.

Stick it high up on the wall and to the curtain rail before it exits the window

This utility will give you information as to signal etc while you are fiddling around looking for signal , much more accurate than 1 or 2 bars etc

http://www.nerve.org.za/e620tool/

No goats were injured during the preparation of this post :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 saloon

Thanks guys, (have just put away the "101 ways with goat" cookbook). My coverage isn't brill, but I don't have any other alternative, bar dial-up.

Will look into a 5m cord, it will def give more flexibility. Am wondering about the clear plastic bag idea- do you think this is a goer?

3 suggested I use the 'web accerator' but it's incompatible with AVG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

clear plastic will not block it like a wall or glass would.

do make sur ethe wind does not bang it against anything either.

Advertisement