Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Sunni, a Shia, and an Irishman walk into a Sauna...

Options
  • 06-09-2007 6:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, what's the spiel here?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070904/ap_on_re_mi_ea/finland_iraq_talks
    "And at the end of our discussions, we had a tremendous breakthrough," Sinn Fein deputy leader Martin McGuinness, one of the Northern Ireland politicians attending the talks, told The Associated Press. "All of the participants committed themselves to work towards a robust framework for a lasting settlement."

First I've heard of it. Is the SF presence at these talks being well advertised in Ireland? I mean, I guess as they're a valid political party and recently took part in their own peace agreement it makes sense.

NTM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

how come no mention of the DUP and PUP involvement? it's certainly had very little coverage here too, i only heard in passing on the news the other day. you'd have thought everyone would be hailing it as a momentous occasion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I have seen some coverage on the RTE website, but not enough, unless they want to play it down.

It's a good idea, if those guys can live and work together it shows the Sunnis and Shia it can bbe done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its been discussed & noted in Ireland, but the Iraqi situation is far more fluid than Northern Ireland was - there are multiple groups involved, the role of the state is far, far, far weaker and its agencies such as the police and army have been infliltrated wholesale by many factions rather than just small groups being sympathetic or supportive of one or the other. I'm not sure Martin and the boys can pass on that many relevant tips. Im still looking forward to their trip to assist with the Colombian peace process tbh.

Advertisement