Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transferring a English County Court Judgement to Ireland

• 06-09-2007 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm looking for some practical advice on an issue thats been plaguing me for a couple of years. Revolves around an unscrupulous landlord in Manchester who's trying to do me out of £2000 for phantom damages to her property. I'll spare you the boring details! (Its UK small claims territory)

I've prepared my defence and submitted it to the court, but the judge has decided to make a judgement without full trial. It means I'll have to travel back to the UK at my own expense, being the defendant. I'm thinking of telling them I cant make it for whatever reason.

My question is whether they could enforce the judgement in the ROI? How would they do it and what are my chances of "getting away with it". Its not something I'm trying to do, I'd rather beat them legally, but at the end of the day I have no intention of handing money over to a scumbag rip-off cartel merchant.

many thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

TheLedge wrote:
    Hi there, I'm looking for some practical advice on an issue thats been plaguing me for a couple of years. Revolves around an unscrupulous landlord in Manchester who's trying to do me out of £2000 for phantom damages to her property. I'll spare you the boring details! (Its UK small claims territory)

Seek legal advice.
    TheLedge wrote:
    I've prepared my defence and submitted it to the court, but the judge has decided to make a judgement without full trial. It means I'll have to travel back to the UK at my own expense, being the defendant. I'm thinking of telling them I cant make it for whatever reason.

Seek legal advice.
    TheLedge wrote:
    My question is whether [someone] could enforce [a judgment from the UK] in the ROI?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0052/index.html
    TheLedge wrote:
    How would they do it and what are my chances of "getting away with it". Its not something I'm trying to do, I'd rather beat them legally, but at the end of the day I have no intention of handing money over to a scumbag rip-off cartel merchant.

I really do think you should seek legal advice.

Advertisement