Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

A discussion on album covers and artwork.

• 07-09-2007 6:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

It's apparent that in Rock and Metal, vivid and striking album covers are something most bands aim for, and quite a lot of them succeed at, so it might make an interesting discussion. I'm not all that sure of many other genres of music that employ such fantastic artwork for album covers, and I often find that a lot of other genres will just have a picture of the artist on the cover.

One album cover that I think truly stood the test of time, is ELP's Brain Salad Surgery, as done by H.R. Giger:

elp-bssurgery.jpg

A more modern album cover that I absolutely love is Gojira's From Mars To Sirius:

gojiramarssirius.jpg

I don't know the artist, but I think the imagery is fantastic, and really sets the mental landscapes conjured up by Gojira's immense music. It's not a very typical album cover either, which adds to why I love it so much.

So, thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I'm not all that sure of many other genres of music that employ such fantastic artwork for album covers

Off the top of my head dance/electronic competes with rock/metal for use of imagination in album artwork.Its not been around as long but for the time it has some great artwork has been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson is a great cover

AS for Brain Salad surgery I always thought the lp cover and the way it all opened up was a bit fussy and it got tatty over time, depite the excellent artwork. My favourite ELP cover is Tarkus

a mention must go to Pink Floyd who use Hypgnosis to design their covers.

And just for the hell of it, the guy who decided to use the (I think its Breughals) Triumph of Death for Black Sabbaths greatest hits was inspired.

Double albums and Gatefolds have also served me well over the years too, ahem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

padi89 wrote:
    Off the top of my head dance/electronic

Show us some then!

Here's some ones I like

gealtacht_mael_mordha.jpg

ghost_front.gif

mastodon.jpg

cover-chaos-big.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

Another few deadly ones:

apd.jpg

orgasmatron.jpg

overkill.jpg

PanteraVulgarDisplayofPower.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I've always liked Morbid Angels Gateways to Annhilation album cover. I'm hardpressed to think of another one that stood out for me, I'll come back later ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Zeppelin for pretty much all of their covers, except the song remains, particularly 3 (the rotating disc is called a volvelle I've just discovered)
    600px-Ledzeppeliniii.jpg

The brilliant but pain in the arse to put back together without damaging award has to go to Hawkwind - Space Ritual
    Space%20Ritual%20front.jpg

and Krautrock albums tended to have interesting covers such as
    [TagoMago.jpg
    Amon-Duul-Yeti-315940.jpg
    Zeit_1972.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Amon Duul II Yeti album cover is class, The mennacing grim reaper guy in the picture is supposedly a bongo player from the original Amon Duul Commune called Shrat, but then I found this from Falk U. Rogner who was responsible for the Düül artwork between 1969 and 73. Here's the story in his own words:

"For the Yeti cover I used an image of Der Sensenmann[The Grim Reaper], who is often depicted in old German woodcuts," he says. "At first I didn't intend to use this photo for the cover. I had been taking some photos with a member of the Amon Düül I commune called Wolfgang Krischke who was the sound man for Amon Düül. Some months later he was found frozen to death near his parents' house; they said he had taken some acid and fell asleep in the snow. He was a very good friend to Renate and me and an outsider member of the Amon Düül scene. When he died I thought that the photo would be a perfect tribute to his memory. He never managed to find his way into Amon Düül properly when he was alive, so maybe his image as Der Sensenmann will work as a strange cover image and he could be remembered as a magical person."

Also here are my covers from my earlier post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

nonamemark wrote:
    Show us some then!

Ok,sorry they are a bit big.

Leftfield.jpg
    41F47NE46NL._SS500_.jpg
    51S1M1XHFDL._SS500_.jpg
    3143HBJES2L._SS500_.jpg
    61-725j7uFL._SS500_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Y'know, I'm a big fan of the album cover for Opeth's Orchid, the minimalism of it is beautiful. Others I like would be Mastodon's Leviathan and I'll second From Mars to Sirius. It's just a bit mad. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Mastodon_-_Blood_Mountain.JPG
    375x375
    Two brilliant pieces of artwork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

It's a real shame I can't find the artwork online but Ten Past Seven's "Shut Up Your Face" album has brilliant covers. Yes, covers - There are about 4 different covers that you can choose from, and one is reflective material with parts of 3 of the other covers on it. Very very well done. If I remember I'll scan them all tomorrow.

Tool's Lateralus has brilliant artwork though it's a pity you can't see the way it's actually done here, with most of the images being on different (translucent) sheets to give a sort of 3D impression:

lateralus.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I loved Sepultura's Arise when I saw it first. I used to have a big poster of it until I moved out and my mother "accidentally" threw it out :(

sepulturaarisepe3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

They are arguably the kings of album artwork...theres 13+ great ones plus singles....my favourite is run to the hills

63818.jpg

And some of the albums

Death on the Road

ironmaiden_death.jpg

Powerslave

Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

Live after Death

9979.jpg

Also most of Thin Lizzy's

Black Rose for example

blackrose.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

yevveh wrote:
    Tool's Lateralus has brilliant artwork though it's a pity you can't see the way it's actually done here, with most of the images being on different (translucent) sheets to give a sort of 3D impression:

lateralus.jpg

Thats a great cover, reminded me of one of my all time favourites The Incredible String Bands 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion from 1967
    lepspspisb5k1.jpg
    Great band pity bout the scientology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

ADVANCE WARNING: Some of these pics are pretty huge, so those of you with lowspeed connections have been forewarned.

I won't post the covers for obvious reasons but the early Carcass covers are certainly memorable ones.

There's something iconic about Deicide's self-titled release:
    deicide.jpg

The cleanliness of the design of Ruun by Enslaved is fantastic too:
    enslaved_ruun.jpg

The cinematic effect that Zyklon went for with the Aeon cover really strikes a chord with me as well, especially since it complements the soundtrack-like ambience (or lack thereof) in their music:
    01-zyklon.jpg

Anything involving Sunn O))) (or Stephen O' Malley) generally has awesome artwork, for example the cover of Altar (with Boris):
    altar-tree.jpg

Also, I have to put a word in for one of my favourite bands, Anata:
    ANATA-TCD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Ugh, I absolutely despise artwork like Iron Maiden's and Mastodon's etc. It's something a 12 year old would love.

I do love Lateralus' artwork, it's fantastic. Also, RAGE - RAGE is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Timans wrote:
    Ugh, I absolutely despise artwork like Iron Maiden's and Mastodon's etc. It's something a 12 year old would love.

I do love Lateralus' artwork, it's fantastic. Also, RAGE - RAGE is good.

Let's be fair now, the artwork is absolutely nothing alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The ones I like are almost fantasy related, or are ones which almost tell a story

Epica - The Score

pochette_score.jpg

Elis - Griefshire

Nightwish - End of an Era

end_of_an_era_300dvd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

Here's a few favourites off the top of my head

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Blind Guardian, Imaginations from the other side
    iftos_cover1.jpg

Iced Earth, Something Wicked this way comes
    iced_earth_something_wicked_this_way_comes_a.jpg

Sonata Arctica, Reckoning Night
    reckoningnight_big.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Pearl Jam - Binaural
    B00004T8RK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pearl Jam - Riot Act
    B00006M183.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Alice In Chains - Dirt
    dirt.jpg

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
    B000002GK1.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

And I love the art style that has consistently featured on all of KMFDMs albums:
    41QYNZWKFAL._AA240_.jpg
    kmfdm_attack_frontcover.jpg
    cover293_10218.jpg
    61PRRQQ924L._AA240_.jpg

That Gojira cover is pretty cool Karl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

terria.jpg
    Love this one, and it captures the mood of the album perfectly too.

pt.jpg
    Lovely image

in_absentia.jpg
    Great cover straight off, even better when you know the concept behind the album

B00005Q6OS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    Post-rock spurts out some great album covers, this one is my fave.

Muse_4.gif
    Love this one too

And to save one of my absolute favorites for last:
    63_The%20Mars%20Volta_Frances%20the%20Mute.jpg

I'll stop now because I could easily sit here all night posting them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Iron Maiden?! Jesus, some cheesy album artwork in here.
    Warning: Huge album cover below!

Thrice - Vheissu
    thrice(front).jpg

Circa Survive - Juturna (Artwork by Esao Andrews)
    EVR103-Juturna.jpg

18.jpg

TREOS - Between The Heart And The Synapse
    67466804_l.jpg

Just a couple of ones I like. The artwork inside is even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

In terms of Mars Volta coverwork, I much prefer Deloused
    deloused2.jpg

Another one of my favourite covers is punk band Sick of It All's Life on the Ropes
    B0000B1A54.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Or Yeah Yeah Yeah's Fever to Tell
    61DmN%2B8iVoL._SS500_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sepultura's Dante XXI is one right off the top of my head:

news3.jpg

The inside artwork is fantastic but I don't have any images..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Anything involving Sunn O))) (or Stephen O' Malley) generally has awesome artwork...

He actually designs covers for other bands and stuff, doesn't he? He has a website for his graphic design business I think.

I agree Tool often have wonderful artwork, the layered booklet off Lateralus is wonderful, or the stereoscopic goggles and 3D pictures in 10,000 days. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ThousandLeaves

Find most of the fantasy themed ones to be a little cheesy myself, with a few exceptions of course.

Surprised that no one has mentioned that Absolution by Muse and the two Mars Volta albums were designed by Storm Thorgerson, who also did a pile for Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel etc etc.

Always been a big fan of Raymond Pettibon's covers for Black Flag/Minutemen etc.

eg.
    s2139.jpg

s2138.jpg

s83069.jpg

EDIT: Wow, tiny pictures, I'll try & sort that out.
    And there's a list of Storm Thorgerson covers on his Wikipedia, lot of good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I'm a big fan of a lot of Ed Repka's artwork. I really like the whole cartoony/gorey style.

Megadeth - Hangar 18
    Repka_Megadeth_hangar18.jpg

Nuclear Assault - Game Over
    nuclearassault1.jpg

Death - Spiritual Healing
    c4276765l40.jpg

Municipal Waste - Hazardous Mutation
    mosh323.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A few favourites: :)-

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Disraeligears.jpg