Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Big is a Quasar

Options
  • 07-09-2007 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this on APOD yesterday & it got me thinking...

How big or bright must a quasar be for it to be visible at 12.7 billion light years? Apart from a couple of foreground stars every other object in the pic is a galaxy. Do quasars emit a galactic amount of light?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

quasars are a galaxy!, they are an active galactic nucleus, with large amounts of matter orbiting and being consumed by a massive black hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

The other site seems to suggest that Quasars consume Galaxies, so that'd be a lot of energy then

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Silly me - I should have done a bit more research first.

According to Wikipedia - they can be as small as a few light hours - based on changes in luminosity.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Quasars are found to vary in luminosity on a variety of time scales. Some vary in brightness every few months, weeks, days, or hours. This evidence has allowed scientists to theorize that quasars generate and emit their energy from a very small region, since each part of the quasar would have to be in contact with other parts on such a time scale to coordinate the luminosity variations. As such, a quasar varying on the time scale of a few weeks cannot be larger than a few light-weeks across.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Quazars are not as much about size as they are brightness i mean a quazar that is a unimaginable distance away can shine brighter than alpha centurai which is our closest star

Advertisement