Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gavin Duffy and Gormley Head to Head

Options
  • 06-09-2007 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

At 5.30 This evening Duffy and Gormely go head to head on the matt cooper show on Today FM about the licence for the Ward Union Hunt .
    Worth a listen i think.
    text :I support the issue of a licence to the ward union hunt to 53102 and support them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

What frequency is Today FM?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

foxhunter wrote:
    text :I support the issue of a licence to the ward union hunt to 53102 and support them
    Who is on the receiving end of this number?

What frequency is Today FM?.
    100-102MHz FM.
    Live on t'internet here- http://www.todayfm.com/default.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Rovi wrote:
    Who is on the receiving end of this number?
    Its Today FMs Number

foxhunter wrote:
    Its Today FMs Number
    Fair enough, text sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

He's no good I think... Attacking animal welfare activists is no good. He needs to keep to the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

I'm not too sure, I thought he did well. He made some good points and dispelled some of the myths about the stag hunt.

Very disappointed with Matt Cooper, his snide and sneering remarks were uncalled for, regardless of his personal beliefs.

ShowAndGo wrote:

Very disappointed with Matt Cooper, his snide and sneering remarks were uncalled for, regardless of his personal beliefs.

Yes that last bit was really uncalled for.

Comparing animals to humans is just stupid anyway, I mean who brings their kids down to the local doctor to be neutered??? Just because something is wrong for a person, doesnt mean its wrong for an animal. Anyone who keeps farm animals probably terrifies the life out of them week in week out as well anyway (in the normal run of business).

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

His point about keeping the only pure Red herd in Ireland wild was a bit weak I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Anyone have a link to the archive of that show?

• Advertisement

I wouldnt bother if I were you, its just annoying... But if you really want it I'm sure there are podcasts up on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There doesn't seem to be one up on the podcasting page yet, but it should be here when they get it up there:
    http://audio.todayfm.com/audio/20070906170010.mp3

...and that link is now live. 13.7Mb though...

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I don't think he came off too badly really! but i was disapointed with Matt Cooper who clearly held a biased position against Mr Duffy:mad:

I don't think he came off too badly really!
    Can't agree with that. No clear points, antagonised the interviewer by being patronising to him, and while refusing to engage with the ICABS person was the right thing to do, he should have made it clear why he was doing it and preferably mentioned the criminal records some of the hunt sabs have in the process. You can't refuse to engage someone like that without destroying their credibility; otherwise you're giving them free airtime. And calling them lunatics doesn't count; it lets them play the martyr.

The sad thing is, we've known for a very long time now that the spokespeople for our associations need media training - and I mean need, not "oh, it'd be nice to do when we have spare time" - but we're obviously not doing what we need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

The sad thing is, we've known for a very long time now that the spokespeople for our associations need media training - and I mean need, not "oh, it'd be nice to do when we have spare time" - but we're obviously not doing what we need to do.

Amen to that! grassroots stuff is great but we need to be slick at the top level and in the media,every detail should be covered
    Bryan

Yup.

Needs to be said though, that we need both slickness at the top and huge grassroots support. Send one guy to do some media training and speak for us and it's an improvement only if we do not stop sending in emails and phone calls and letters to the press and so forth. The grassroots is the engine; the slick guys'n'girls at the top are the tyres. Need both to get anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

looking through the websites when you google anything to do with hunting, all you are bombarded with is anti hunting websites and other trickle condeming hunting and other field sports all under the term blood sports.

before im attacked and told to get up off my arse and do it myself, would anybody think it would be a good idea, in essence, to have a pro hunting website. possibly backed by the n.a.r.g.c and the countryside alliance, which would give people like us a voice - and in turn promote shooting as a sport (in every aspect from hunting to targets)?

just an idea?

i think thats a great idea,there are a few sites out there the NARGC,Hunting association of Ireland and the Irish masters of foxhounds.
    all are hard to find and have no news page!
    the ICABS is a pretty good campaign site.
    maybe we could do a few stickies here of sample letters,or those sites could.
    it would be nice to stop fighting fires and set the agenda ourselves,like set a date for targeting TD's and the minister about a restricted list or one man one license.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i think so too. it will take some work, maybe people throwing a few quid togther ( i have no notion how to set up a site) but there a good few regulars here who would definitly be interested i bet (and we cant leave out clare gunner)! maybe monday when we have the time and people are online we might start a thread and see what other people think of the idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I d say every person who write here would gladly support. Not taking away from boards but is not the shooting section a website without the pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

foxhunter wrote:
    At 5.30 This evening Duffy and Gormely go head to head on the matt cooper show on Today FM about the licence for the Ward Union Hunt .
    Worth a listen i think.
    with all due respect , and for the sake of all field sports ,do not let mr duffy any where near the press again .

yeah seems the people that put themselves forward for these things are not always the best.
    the day it was covered by joe duffy a vet phoned in that hunted with the ward union,he was the best person i've ever heard talk for hunting.tore the anti that was on to pieces.
    i think cooper went fairly lightly on Duffy and gave him every chance but he didn't do much with his chance.
    spoofed alot and why the hell would you use the word exhuasted?The anti's have been chalenging the legal definition of the stags being domesticated for ages and he never really touched on that.
    couldn't put a good spin on winning the lotto
    bryan

Irish Independent today:
    Hunting is a sport to be preserved
    Wednesday September 12 2007

Scarcely a week goes by without a letter to the editor from John Fitzgerald, fulminating against hunting and fieldsports in general. In his latest missive herails against hare coursing.

Pejorative terms such as “baiting” are used and the reality that greyhounds are now muzzled during coursing is completely ignored. Mr Fitzgerald attacks Minister Brian Cowen for being influenced, in some unsubstantiated way, by a sinister hare coursing lobby.

He concludes by referring to “marketing surveys” which allegedly show that 70pc to 80pc of Irish people oppose harecoursing and want it banned. Mr Fitzgerald does not specify who commissioned these surveys and how they were carried out.

Your readers might ask themselves, is giving in to the will of the majority always a good idea? Hunting is something mankind has engaged in for thousands of years. Humanity as a species could not have survived without these natural instincts and indeed, Mr Fitzgerald might reflect, were it not for hunting he would not exist to write his letters today.

Hare coursing is a traditional Irish fieldsport that sees hound and hare compete in the way nature intended. It is part of our heritage and should be celebrated and not banned.

Philip Donnelly,
    Donadea,
    Co. Kildare

And then the Examiner yesterday:
    Stag-hunters should find some other pursuit

BLOODSPORTS enthusiasts, and in particular the Ward Union Hunt in Co Meath, have been making an unholy show of themselves on the airwaves recently.

The penny has finally dropped that there is a Green Party environment minister who doesn’t like what the Ward Union members do in their spare time, namely, chase a terrified stag across the countryside with up to 40 baying hounds in pursuit — just for the fun of it.

What has been especially noticeable is the arrogant tone of every bloodsports representative I heard being interviewed. Throughout last week they sounded like spoilt children whose favourite toy was in imminent danger of being confiscated.

The Ward Union is the same hunt that ran completely out of control last year when a terrified stag ended up in a primary school playground during school hours. They are now seeking a licence from Environment Minister John Gormley to hunt more stags. They should find a more compassionate way to while away their leisure hours.

Mr Gormley represents a party that has spoken out against animal exploitation throughout its 25-year history.

Now that the party is in government, there will be opportunities to turn some of those long-standing policies into action.

It won’t be easy because those who participate in bloodsports will use every trick in the book to prevent any interference with their activities.

If anyone can effect change for the good, it will be the present minister.

Gerry Boland
    Keadue
    Co Roscommon

below is some of an article on the green party polocies and Gerry boland of the letter above gets a mention
    What has this got to do with the Green Party in Ireland?
    If you look at their website, you will see that policy on Animal Rights issues were drawn up by two of the leading Animal Rights Activists in Ireland, Gerry Boyland and Nuala Donnelan. They appear in all sorts of Animal Rights Organisations. Most notably they run AFAR (Alliance For Animal Rights) and advocate not only total vegetarianism and veganism, but take credit for inviting known Animal Liberation Front arsonists and terrorists such as Keith Mann to come to Ireland to address their meetings and promote their cause. They also have associations with PETA and HSUS. Trevor Sargent is a member of ICABS (Irish Council Against Blood Sports) he has forcefully stated his objections to Hunting and other field sports. Patricia McKenna has spoken against using animals for medical research. Thankfully she is not in the government, but is still major figure in the Greens. Dan Boyle has spoken against field sports and Irish beef farming practices. I expect that is why he lost his seat, but he may not yet be a spent force either.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

stevoman wrote:
    before im attacked and told to get up off my arse and do it myself, would anybody think it would be a good idea, in essence, to have a pro hunting website. possibly backed by the n.a.r.g.c and the countryside alliance, which would give people like us a voice - and in turn promote shooting as a sport (in every aspect from hunting to targets)?

just an idea?

Best idea I've heard in a long time, and wouldn't cost the earth. I have a mate who sets up web pages, I'm sure he would charge very little for this cause!
    AFAIK, it's not mad money for the domain name and hosting either!

so this guy gery boland sat on the policy group for the greens policy on animal rights(not welfare) he also set up the group AFAR, which promote and report on the actions of the ALF and are currently organising a campaign againt ST. Josephs school for the visually impaired, because that charity was going to raise money with a night at the greyhounds.
    nice,Bryan

Write to the Times, Examiner and Independent so Bryan. Publicly pointing things like that out would be helpful. Just don't overstate it - point out that they're putting their belief in not racing greyhounds ahead of the welfare of blind children, and that's more than enough to do the damage. Let the reader do the rhetoric, it's more effective that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Sparks wrote:
    Write to the Times, Examiner and Independent so Bryan. Publicly pointing things like that out would be helpful. Just don't overstate it - point out that they're putting their belief in not racing greyhounds ahead of the welfare of blind children, and that's more than enough to do the damage. Let the reader do the rhetoric, it's more effective that way.

Thanks for the link Sparks.

Write in campaigns can be very effective.

Re: Gavin Duffy...agree he may not be the best when trying to put the best foot forward. Name calling is not a solution, rather a catalyst. Is it possible he was the only volunteer?

Astute public relations combined with savvy media communications management- relations bolstered by strong grassroots organizations.

• Advertisement

Re: Gavin Duffy...agree he may not be the best when trying to put the best foot forward. Name calling is not a solution, rather a catalyst. Is it possible he was the only volunteer?
    Well, it would be, but he wasn't.
    He did apparently redeem himself the next morning on another show, but you know media - first impressions are the only impressions.
    I'm not interested in name-calling though - the lesson here isn't that Gavin's not good at this, it's that we, as a group, are not good at this because we have never taken it seriously enough.
    Where's the professional PR agency handling our media communications fulltime?
    Hell, get enough cash together, we could hire John Tierney to do it :D

Advertisement