Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grand Creator

Options
  • 06-09-2007 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Why do you think it is people believe in god, the answer is simple we are scared, we are scared that someday we won't exist, we are petrified that one day ourselves will just cease to be and nothing but darkness goes on from there.

You see we all fear that there is no reason to existance that we can't leave a mark in this world, that we will be forgotten someday a trait humans have taken on through evoloution to help us stay alive.

God is not the one who created humans, but it is in fact humans that have created god. Think about how each religon has one big motive to it whether it be reincarnation or eternal bliss in a sanctuary called heaven, they are al in fact just hope.

They are hope to millions that we can go on living forever and it may be false hope but any hope is better then none right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Excuse me I am the grand creator- I was just really lazy and decided to allow the universe to come to be without leaving evidence I was here. Actually I was so lazy I burnt down heaven- forgot the toaster was on you see and had to come chill down here. So basically it kinda sucks, but I'm glad that evolution did all the work for me. Hell I needn't even exist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Why do you think it is people believe in god, the answer is simple we are scared
    Nope, it's not that simple. I'm sure some people are motivated by fear, but you forget that some people might get off on the bells and smells or the sound and light; some might enjoy the feeling of secret power and access to "infinite" intelligence; others like the automatic power and status that comes with religion; some because they've never thought about it or were indoctrinated from birth or both; some like the in-group/out-group thing; some enjoy the abominably tedious self-legitimization on offer; others have some life-changing experience and think the god(s) did it; others are threatened into it, or lulled by soft words and promises of the unattainable. And so on.

Whatever else, religion is subtle and don't just work because one small group of people can scare the bejesus out of a much larger one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 4_tailed_fox

dan719 wrote:
    Excuse me I am the grand creator- I was just really lazy and decided to allow the universe to come to be without leaving evidence I was here. Actually I was so lazy I burnt down heaven- forgot the toaster was on you see and had to come chill down here. So basically it kinda sucks, but I'm glad that evolution did all the work for me. Hell I needn't even exist.

and remember kids fossils are a test of faith!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 4_tailed_fox

robindch wrote:
    Nope, it's not that simple. I'm sure some people are motivated by fear, but you forget that some people might get off on the bells and smells or the sound and light; some might enjoy the feeling of secret power and access to "infinite" intelligence; others like the automatic power and status that comes with religion; some because they've never thought about it or were indoctrinated from birth or both; some like the in-group/out-group thing; some enjoy the abominably tedious self-legitimization on offer; others have some life-changing experience and think the god(s) did it; others are threatened into it, or lulled by soft words and promises of the unattainable. And so on.

Whatever else, religion is subtle and don't just work because one small group of people can scare the bejesus out of a much larger one.

I was actually talking about how people at the beginning became to believe in god, nowadays there are many reasons of course most are for family, nationality, culture, pressure and fear of course

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I was actually talking about how people at the beginning became to believe in god, nowadays there are many reasons of course most are for family, nationality, culture, pressure and fear of course
    I think in the beginning, it was more to do with answering questions that are otherwise unanswerable.

Even now, when you say you don't believe in god the first question you hear is "well then who created the universe?" - as if not knowing is simply not an option.

The motivation behind the individuals behind each religion that actually thought up the deities in question is another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

dan719 wrote:
    Excuse me I am the grand creator-

WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Advertisement