Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good Ruby Primer

Options
  • 07-09-2007 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting into Ruby (not Ruby on Rails - just plain Ruby) so I figure a good primer might be in order.

To be honest I'm looking for something a lot like Dive Into Python (www.diveintopython.org). In other words it'd be useful to have something that:
    1/ Assumes previous programming experience, so it doesn't get too bogged down in details about what a variable or function is.
    2/ Shows the cool things of Ruby up front
    3/ Highlights Ruby's core philosophies (i.e. Dive Into Python tried to do things in a "pythonic" way) - I figure there's no use in learning it if I'm just going to treat it like python or perl.
    4/ Is preferably free... (not a big one)

So, does anyone have any recommendations - i.e. I'm not looking for a load of google links, I'm looking for what people reckon are good ones that don't assume the reader is a newbie to programming in general, and also don't read like just a load of APIs. To be honest, most of the links to docs from the Ruby page tend to either read like newbie pages, APIs, or are links to amazon.

So can anyone help?

Aoife

Comments

Advertisement