Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible to hide IP address?

Options
  • 06-09-2007 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Is it possible to tell from an email which country the person is writing from ? Is there a site where you can enter the IP address to know this? If so, I need to find a way that makes it impossible for someone to tell which country I'm writing from (don't ask why... it's complicated ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

lola_run wrote:
    Is it possible to tell from an email which country the person is writing from ?
    You can tell where it came from , look at the header.
    lola_run wrote:
    Is there a site where you can enter the IP address to know this?
    Any " whois" site will give you an idea. ( google for whois )
    lola_run wrote:
    If so, I need to find a way that makes it impossible for someone to tell which country I'm writing from (don't ask why... it's complicated ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

On itself an IP address can not completely show where you are. But most of the cases, only a small IP range is allocated to an ISP and the ISP will be limited to a specific region.

That's why there are sites that "guesstimate" where your IP address is coming from, look for instance at http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

Normally it's frightfully effective.

That said, it is possible to surf anonymously by using something like http://tor.eff.org/

This is the so called Onion Router. What it means is that your connection passes a random cluster of computers before finally hitting your final destination, thereby obfuscating your IP address.

So what do you need to do:
    - Install TOR client and connect to a TOR server.
    - Open a hotmail account with false or minimal credentials (when you are using TOR) Or any open mail server will do.
    - Write an email.

The receiver can see from which mail server the mail came from but nobody can trace the individual who wrote it.

Everytime you check the mail box, make sure you are using TOR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

On a similiar tack:
    Using XP professional on two internet connected pc's, it is possible to remote access one from the other.

I presume that sending email from the remotely accessed machine will use the remotely accessed IP address, and that the ISP history will be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

lola_run wrote:
    Is it possible to tell from an email which country the person is writing from ? Is there a site where you can enter the IP address to know this?

yes it is..http://www.ip-adress.com/

never used Tor but I imagine as w cool suggests that it will hide where you are quite well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

It depends.

If I send you an email, it will be sent from my mail server at home.

You have no way of knowing whether I am writing the email in Japan or Ireland or on the moon as the email will, in all cases, be sent from my server at home.

If I sent you an email from my GMail account, www.ip-address.com will tell you it originated in the US.

Of course, if the authorities wanted the information and Google co-operated with them, they'd might be able to establish where I connected from.

The average Joe User won't have access to the kind of information that the authorities will. So the steps that you should take to hide your tracks will depend on who you're trying to hide this information from and how paranoid you are.

Regards,

Liam

• Advertisement
Advertisement