Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Markup for importers and retailers

Options
  • 06-09-2007 11:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey All,
    I've found a product i'd like to import and try and resell. (only at the thinking stage right now)
    I know how much each unit would cost me and the average market value of such a product. Mine is a variation of current product and i think would sell well.
    I can buy the product for a 1/3 of what I think is a good selling price compared to whats on the market. Is this Good?

What pecentage of the remainder could i hope for? And how much for the retailer?

New to the business world so, anything I've missed?

Thanks in advance

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aman

It may depend on the type of product & the type of retailer you are going to put it into.
    Also you say you can buy the product for approx 1/3 of the retail price, but have you taken the costs of importation into account. You have to consider possibly the following : shipping costs, import duty (if importing from outside the EU), VAT. Is it such a good deal when these are taken into consideration?
    Do you require certification that it complies to Irish standards (for e.g. an electrical product)?
    There are a lot of hidden pitfalls in importation - just make sure you research it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

It does of course depend on the product but the general markup accross europe for products is a selling prices of 2.5 times gross cost.

So (wholesale Price + delivery + any damage losses + depreciation + storage/keep costs or unsellable product costs) * 2 then add VAT.

This will work out at 2.5 times wholesale for most products. A lower margin is acceptable in high product turnover situations which can be anything as low as 1.7 for certain food stuffs or as high as 5 time for items that dont shift like expensive handbags.

This dosnt take into ccount discounting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Oh I dont know the markup for wholesalers as I have never been one. It has to be alot less than a retailer as the cost base in far lower.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Thanks, alot to think about, I never taught about Irish standards. Don't see it as an issue but it needs to be checked out.

Advertisement