Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wish someone told me that!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

what does dmi stand for in the previous post?
    i wish every stranger you meet didn't give you stoopid advice in a condescending, all-knowing tone.
    i think new parents shouldn't b expected to take more visitors than a little in the first few precious weeks. well meaning relatives and friends should respect that baby's need time to bond with their parents and vice versa. does anyone else feel the same? breastfeeding babies especially need to feed practically 24/7 but this can be hard when there are visitors waiting downstairs to meet the new baby.
    everyone's parenting skills are different but each baby is unique and each mother knows her baby best and should trust her feelings and be assertive on how she wants her child raised despite the ways of loving grannys.
    pack early, or at least on time :) i was so sure i'd go late i hadn't even packed when i went two days early. i was in agony with labour pains tryin to tell my o/h wat to pack for me when i was unable to move or even talk so i ended up in hospital without toothbrush or deodrant or a nightdress or anything i needed but i had skinny jeans and nailvarnish!
    the biggest surprize i got was how much i loved my son and loved just being with him. i never thought i'd chose a cosy night with him than wanting to go out.
    on the babymonitor issue, i think they're great. our son has been in his cot in his own room since 6months since we can trust to leave him. he has a routine knowing we have really left the room and he has to go asleep. if it wasn't for the monitor we would be lurking around and distract him from sleep. a lot of my friends who didn't use monitors felt they had to keep the baby close to them leading to the baby knowing they are there so not wanting to sleep. and then it's easier for you to run to the cot at every squirm and the baby doesn't learn to self sooth in which case he would settle within minutes and mam and dad get decent enough rest too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Dont Buy A Moses Basket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

i wish every stranger you meet didn't give you stoopid advice in a condescending, all-knowing tone.
    i think new parents shouldn't b expected to take more visitors than a little in the first few precious weeks. well meaning relatives and friends should respect that baby's need time to bond with their parents and vice versa. does anyone else feel the same? breastfeeding babies especially need to feed practically 24/7 but this can be hard when there are visitors waiting downstairs to meet the new baby.
    everyone's parenting skills are different but each baby is unique and each mother knows her baby best and should trust her feelings and be assertive on how she wants her child raised despite the ways of loving grannys.

lol, i don't have kids, but my mother said that was the best piece of advice she'd been given, that parents know their own babies best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

My mother's best advice to me when I had my DD was not to worry about her crying...

What I mean is this: As a new parent, you do everything you can think of to soothe a crying babe. You wonder: is it wind, is she hungry/tired/needing a cuddle/cold/hot/wet/dirty/etc etc etc. You can drive yourself crazy trying to think of what it could be. I found myself going down a checklist everytime my DD started crying, and sometimes I found myself at the end of the list and my poor wee lady's still screaming.

When I told my mom this, she chuckled (in a knowing kind of way) and said that sometimes babes just need to cry. This is because they have no other way of releasing energy and frustrations. Sometimes nothing is wrong, they just need to release pent up energy, and crying's the only way to do this.

She suggested that I just hold DD and let her know she's not alone, and let her cry. That way she'll be able to release her energy and she'll feel better.

Anyway, I tried it and it seemed to help. If nothing else it helped me, just knowing that sometimes babe's just need to cry. I stopped stressing (as much) when I couldn't "fix" the problem.

Advertisement