Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route66 Chicago in Halfords

Options
  • 07-09-2007 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Was in Halfords today, and saw that they are selling a Route66 Chicago 6000 for 199. Seemed like a good price and the unit looks nice.

Googled for review's and they seem mediocre. The main complaint seems to be the route66 interface, not with the hardware itself. (perhaps that's a common problem then with route 66 software?)

As a sweetner, they had an offer to update to the 2008 maps when they are released.
    Unfortunately I checled the Route66 website, which says that offer expired at end July. I mailled them (route 66) enquiring if it was extended, but don't hold out much hope.

Even without the map update, it seems like a good price, and almost worth an impulse buy.

Anyone any experience with this? Good or Bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Yup, I sell them and find taxi drivers love them for some reason. The interface isn't fantastic but the actual navigation system is great. The 2008 update offer is indeed gone but you might be lucky with the email you sent. Although they are on Navteq V7 (I think) they seem to find streets that TomToms and Garmin's wont. The engine for searching doesn't rely on the town or city like garmins do and this makes it much easier for putting in a street. For 199 its an unreal price, they started at somehting like 399 when they came in after xmas so you would be catching yourself a good bargain. So yes. It is worth the impulse buy.

BUT, remember that halfords also have the garmin nuvi 200 for 229.99 at the mo which is a fantastic price for the unit. The 250 (includes europe) is 269.99 if you were looking for europe. All in all you can't go wrong at the moment with buying a satnav as long as it's not a teleatlas tomtom system!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Thanks for the info. I think that even without the free map updates, it's still a good price. Review's are fairly thin on the ground. It must have something going for it though, if the taxi men love it...

Advertisement