Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ign.ie - Irish Gaming Network

Options
  • 06-09-2007 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Finally we have gotten ign.ie off the ground, we are still working day and night to get more of the site features and functionality up onto the site.

We as gamers envision a place for Irish gamers where they can share stories make new online community gaming friends and get their daily fix of gaming information relevant to Ireland(and international as well).

So if your up too nothing sign up on the site and have a look around to let us know what you think and most importantly what you want.

ign.ie is a site by gamers for gamers.
    ign.ie

ziycon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nice website and a good idea, but I reckon you'll be getting a cease and desist letter from ign.com soon. They're dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Nice website and a good idea, but I reckon you'll be getting a cease and desist letter from ign.com soon. They're dicks.
    I don't see why when ign.com is registered under 'IGN Entertainment' not IGN, its just a coincidence that Irish Gaming Network abbreviates to IGN. We also have in our terms and conditions that we are in no way associated with IGN.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wow, resurrection!

I remember the old IGN.ie from years back :D

http://web.archive.org/web/19990202073142/http://www.ign.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ziycon wrote:
    I don't see why when ign.com is registered under 'IGN Entertainment' not IGN, its just a coincidence that Irish Gaming Network abbreviates to IGN. We also have in our terms and conditions that we are in no way associated with IGN.com!

coincidence?

You seem aware enough of the connection to have put a clause on it in your T&C!

Anyway, not a bad site but it's going to be the forums that will make or break it as there is very little Irish gaming news (or maybe your site will prove to me that their isn't!) and there are more established forums available atm so you'll have to do something significant to attract people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭wba88

you could put a 'for sale' section in the forum or 'swap shop' area, where people can buy sell or trade thier old games or consoles.

just an idea

• Advertisement

coincidence?

You seem aware enough of the connection to have put a clause on it in your T&C!

Anyway, not a bad site but it's going to be the forums that will make or break it as there is very little Irish gaming news (or maybe your site will prove to me that their isn't!) and there are more established forums available atm so you'll have to do something significant to attract people.
    People made me aware of ign.com hence the clause.

Also we are working on a good few new features for the site, just a matter of time till we get them sorted.
    wba88 wrote:
    you could put a 'for sale' section in the forum or 'swap shop' area, where people can buy sell or trade thier old games or consoles.
    just an idea
    Nice idea, will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

How many of you are involved btw?

Also, Boards.ie works. But it's not good enough imo.
    So thumbs up.

We need to merge IGN.IE with IE(Irish Esports)clan and ESAI website.

Then finally we will have a gaming central for Irish gamers. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

You're running a gaming website and weren't aware of ign.com?!

Nice site though, I like the design. The front page could do with a little more news and a little less mailing list subscription, and the releases list needs to have some sort filter for platform as well as splitting the list up by release date.

satchmo wrote:
    You're running a gaming website and weren't aware of ign.com?!

Nice site though, I like the design. The front page could do with a little more news and a little less mailing list subscription, and the releases list needs to have some sort filter for platform as well as splitting the list up by release date.
    Everything you listed there is in the pipline, being worked on as we speak!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

At a glance I'd put a clans bit in the top bit too, where the "home", "news", "events", etc.. are (keep the forum bit for discussion of the clans though!):
    Subdivide the listing by game and then list out the Irish clans, could be a good reference for:
    1. seeing how many Irish people we can expect to meet in a specific game
    2. seeing if a game needs an Irish clan or are there already plenty to pick from
    3. perhaps a POC to join specific clans should someone in them be willing to have their in game contact details posted

In games where there are multiple servers then best make sure to list the servers the clans are on, since it may be a case of more Irish people on one server compared to another.

Perhaps have the Upcoming Releases such that each title is a link to a good quality (in terms of writing and impartial examination of the game) preview somewhere, make it a nice little reference point for what's coming out.

Certainly shows promise...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

For both good branding reasons and to be on the safe side of trademark laws I'd replace all your use of 'IGN' to 'IGN.ie'.

(I'm not a lawer or trademark expert etc etc)

Good luck with the site, I'll add a link to it in Games Toaster's links section.

monument wrote:
    For both good branding reasons and to be on the safe side of trademark laws I'd replace all your use of 'IGN' to 'IGN.ie'.

(I'm not a lawer or trademark expert etc etc)

Good luck with the site, I'll add a link to it in Games Toaster's links section.
    'IGN' is a registered business name within Ireland which has been registered with the CRO, so i feel covered legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't think that would stop IGN if they take issue with the name.

Either way, best of luck with the site, hope it all works out.

What she said ^

Zyicon, what you're saying is like saying I'm ok using the name, for example, Eurogamer just because I can register it as a business name.

In reality however, Eurogamer (like the well known IGN in your case), are well known here and worldwide and would have a pretty good case against me.

The fact that you've registered it as a business name might actually make the (long running) IGN act to protect their trademark.

If they don't act to protect their trademark it will weaken their case if they wish to defend it in the future against you or another party or other parties.

I understand what your saying, i'll just have to wait and see if anything happens, i didnt even realise until the site was half developed that there might be issuses with ign.com, oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I'd have to agree with what's been said about your name. If you didn't have a gaming site, then you might not have much to worry about, but IGN.com can see it as competition and will definitely win any legal action they took against you.

But, I hope it goes well. It looks great so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Press start

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

ign.ie as a domain name (and as the Irish Gaming Network) is older than ign.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

join it needs more peoples!

Giblet wrote:
    ign.ie as a domain name (and as the Irish Gaming Network) is older than ign.com.
    The business name IGN was registered on 27/06/2007 with the CRO in Dublin.

If the business name and branding used was 'Ign.ie' there would likely be less of a case to answer with the US company. But the main branding used is 'IGN'.

The use of IGN.ie before now has some but little bearing as previously it was not a business name etc.

But none of this matters unless the US IGN takes a case against the Irish one.

• Advertisement

And just in case the worst happens the site is also available at www.irishgamingnetwork.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

One would imaging if your company just happened to have the acronym 'HSBC', and you started referring to your company as that it wouldn't be long before their lawyers contacted you.

I noticed a couple of spelling and grammar mistakes on the main page. Nothing too drastic though. That's not to say that my spelling or grammar is exemplary.

Good luck with the site.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I remember working on the original ign.ie - AFAIK it was around before IGN.com so they've plagarised us! :p

It's nice to see it back, good luck with it!

come on everyone join it it needs members!click my sig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

come on everyone join it it needs members!click my sig

I have no problem joining it to increase your numbers but I have no intention of setting up an email address just for it and I have no assurance of how my email address will be secured .

jonski wrote:
    I have no problem joining it to increase your numbers but I have no intention of setting up an email address just for it and I have no assurance of how my email address will be secured .

erm you need an email for this website too dont you not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

erm you need an email for this website too dont you not?

Indeed I do , but I know this email address wont be spammed by anything I don't want it to be spammed with , it's not passed on and it seems to be secure . how secure are the email address's on ign ? and will ign be sending me mails or can I opt out ?

jonski wrote:
    Indeed I do , but I know this email address wont be spammed by anything I don't want it to be spammed with , it's not passed on and it seems to be secure . how secure are the email address's on ign ? and will ign be sending me mails or can I opt out ?

hmm im not sure ill send the admin of the site a pm ill get back to you;)

ok he says that only members can view them also you can toggle whether its hiden or not only mods and the admins can view them when you do this and they ony send you a welcome i think and also its not that hard to set up a gmail account;) if you want to keep you other safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Press start

jonski wrote:

Speaking of spamming, killyoutodeath will you take a break please? You'll kill the site before it gets started.

• Advertisement

Speaking of spamming, killyoutodeath will you take a break please? You'll kill the site before it gets started.

hahaha ok:D

Advertisement