Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow FTP download

Options
  • 06-09-2007 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Trying to download a 4gb file from a friends FTP in Sweden. Normally my max download speed is just over 200kb/s. But for some reason I cannot download this file any faster then 115kb/s :( Which means it'll take me about 10 hours.

Ive no idea why this is. I'm on Eircom. 2mb down 256kb up.

I have the FTP port 21 forwarded on my cayman 3300 router.

& I'm using download accelerator. The kick in the nuts is, I left this downloading all last night. But a fluctuation in my connection must have happened as DAP stopped downloading the file at 2.8gb but instead of pausing the file it reads it as completed. So I can't fkin continue the download. And have to start all over again :mad:

Oh and one more thing, the guy does not have his FTP limited as others were able to get full speed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There's 3 maybe 4 options: 1)move to sweden 2) get yer mate to post it 3) upgrade you line speed. Nothing you can really do about it just have some patience...or 4) try another app. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Chances are your mate is on DSL, therefore you are limited by his upload speed as you can't download it any faster than he can upload it.

FYI: you don't need to forward a port to make an outgoing connection, only if the connection was incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Sean_K wrote:
    Chances are your mate is on DSL, therefore you are limited by his upload speed as you can't download it any faster than he can upload it.

As I said, others where able to download from him at full speed. These guys have even faster connections then me. Downloading the file from him at 500kb/s etc etc.

So why can't I download at full speed? 200kb/s? Why is my speed cut in half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

woops didn't see that

Advertisement