Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick... now on for the doughnuts!!

• 06-09-2007 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Was just walking home from work earlier, when I saw a cop car with it's blue flashing lights on pass traffic and turn into a shopping centre up the road.
    As I walked past the shopping centre, I saw 3 guards in the chinese take-away there... I was expecting a bit of commotion, but they looked very relaxed and one of them came out to have a look at the bigger menu on the window!! It obviously was an emergancy!
    I kept on walking home, and then around 10 mins later, saw the same cop car driving down the road, with lights on again), not going at a crazy pace, but still overtaking on the basis that drivers saw the blue flashing lights.... as they made their way back to the local cop shop.

I used to joke about this kind of thing happening, but never thought it did.
    i presume they couldn't drive as fast as they'd want, with full sirens blaring, in case of an accident... I could imagine that one being tabloid fodder for ages!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

As far as I know the Siren is actually hooked up to a computer system to alert HQ that a car is on some form of call that does have to be logged when they return to the station!!
    The lights however aren't so alot of gardai will just use the lights only approach and possibly the horn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

have often seen this happen.

I have no respect for the guards on the basis of sh!te like this which is by no means uncommon.

I always rememebr in college if there was a big event (i.e. p!ss up) the local garda station would never answer the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Whats the brewery in Swindon? Courage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Friend of my dad's had a blue light thing in his car and used to lash it onto the top every so often if stuck in traffic :D Great idea! Don't think I'd have the sack for it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

DaveMcG wrote:
    Friend of my dad's had a blue light thing in his car and used to lash it onto the top every so often if stuck in traffic :D Great idea! Don't think I'd have the sack for it though
    Not really a bright idea.

OP: did you manage to note the car reg. or the ID?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fanny **** wrote:
    I have no respect for the guards on the basis of sh!te like this which is by no means uncommon..

Have you ever used any aspects of a job you've had to help you out in otherareas or done things not stricly job related? I know I have and have no quams (sp?) about doing it.

DaveMcG wrote:

The guy I bought my van off had an orange flashing light installed in it. Was thinking about giving it a going over with a ligh tblue paint.:) As you said though, dont think I'd have the balls, bound to be caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Scumbags abusing their power. Report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Stekelly wrote:
    Have you ever used any aspects of a job you've had to help you out in otherareas or done things not stricly job related? I know I have and have no quams (sp?) about doing it.

Not that I can think of tbh.

Anyway thats a bullsh!t response. these people are meant to be doing a job, keeping law and order, not spinning about in their car abusing their power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

meh, they prob only had a few mins left of their lunch break! Or maybe the boss had gone out of the office for a few mins or gone to a meeting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fanny **** wrote:

Anyway thats a bullsh!t response. these people are meant to be doing a job, keeping law and order, not spinning about in their car abusing their power.

If anything it'll get them in and out for their lunchbreak quicker and spend less time arsing about in traffic.

TBH I couldnt care less if they drove around all day with the sirens on getting things done quicker, it doesnt really delay me or change my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

im no expert in the law, as you know, so I'd hardly be able to comment on the teachings they're given down in that lovely garda school down the country.

but c'mon, seriously, how do ya know they weren't robbed? Maybe the curry chips and fried rice were as a thank you for coming to the rescue so fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Fanny **** wrote:
    have often seen this happen.

I have no respect for the guards on the basis of sh!te like this which is by no means uncommon.
    Same here, years back I saw them do this with a McDonald's drive through (back when the drive throughs were new), lost a lot of respect for them then and have seen enough similar sh*t since that I've only continued to lose respect for them.
    I mean seriously, seeing a police car flying along the motorway with it's lights flashing and then pulls in to the bloody drive through!?!? And we're supposed to have some respect for these people?!:mad:

I'm so hoping that this whole thing of having external, civilian, people over the Gardaí will put a stop to this kind of abuse of power and get the lazy bums off their asses and responding to people's requests for aid.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Nope, don't even use my work phone for personal calls. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

I don’t really see a problem with this. If I was a Garda I’d be pulling all kinds of sh!t like this. Sending out the ERU in the coppa choppa to get me some smokes and a packet of monster munch

Advertisement