Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Year Geography

• 06-09-2007 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what Geography is like as a subject - easy, hard etc. What's the homework like? Also, does it remain at the same intensity for the 3 years ie. easier, harder etc. How many actually study this subject? I hear its quite a large class. Also, is there a limit on numbers for the H. Dip. in GIS and Remote sensing?
    Any info. greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭brian crackout

Ive just finished my BA with geography as one of my subjects. I found it to be a very challenging subject throughout the whole 3 years. First year essentially provides an overview of what to expect from geography as a whole. The course only really starts in 2nd year, where you will have more choice between physical geog and human geog, but you will have to do a minimum of one physical module. there is also a field trip to undertake in 2nd year. Third year, if you choose to do a double honours degree, you will have to undertake a research project of your own. if you opt for a single honours degree (i.e. geography alone) you will have to do a 10 000 word thesis that you research for yourself. Overall, Expect a hell of a lot of group work and projects as opposed to essay type assessments. oh and be prepared for Dr. Waddington, shes an experience in herself!
    If your up for a challenge and dont mind a bit of hard work, geography would suit you. Oh and i would advise you to stay away from the climatology module in 2nd year, its exceptionally difficult. there is a limit to the GIS module, and class sizes are big in first year. but in 2nd year onwards, class sizes will get smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sandee

Taking single honours geography from second year is great! you really get a feel for what is going on in the world and you would be so surprised as to the subject matter geography applies to. Last year i covered everything from the geography of sex and sexuality to the rambling hills of county antrim.

If you do decide to give geography a go don't be put off by first year, second year really shows what the subject is all about... anything you want it to be.

Trust me its a great subject and it certainly opens up the world to those who study it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

A Big Thank You to both brian and sandee for your help on this subject. I was just wondering if not having taken Geography for the Leaving would be a disadvantage. Also, for the Group and Project work, when would the groups meet eg. at night etc. It's just I am a mature student and will have a 2 hour commute over and back to Maynooth, so I am just trying to figure put practicalities. By the way, I am intrigued about the Dr. Waddington comment. Is she a tyrant or comedian? Sandee, Did you partake in a combination of those two topics by any chance ie. sex on the rambling hills of Co. Antrim? (Gives new meaning to field studies!) Thanks again, guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭brian crackout

Dr Waddington is grand, shes just a bit of a character. to first years she probably seems like a bit of a tyrant but shes grand when ya get to know her. no matter what subjects you choose expect them to be polls apart from what you learned at school. its a totally different ballgame. it makes no difference if you did geography at school or not. Generally people meet up for group work during college hours when everybody is free at the same time, the library is the usual meeting spot. Dont worry about it youll get to grips with it fairly soon, everybody else is in the same boat as yourself. Mature students are not rare in maynooth, in my geog class there were loads of people well into their fifties so dont be put off by age.
    Any how best of luck if ya do end up taking geography.
    ps, If you need any geog books i might be able to sell ya a few, PM me if ya have a list.

Advertisement