Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia 3341 Bridging to Smoothwall

Options
  • 06-09-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm tearing hair out over this.

Have netopia box, have smoothie with Red(WAN) and Green(LAN) interfaces, both Realtek 81x9 cards (100Mbit).
    Set netopia to Bridging, set red interface on smoothie to acquire address via DHCP, and to expect an ethernet connection (as opposed to Static or PPPoE).

Crimped a crossover cable with STP Cat5e, using normal RJ45 heads.
    When I plug in the cable, I get a link on the NIC and no link on the netopia...which is odd.
    Shielding really shouldn't be an issue here. Will be trying a store-bought crossover cable tomorrow just to eliminate the cable as an issue.

Does anyone know how the netopia presents it's ethernet port in bridging mode?

I used just plug my NTL modem into my smoothie and it was happy days, why should this be acting wierd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Something odd with the modem , ive bridged out a few with no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Why are you using a cross over cable? You should be using a straight though cable.

I have configured Netopia's for bridging a few times and had no real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

If your netopia is bridging your going to need to run pppoe to get running as your modem isnt doing that for you anymore (dsl is not the same as cable)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Thought Bridging implied the dsl modem in the netopia did the ethernet-PPPoE bridging. I'll fire on PPPoE so.

And I'm using a cross-over cable because I'm going from device to device, not device to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

You need to asign the Smoothwall Red interface with a static external IP address.

I have the same setup in my last job, get with the ISP what your IP range is and setup the Smoothwall with the next free one.

Normally you get 3 (on Eircom Business ) 2 usable and 1 is the broadcast, so try the next one up from the external IP of your ADSL router.

Edit:

The metopia will disable DHCP when in bridging mode, also the ethernet port with auto detect the type of cable so there is not need for a X-over cable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

SyxPak wrote:
    And I'm using a cross-over cable because I'm going from device to device, not device to switch.

The netopia is a switch.

The one I'm using only has a single RJ45 port, and when patched to a switch (which I believe doesn't do MDI/X) with a straight-through cable the link led lights up.

I'll try striaght/xover tomorrow with PPPoE set on the Smoothies red interface.

Thanks for your help :)

BOFH_139 wrote:
    You need to asign the Smoothwall Red interface with a static external IP address.

I have the same setup in my last job, get with the ISP what your IP range is and setup the Smoothwall with the next free one.

Normally you get 3 (on Eircom Business ) 2 usable and 1 is the broadcast, so try the next one up from the external IP of your ADSL router.

Edit:

The metopia will disable DHCP when in bridging mode, also the ethernet port with auto detect the type of cable so there is not need for a X-over cable.

Is the Ethernet Link LED supposed to be lit?
    Because it isn't in my case with straight or crossover.
    I remember getting a link LED on the smoothwall Red interface before, but there was no corresponding led on the netopia. Which was wierd.

Going to try setting the (newly acquired) static IP on the red interface (vim /etc/rc.d/rc.netaddress.d).

Try bringing the eth on Smoothwall down and backup with the cable connected, it can be a bit fuzzy :/

There is "finally" a version 3 out which looks a hell of a lot better....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Syxpak, I still think you may not have set up everything which needs to be set up on the DSL box.

I've dug up the guide for doing so, it mightn't hurt to check that you've got everything it describes done.

http://fae.ro/docs/netopia-nat.pdf

• Advertisement

First off, thanks for your help lads.

19:29:51 pppd pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
    19:29:51 pppd Using interface ppp0
    19:29:51 pppd Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp0
    19:30:26 pppoe Timeout waiting for PADO packets
    19:30:26 pppd Modem hangup
    19:30:26 pppd Connection terminated.
    19:30:26 pppd Using interface ppp0
    19:30:26 pppd Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp0
    19:31:01 pppoe Timeout waiting for PADO packets
    19:31:01 pppd Modem hangup
    19:31:01 pppd Connection terminated.
    19:31:01 pppd Using interface ppp0
    19:31:01 pppd Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp0
    19:31:36 pppoe Timeout waiting for PADO packets
    19:31:36 pppd Modem hangup
    19:31:36 pppd Connection terminated.
    19:31:36 pppd Using interface ppp0
    19:31:36 pppd Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp0
    19:32:11 pppoe Timeout waiting for PADO packets
    19:32:11 pppd Modem hangup
    19:32:11 pppd Connection terminated.
    19:32:11 pppd Using interface ppp0
    19:32:11 pppd Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp0
    19:32:46 pppoe Timeout waiting for PADO packets
    19:32:46 pppd Modem hangup
    19:32:46 pppd Connection terminated.
    19:32:46 pppd Using interface ppp0
    19:32:46 pppd Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp0

Netopia in PPPoe LLC/SNAP, bridging enabled, smoothie with PPPoE enabled, straight/xover cable => no connection
    Netopia in RFC1483 Bridging LLC/SNAP, bridging enabled, smoothie with PPPoE enabled, straight/xover cable => no connection
    Got my old modem out
    Dlink 504 in PPPoE LLC or RFC1483 bridged, smoothie with PPPoE enabled (eth0 1.1.1.1, ppp0 enabled, using the "connect" button on the smoothie home page) => no connection

I'm starting to suspect my eth0 NIC at this point.

I get a lit LED on the NIC when using the self-crimped crossover cable, but no LED on Router/switch/anything else
    I've tried both straight and xover.RUnning SMoothie3 (Polar). The Ajax bandwidth graphs are noiiice.

The PPPoE stuff doesn't seem to have changed.
    Anyone know if I'll have trouble doing VPN forwarding to a Windows server on the Green side? (port whatever + GRE protocol?)

I'm checking the red interface to see if it can DHCP an address from the router.

Señor Juárez - That looks alot like the Netopia guide I found on their site before.

I'm amazed that this is proving such a difficult thing to do. A faulty red NIC is looking more and more likely.

At the very least, you should plug the Netopia box into a random PC or laptop with a straight/crossover cable and see if you can get a link light at least, on that. Then at least you'll know which cable you should be using, and its one less thing to worry about.

SyxPak:

The setup should be wall socket to Netopia in bridge-mode, cable from any of the Netopia's ports to Red NIc of smoothwall.

The Netopia should have all the PPPoE settings and have your first external IP address and the Smoothwall RED should be in Static IP with the second external IP number.

The red NIC was faulty. Realtek pos, replaced with a 3Com.
    Plugged in, working.
    Red is at the default dummy 1.1.1.1 address, PPPoE is picking up the 'static' IP assigned from eircom. I've the gateway and DNS settings set to what was coming down earlier. As this is being done for a customer in an office and I'll soon be on the other side of the country, should I leave them blank in case Eircom change them later?
    PPPoE should acquire what I need yes?
    Thanks again for your help guys, been a frustrating week.

SyxPak wrote:
    As this is being done for a customer in an office and I'll soon be on the other side of the country, should I leave them blank in case Eircom change them later?
    PPPoE should acquire what I need yes?

Yeah, going with automatically assigned IP's is a far better idea, seeing as theres pretty much nothing to be gained from using static settings.

Advertisement