Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Beginner needing advice

Options
  • 06-09-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i can confidently skate, i've skimboarded alot, can pull a few tricks and i've recently tried surfing. i could stand up a few times but i wasn't great. i want to buy my first board and im 6 foot. im thinkin of getting a 6 foot 7 inch shortboard to start on. what do you think? some people have told me to buy an over 7 foot mini mal as its easier to learn on. but i am a fast learner and maybe a 6' 7 " would do me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭bush doctor

Go with at least a 7 footer, maybe 7'4''. You'll learn a lot faster and be riding waves a lot sooner.

Better off learning on a longer board and then moving down rather than mucking about on a shortboard first off.

You won't look like Mick Fanning to start off with but you'll be heading in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skater

thanks very much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 cjs_surf

skater wrote:
    i can confidently skate, i've skimboarded alot, can pull a few tricks and i've recently tried surfing. i could stand up a few times but i wasn't great. i want to buy my first board and im 6 foot. im thinkin of getting a 6 foot 7 inch shortboard to start on. what do you think? some people have told me to buy an over 7 foot mini mal as its easier to learn on. but i am a fast learner and maybe a 6' 7 " would do me.

Ideal beginners board is 18 inches tall than you and wider than a standard shot board 21 or 22 inches isn't bad. Most short boards are 18 to 19 inches wide than makes them very had to pop up on starting out as they aren't that stable, rock a lot.

Depending on how old/fit you are and how often you'll get out you might get away with some thing shorter but you'll be making it harder to learn on. | 7ft to 7'6 21 inch wide with a fairly pointed nose wouldn't be a bad compromise, the pointed nose make it easier to duck dive under a wave paddling out.

Google a few beginner guides and see what you think.

If it were me I'd go for something along the lines of a bic 7'9 as once you've mastered the basics you'll easily sell it for most of what you paid

Advertisement