Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points

Options
  • 07-09-2007 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey all, I don't know if this has been discussed before, if it has, please point me in the right direction. I received 2 penalty points and a fine yesterday for a car I sold 2 months ago. I'm in the car trade and I sold the car to another guy in the trade, who subsequently sold it on again. I never gave the trader the tax book, so the car is still in my name.
    I rang the garda "helpline" and I was told I have to get a letter signed by a solicitor saying that I no longer own the vehicle, then bring this to my tax office and fill out a change of ownership form.
    My question is, do I have to go to a solicitor and probably fork out €200, or is there a cheaper option.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You're in the car trade, the car has been sold twice in the last 2 months and you still haven't done the paperwork?
    You deserve everything you get mate.:mad:

I presume you have a receipt / delivery note to say that you shipped the car 2 months ago, just produce that and youre fine (unless you never sorted that out either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

It doesnt look like you are a trader.How can the car be sold 2 times in 2 months with no tax book.You must be a really organised dealer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

The car was my wife's personal car, I've had it for around a year, I sold it to a trader for cash (no receipt), he then retailed the car. Technically, it's up to him to get the tax book for the customer, it's like an un-written rule in the trade.
    The topic is not called "hey I did this, what do you think of me". Keep your opinions to yourselves unless it's relevant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Now now, don't get upset.
    I did offer you advice - you need proof of sale - I presume your dealer mate can provide this along with new owners details.

There are many members here who have been "had" by cowboy dealers in the past and TBH you're not painting a good picture of yourself as someone "in the trade" doing a deal that smells of saddles.

Until the COO form is filled out, you are legally responsible for tickets / fines / etc.. the onus is on you to provide proof that you didn't commit the offence.
    AFAIK there's provision for this on the penalty points letter (don't know, never had one).

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I presume when the say solicitor they mean a solicitor or Commissioner for Oaths.
    The standard charge for witnessing the swearing of an oath is €10. the last time i did one in relation to a car the solicitor did no charge me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

this has happened time and time again. When you sell your car to another, be it private sale or to a garage always register it to that buyer and send it away yourself. I don't care if the buyer is the pope or bertie, just do it. saves a lot of hassle when the fines come in the door.

just to prove a point. A case where a car had no tax disc displayed. the car had to be traced through three different owners before the real owner was found. Absolutely ridiculous.

The same system as in the UK should be brought in here. For one it will catch out those who don't pay road tax. the system could pay for itself.

Advertisement