Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery driill query

Options
  • 06-09-2007 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Can someone give me a quick walk through of Volts and A/H. Basically i was looking at a Bosch battery drill which is 14volts with a 1:25 AH battery. This drill should be fine as its only for drilling wood and putting in screws. What I am looking for is someone to explain is the volts how long it lasts and the A/H how long it would hold a charge?. I understand the higher the number of each of these is better but wonder what part they play

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

your best bet is a de walt 18v with hammer action
    ideal for screwing and drilling the batts last about 3 hrs continuos and take an hour to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers IR but wont be used that much and is only for light DIY work. More interested in what Volts and Ah relate to

Cubix

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am no expert, but as I understand it, the volts tends to indicate the amount of 'welly' the drill has. A low voltage one is more like a screwdriver. A higher voltage one is more useful for serious drilling, some of them are even supposed to be suitable for masonry drilling and have hammer actions.

The amp hours indicates how much capacity the battery has. This is going to be important if you are driving hundreds of screws, if you are putting down plywood on floors or something. If you are just putting in a few screws here and there, now and again, it doesn't make a terrible amount of difference. Having two batteries may also be an advantage (one can charge while the other is being used).

There is nothing hard and fast about this though; one 18 volt drill might have less power than another 14.4 volt model, because of something to do with the motor. Similarly, Ah alone won't necessarily tell you how long the battery will last. A higher voltage model is going to drain a battery of the same capacity in a shorter time.

Millions will disagree with me on this one, but you can buy a perfectly adequate battery drill for light use in argos for around 40 euros. Sure, it won't last forever, but when it breaks, or more likely gets lost or 'borrowed', you will be able to smile and think about what good value it was considering the amount of use you got out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

OP; Anto is on the ball here:

As The conversion of Amps to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

so the more amps u have and the more volts u have the more power u will have.

AFAIK, the motor will be rated for a max number of amps

FYI see http://www.duracomm.com/batteryampere.htm

and http://www.powerstream.com/Amps-Watts.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers Lads;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement