Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steroids - side effects on dogs?

Options
  • 06-09-2007 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

My Westie Jack who's 2 years old was given a steroid injection last Friday when I took him to the vets - he had harvest mite bites on his feet.

He improved almost immediately but by Sunday I noticed he was limping on his front paws and a bit listless. This has gotten much worse during the week and this morning he wouldn't get out of bed which is unheard of - Jack is never one for laying about!

So I took him back to the vets and he said it was either a sprain or the start of a degenerative condition. He recommended no walks for 4 days then just 10 minute ones for 5 days. He couldn't give him any more medication on top of the steroid injection he'd had which lasts 2 weeks.

I asked him about Jack's lethargy and lack of interest in anything that's not food and he was vague, said it MAY be a side effect of the steroid.

He has the other side effects - drinking a lot more and hugely increased appetite (whines for food a lot)

Does anyone know if this lethargy is a side effect? It's horrible to watch my usually very bouncy dog just laying there all day looking depressed. If i knew it would pass I'd feel so much better.

Thanks a mil:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Steroids reduce inflamation and usually increase appetite but
    I had not heard anything about causing lethary as an effect.

Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

My border terrier x reacts the same way to high doses of steroid tablets. Listless and depressed however he improved greatly when I lowered the dose. If you're worried though I'd go for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Might get big muscles, paronioa and aggressive urges -:D

Hope he gets better..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dontdoit

To the OP, yes it is very possible the signs u describe are side-effects of the steroid. Steroids although very potent antiinflammatory agents, do come with a wide range of side-effects more often associated with long term(>2wk) treatment. Possible side effects include iatrogenic Cushing’s syndrome signs of which amongst others include polyuria and polydipsia-in lay terms increased urination and thirst. Less commonly, the gluconeogenic and insulin antagonistic effects of glucocorticoids may also precipitate the onset of diabetes mellitus or exacerbate diabetes in animals with existing disease, which could also explain the signs. Significant mood and behavioral changes may also be seen in animals, as are seen in humans recieving treatment. I think its important for me to emphasise here that corticosteroid therapy is safe and effective treatment and in the majority of cases side-effects are not seen. I do think it sounds quite likely Jack is suffering from Cushingoid symptoms so I would get him back to your vet or a 2nd opinion. The side effects of steroid therapy can be diminished by altering dosage and using an alternate-day treatment regime. Best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Yes all of those signs, including lethargy, are short term side effects of steroids. You see these kinds of side effect sometimes when cortisol is administered because the drug form of cortisol lasts longer and is far more potent than natural cortisol. Speak to your vet about this the next time you pay them a visit and if you're finding it an issue what normally happens is that a lower dose of drug is prescribed if it is needed again.

If his paws are painful from the bites, you can always bathe them in warm water with Epsom salts to relieve the symptoms too. Hopefully he won't get bitten again as the weather gets colder too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Thanks so much to everyone for that great info and reassurance - more than I got from the vet!

Jack perked up over the weekend. He's not back to his high energy levels but he's more alert and more himself, tho still lies around a lot, he doesn't seem depressed.

I suppose as the injection is to last till this coming friday it's effects are probably beginning to taper off now.

Actually, with him having the limp and not allowed walks for 4 days the lethargy worked in our favour cos otherwise he's have been doing his nut in the house. We were allowed to bring him across the road to the green to sniff and potter for a few minutes and he seemed perfectly happy with this, and the limp is much improved.

The vet gave me a new steroid spray, that has just come on the market, to use if he starts being irritated by the bites again - that way he doesnt have to ingest th steroids so less side effects. Hopefully this will do the trick if this is to be an annual thing.

Many thanks again!

Advertisement