Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner on the Motorway

Options
  • 06-09-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quickie.
    What exactly is the situation with Learner drivers being on the motorway? I know your not supposed to be on it but my mates been nabbed a few times and the officers havent done or said anything anything to him.
    Anyone know of anyone or themselves been done for driving on the motorway as a learner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its not legal, even if you have a fully licenced driver with you, but they tend to turn a blind eye to it. I imagine that will change if they ever get the driving test wait time down to an acceptable level.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My understanding is that if you are a learner on a motorway, and you are involved in a crash, you are not covered by your insurance at all? Reasoning being, you are breaking the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

antodeco wrote:
    My understanding is that if you are a learner on a motorway, and you are involved in a crash, you are not covered by your insurance at all? Reasoning being, you are breaking the law?

That's like saying, if you are over the speed limit you are not insured because you are breaking the law. Of course this is incorrect, you may not have comprehensive but I'm fairly sure you will still be covered third party,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

tuxy wrote:
    That's like saying, if you are over the speed limit you are not insured because you are breaking the law. Of course this is incorrect, you may not have comprehensive but I'm fairly sure you will still be covered third party,

That doesn't make sense, i dont think you would be insured.. if your pi$$ed drunk and you crashed, would they still cover you?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i forget the exact wording on my poilicy but its on the lines of :

Im insured if i currently have a full licence, Provisional Licence or have ever held a full licence or Provisional Licence even if its expired....

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote:
    That doesn't make sense, i dont think you would be insured.. if your pi$$ed drunk and you crashed, would they still cover you?

Why does it not make sense? If you crash while drunk you are covered third party. Of course it would be very difficult and expensive to ever get insured again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Its Illegal plain an simple. And if you use the motorway to get to your driving test be sure you don't mention it to the tester ;)

But your question raises another. I've a full bike license, recently got a provisional car license could I do it legally? The law isn't clear on this, it doesn't state specifically "for the class of vehicle for which you are currently driving".

Its Illegal plain an simple. And if you use the motorway to get to your driving test be sure you don't mention it to the tester ;)

What if you drive to the test with no full licence holder in the car with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tuxy wrote:

Your still not allowed on the motorway. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tuxy wrote:
    Don't mention that either.........

Can't say I know anybody who's done otherwise, mind you :confused: It's not like you see a bunch of people standing around the test centre waiting for the person to finish their test :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

tuxy wrote:

It's alright if you're on second provisional isn't it?

It's alright if you're on second provisional isn't it?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

A lot of learners on the motorway are not competant enough to drive there so should stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

But your question raises another. I've a full bike license, recently got a provisional car license could I do it legally? The law isn't clear on this, it doesn't state specifically "for the class of vehicle for which you are currently driving".

The law is clear. You may travel according to the class of licence you have. You may bike on the M1, but not drive your car.

Advertisement