Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Kilbeggan to Athlone

Options

Comments

Looks to me like the infrastructure is almost complete, just needs the road surface to be laid. Went past yesterday, It looked like they were prepairing to finish the sub-surface on the western end of the bridge, eastern side appears complete.

Edit: I am referring to the overbridge west of Moate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Am heading our for a spin on the bike tomorrow morning. Will head for Kilbeggan and spur off the main road at each road that will have a flyover over the M6 to try and get a full picture.

[speculation]
    There is another reason for the opening date being put back, and that is the fact that the contractors have installed motorway signs (technicaly it's still a HQDC). The consultation period for upgrading this and other sections to motorway standard will probably go on until the early summer. It can't be opened as a motorway if it's legally a HQDC.

To open the road before it is legally classified as a motorway, the contractors would have to change the signage.

It would be a bit silly to replace all the signs with green ones and then change them back a few weeks later.

[/speculation]

I hope I'm wrong but sillier things have happened before.

That junction was an add-on, I recon that they had this idea of opening the Moate - Kilbeggan section first then realised that the only junction was to the east of Moate.
    So add in a new (cheap) junction to the west and bypass Moate as soon as possible. It's a good thing that plan was shelved as this junction would have been a nightmare, with westbound traffic having to turn right from a minor road onto the old N6 & being held up by all the eastbound local traffic etc.

Don't be surprised if it is'nt built at all now!
    I stand corrected! this junction is still being built, I drove that way yesterday. :o

Don't think the delay is anything to do with motorway signs.
    From looking east and west at all flyover bridges from Athlone to Horseleap yesterday morning its clear there is a pile of work yet to be done.
    The bridges are mostly done apart from numbers 2 and 3 (opposite the landfill site and the 1 being built close to Castledaly crossroads). Based on the rate of construction of the bridge a mile east of Moate, which incidentally i reckon will open this week, then i'd say bridges 2 and 3 are least 2 months from completion.
    Also, there appears to be a new bridge being built for the old Clara road out from Moate. The old road is now closed (presumably to allow for construction of this bridge) and of course to get to Clara you have to go to the roundabout out the Horseleap road from Moate. Anyway, this bridge seems to have only recently started and thus is months from completion.
    All other bridges 100% done.
    No final wearing course layer of tarmac to be seen anywhere yet albeit that the vast majority of the road has the base layer down apart from around recently completed bridges.
    No crash barriers erected anywhere yet
    All in all, progress seems to suggest that it is not 1 single issue that is preventing an April opening which again begs the question as to why we were told April only a couple of months ago
    At least there was a hive of activity with bridge builders and machinery around bridge 2 (opposite the landfill site) at 8am on Saturday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sections of hardcore are down on the route where it crosses the existing N6 east of Aughrim, on the Ballinasloe bypass section and again where it crosses from South to North approaching Athlone from the west.

the bridge west of Moate is still a reasonable way from completion - the new carriageway is still below the bridge deck at the west end anyway.

The overbridge west of Moate, looks like it's making good progress, came through early this morning and they had stripped the surface of the old road in preparation to lay the final surface over the bridge. Not long now before opening the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

Bridge west of Moate (at Farnagh) was open this morning. :)

Two way traffic. No road markings down yet but cones are at the road edges and in the middle of the road.

Back on the temp loop tonight when I drove home, :confused:

The ends of the loop are rather dangerouse as theyhave very narrow lanes with sharp bends. Looks like they run out of time tonight.

Back on the temp loop tonight when I drove home, :confused:

The ends of the loop are rather dangerouse as theyhave very narrow lanes with sharp bends. Looks like they run out of time tonight.

Looks like I jumped the gun there. :rolleyes: Seems like the new bridge was only temporarily opened Friday morning. Heres hoping it's finished this week coming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang

The Q into Moate towards dublin was the longest I've ever seen it last night. It must have been over a mile past the new bridge. I had to turn back and head up towards Mulingar -which really is not a bad alternate as it only took about 75minutes from Athlone to get to the end of the N4 at Leixlip.

I know the bridge is a nice milestone but I really cannot wait until the whole road gets opened.

Right, for those heading east on a Sunday night, the easiest way to avoid Moate is as per below. Never mind looking for the backroads when you see a 2-4 mile tailback on the main road

Take the 'Cavan' / 'Blyry Industrial Estate' exit when heading east on the Athlone dual carriageway (3rd exit after the Shannon). At the top of the slip road, take a left. After about 50 metres take the first right for 'Mount Temple' and 'Baylin'. Keep going straigt for 6 miles bringing you to a 'fork' yield junction on the edge of Mount Temple. Take a right at this junction and then straight on through Mount Temple and all the way to Moate (~3 miles). As you are coming into Moate, take a left immediately after you cross over a railway line. Follow on for about 500m bringing you to a junction right in the middle of Moate. Left to merge into the flow of traffic for Dublin.
    This 'detour' off the Athlone by-pass is only about half a mile longer to Moate than going via the main road

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

blast05 wrote: »
    Right, for those heading east on a Sunday night, the easiest way to avoid Moate is as per below. Never mind looking for the backroads when you see a 2-4 mile tailback on the main road

Take the 'Cavan' / 'Blyry Industrial Estate' exit when heading east on the Athlone dual carriageway (3rd exit after the Shannon). At the top of the slip road, take a left. After about 50 metres take the first right for 'Mount Temple' and 'Baylin'. Keep going straigt for 6 miles bringing you to a 'fork' yield junction on the edge of Mount Temple. Take a right at this junction and then straight on through Mount Temple and all the way to Moate (~3 miles). As you are coming into Moate, take a left immediately after you cross over a railway line. Follow on for about 500m bringing you to a junction right in the middle of Moate. Left to merge into the flow of traffic for Dublin.
    This 'detour' off the Athlone by-pass is only about half a mile longer to Moate than going via the main road

Don't suppose you have a detour for travelling west by any chance....?

There is but i wouldn't have a hope of being able to give you the level of detail i did in the last post. If the tailback is very long then take a left turn halfway along the long 2 mile straight just before Moate (the turn is just before the old hotel on the right hand side). Follow this until you come out on to the Moate Clara road turning right for Moate. You will come to a new roundabout linked to the motorway being built from which you turn left and i'm afriad i'll have to leave you there. Follow your nose and you will either find yourself rejoining the main road just west of the new flyover bridge 1 mile west of Moate or else you will find yourself rejoining the main road half to Athlone.

I have taken a bypass going west but the road is very narrow and there are some vans using it now so i dont bother. The way is as follows...
    Take a left turn off the main road just atthe Mercedes truck garage or whatever it is. There is a signpost to TUBER. Keep on this road(over the new bypass being built ) and into what i assume is TUBER. Cross the main road here and travel for about a mile or so. There is a sneaky right turn at a Neighbourhood watch signpost or something- take this. Road gets nice and straight for a few miles until a cross road. Again straight through and dont go over 20 KMPH as this bit is really bumpy. Follow all the way along -where it starts to get V Narrow and windy. Another cross roads and straight throug again- actually its slightly offset but go straight. You'll come out atthe new bridge. As I said V Skinny and i tend to sit in the traffic rather than take it these days- new car and all that

any progress on the bridge?

Pittabang wrote: »
    any progress on the bridge?

Came through earlier today, looks like the finishing touches were being put on the final road layout. It may open tonight!! *hopefully*
    I will be going that way again tonight will update this then.

EDIT: Fully open now, most of the roadworks signs are gone as well. one set of works less to worry about. :D

AM wrote: »
    Looks like I jumped the gun there. :rolleyes: Seems like the new bridge was only temporarily opened Friday morning. Heres hoping it's finished this week coming...
    It is now :)

smashing news. I look forward to driving it on Friday and having a goo at the rest of the building site, one more piece down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/WestmeathCountyCouncil/N6KinnegadAthloneKMA/Map,11577,en.pdf

According to the website which may not be up to date, this scheme is not due for completion until the end of Q3 2008.

So dont get too excited folks.

No mention about any fly over bridge in Moate

But then again it is a while since I have been on the N6, me Dub ya see, lol

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/WestmeathCountyCouncil/N6KinnegadAthloneKMA/Map,11577,en.pdf

According to the website which may not be up to date, this scheme is not due for completion until the end of Q3 2008.

So dont get too excited folks.

Yeah, it's looking more like a summer completion date. I'll stick my neck out and guess they'll try to finish it in time for the builder's holidays, so mid-July.
    No mention about any fly over bridge in Moate

But then again it is a while since I have been on the N6, me Dub ya see, lol

The bridge under discussion is part of the current N6 and is necessary because the new road goes north under this road near junction 7 on the map you gave above.

This morning they began demolishing the temporary road beside the new bridge so there'll soon be a new view to the south soon.

• Advertisement

AM wrote: »
    This morning they began demolishing the temporary road beside the new bridge so there'll soon be a new view to the south soon.
    I believe that's the last piece of sub-road (or whatever it's called) that needs to be built. the remainder of the route could possibly be driven on (without a 4x4)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ah i dreamed of a Moate bypass last night....

I really should get out more! :rolleyes:

I've had that dream before too:DAnd I expect to keep having it until the end of the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

Just noticed that when you ask Google maps for a Dublin-Galway itinerary, it now takes you on the, as yet unfinished, N6 Moate bypass!
    Check it out here.

I'll get the 4x4 SUV :D

Good to see a few different gangs working on the road today - Sunday. Was surprised to see it.

so there is about 6 weeks to go to the end of April. what do you rekon for a Moate bypass by then. Remember there was some talk not so long ago about a partial opening ahead of the full opening. Just wondering if it physically looks possible?
    I have the luxury of driving round the streets of sao paulo for the next couple of weeks and I have realised what bad traffic is really like.

I may never be cross at Moate again....doubt it though...::p:

anyone got anything to report

I cant see it happening. The silence from the guys that are building it is deafening. Theyd be boasting if they were on or near ahead of schedule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Was driving from Portlaoise to Athlone(via tullamore/clara/Moate) and I was queueing to join main road from roundabout outside Moate. After 30 mins of creeping forward we turned around and went back to Tullamore. I'm sure the fact that this was a Saturday on a B/H weekend was the reason it was so bad. Oh how I wished I'd an SUV and the balls to put it down on the slip road to the Motorway which was near!!
    From what I saw at the weekend there is no way that the bypass could be open in 6 weeks

• Advertisement

We need slave labour to speed this bloody thing up. How many months of our lives have we wasted in Moate unnecessarily already?! :confused:

Advertisement