Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite broadband

Options
  • 06-09-2007 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been dealt with before, I've had a scan of the stickies and there doesn't seem to be anything specific dealing with it.

I know satellite broadband is more expensive, but does anyone know of one which is reasonably priced with decent coverage for the Clare area? Had a look at Digiweb and that's well over the odds at 99euro. The website for some other crowd called mediasat doesn't work properly.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are basically two kinds of satellite system:
    1) Dial up + satellite Tv card in PC for downloads. This is nearly as expensive as real broadband plus added expense of phone connection all the time. Not always on as it's dialup. Can work out more expensive than (2).

2) Two Way always on Satellite. No phone line needed. Standalone modem that can feed a WiFi point or computer via ethernet. This is what Digiweb offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Satellite broadband won't be great for interactive things though, the trip between the ground , satellite , ground and the rest takes a little time. Some sellers claim to be using Physics2.0 but it'll be a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, I see pings of about 770ms on Satellite

Compare pings to local gateways/servers
    Metro: < 30ms
    3G/HSDPA: 170ms to 360ms (3, O2, Vodaphone)
    Ripwave: 40ms to staggering 1792ms
    DSL: < 30ms
    Cable: < 30 ms
    Flash-OFDM Mobile: < 30ms (Digiweb)
    300bps IP over X.25 Packet Radio: 2100ms

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Doesn't Digiweb satellite cost like a 1400 to install.
    Plus some packages cost like 200 a month.
    Sound way, way too much
    http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_satellite_pricing.asp?i=3&i2=6&i6=29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bushy... wrote:
    Satellite broadband won't be great for interactive things though, the trip between the ground , satellite , ground and the rest takes a little time. Some sellers claim to be using Physics2.0 but it'll be a while yet.

Hey, that's my rant and I have copyright on it!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CheckerResponse

Hi there,

Read the discussion about satellite broadband, if you cant get a connection other than paying out for 2-way satellite.

We recently stated the role out skydsl's one way VSAT system to rural ireland, you get 2mb download with 500Mb cap for €9.90 month. We do the installs nationwide. The whole experience for us is a success.

we put up a url for it <SNIP>

If it's of use to anyone let us know.

It's a solution and it works everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

The basic option has a rediculous cap (3GB)
    The only realistic option is the Basic Service & Flat rate.

The big problem is that you need a phone line and dialup isp to send out requests. So realistically the cost of this per month is

line rental: €25
    sky dsl: €30
    data calls to isp: €20 - €100 (depends on how long you spend online)

Total: €75+ (at the very cheapest)
    for a very mediocre 2Mb (not MB) with lousy pings and god knows what contention, not to mention weather/atmospheric conditions

Hi there,

Read the discussion about satellite broadband, if you cant get a connection other than paying out for 2-way satellite.

We recently stated the role out skydsl's one way VSAT system to rural ireland, you get 2mb download with 500Mb cap for €9.90 month. We do the installs nationwide. The whole experience for us is a success.

we put up a url for it <SNIP>

If it's of use to anyone let us know.

It's a solution and it works everywhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CheckerResponse, boards is not a medium to advertise your business unless you want to buy advert space on the site

also your product discription is misleading

Advertisement