Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Football This Weekend.

• 07-09-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Friday, 7th September 2007
    Eircom Premier League

Derry City vs. St. Patrick's Athletic
    Live on TG4
    Galway United vs. Drogheda United
    Waterford United vs. Bray Wanderers
    Longford Town vs. Sligo Rovers
    Cork Vs UCD (Monday)

Eircom League First Division:

Limerick 37 vs. Monaghan United
    Finn Harps vs. Kilkenny City
    Wexford Youths vs. Shelbourne
    Cobh Ramblers vs. Athlone Town
    Kildare County vs. Dundalk

As a gambling man, i'm tempted to take on Pats tonight due to the fact that they can't really go up to Derry and settle for a draw. They have to go for the win. They've also been on a poor run of late (Hammered Waterford last week but the blues are pretty rubbish in fairness), Pats recent away for has been pants as well losing 5 and drawing 2 of their last 7. Derry are on a decent run(unbeaten in 6) and I reckon they can put the final nail in Pats title hopes.

Dundalk are in a similar situation to Pats in that the have to go away and they have to get a win.(although the need for a win isn't quite as great as for Pats). They play Kildare and the way they're playing I'd be surprised if they managed to grab all 3 points. Without Williams the wheels have come off Dundalks title hopes, the sooner hes back the better. Reckon this will end up a draw.

In the other games, Cobh should beat Athlone, Wexford may be good enough to get a draw with the new and improved Shels and Cobh and Harps should win easily. Will be cheering on Galway against the Drogs too but that ones got draw written all over it. Although with both Stuart Byrne and Shane Robinson missing Galway may just nick it.

PS: KdjaCL, I see Fahy is missing for your boys tonight, is that a big loss?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pighead wrote:
    Wexford may be good enough to get a draw with the new and improved Shels
    You seem to be missing some vital information here my friend.

James Chambers (our bestest player) and Mark O'Brien (MOTM in the 4-0 v L37 last weekend) are both out of this game through suspension. That's 2 out of four of our regular starting midfield.

Also, Rooney is out injured. Who is another starter on the wing. With three quarters of our midfield out, we;ll struggle. The players to come in there simply aren't up to it, imo. As one of them, Kieran Harte, who is decent, will be at a wedding.

We won't win tonight. Get on Wexford Young Boys at 3/1 if you are gambling this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think we'll sneak it regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hoping we can get a win tonight, and tbh expecting it!

A lot of interesting games over the w/e and from a gambling pov, a few toughies. Harps would seem to be a banker, and I'd expect Drogheda to atone for their complete and utter **** up at home to Galway a couple of weeks ago!

DSB wrote:
    I think we'll sneak it regardless.
    Zebra3 wrote:
    Hoping we can get a win tonight, and tbh expecting it!

How?

What team in the world can lose three quarters of it's midfield and expect to win?

Not even ManYoo can, look at how bad they've been these past few weeks.

The players we have to come in just aren't up to it, imo.

If he moves Murphy into the middle with JC, then we'll struggle in the defence.

I can't see it tbh.

You were posting at the same time as me and I hadn't read the team news. Not so confident now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DesF wrote:

James Chambers (our bestest player) and Mark O'Brien (MOTM in the 4-0 v L37 last weekend) are both out of this game through suspension. That's 2 out of four of our regular starting midfield.

Also, Rooney is out injured. Who is another starter on the wing. With three quarters of our midfield out, we;ll struggle. The players to come in there simply aren't up to it, imo. As one of them, Kieran Harte, who is decent, will be at a wedding.

We won't win tonight. Get on Wexford Young Boys at 3/1 if you are gambling this evening.
    Cracking info DesF, elevenaside or irishfootballonline didn't mention Chambers was out. Useless piece of crap website! Not gonna go with Wexford to win outright but shall definitely take them(+1) @4/5. Cheers.

Pighead wrote:
    Cracking info DesF
    Well I can hardly take credit for something that's been on the Shels website since yesterday.

Pighead wrote:
    Not gonna go with Wexford to win outright but shall definitely take them(+1) @4/5. Cheers.
    I'm not the gambling type, but what does that mean?

DesF wrote:
    Well I can hardly take credit for something that's been on the Shels website since yesterday.
    Why not? I would have. And I would have claimed I heard it from a souce. Pighead loves making himself sound more important than he really is.

Bet of the weekend is Finn Harps HT-FT V Kilkenny, double your money with one simple bet! This betting larks too damn easy.

DesF wrote:
    I'm not the gambling type, but what does that mean?
    Just means that Wexford get a goal start. So if it ends in a draw I'll still win my bet. If its 1-1, it becomes 2-1 to Wexford and thus the bets a winner.

4/5 is just the odds. Put on 5 to win 4(you probably knew that bit)

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote:
    Just means that Wexford get a goal start. So if it ends in a draw I'll still win my bet. If its 1-1, it becomes 2-1 to Wexford and thus the bets a winner.
    Wow, I'd definitely take that.

Cheers.

OK, I've just been informed, by a source:p , that Chambers is not, in fact, suspended for this game.

Still though, we won't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Where are you getting that evs on Harps HT FT?

My bet is Derry & Sligo to win. Almost 5/1 the double on Sboilsports.

Aside from the betting Im interested to see how Drogs get on in Galway. They are stuttering at the moment and Galway seem have turned thing around with that home win under their belt.

Waterford vs Bray is another huge game. Bray have the players to punish Waterford on the break and I think they can get a good win at the RSC.

Waterford vs Bray is another huge game. Bray have the players to punish Waterford on the break and I think they can get a good win at the RSC.
    Yeah, if Bray play the way they did against City recently they should be too strong for Waherfurh.

That and the blues are in freefall at the minute, actually, they are just plain shíte.

If Longford can better Waterford's result they'll jump above them in the league too. Big weekend at the bottom.

What the hell happened to Derry this season though? Runners up on Goal Difference last time, and now languishing in 7th, eighteen points off the top? Their fax machine must have been working this season.

Where are you getting that evs on Harps HT FT?
    QUOTE]
    Paddy Power, its 10/11. Just a shade under evens.

DesF wrote:
    Yeah, if Bray play the way they did against City recently they should be too strong for Waherfurh.

That and the blues are in freefall at the minute, actually, they are just plain shíte.

If Longford can better Waterford's result they'll jump above them in the league too. Big weekend at the bottom.

What the hell happened to Derry this season though? Runners up on Goal Difference last time, and now languishing in 7th, eighteen points off the top? Their fax machine must have been working this season.

Bad Start, new system under Fenlon, changing managers in the middle of the season, lack of a regular goalscorer...to name a few.

But I think Robertson has turned it around. Unbeaten in 7 and Ciaran Martyn is scoring from midfield. Sammy Morrow looks decent and Ken Oman has turned into the best centre back in the league this season.

Ken Oman has turned into the best centre back in the league this season.
    Since he's come on the scene I've thought he was brilliant actually.

I would have loved him to be a Shelactico back in the day.

But he always seemed kind of timid or shy, see him now and hes organising all around him.

Playing with natural leaders like Darren Kelly & Peter Hutton has really helped him and he has come out of his shell as a result.

We did an interview with him for the website after a game last season. They had beaten us.

Timid and shy are not two words I would use to describe Ken Oman on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pighead wrote:
    PS: KdjaCL, I see Fahy is missing for your boys tonight, is that a big loss?

Nope he plays wide right now that Keane and Ndo are fit, If keane and Ndo play we will score goals, if Paisley plays we will concede.

Fancy a win if Keane and Ndo start.

kdjac

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    OK, I've just been informed, by a source:p , that Chambers is not, in fact, suspended for this game.

Still though, we won't win.
    Hmm.

He seemingly was suspended.

No Chambers.

Definite loss for Shels this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You reckon Des? Odds on Wexford are pretty big! 4/1! Worth a punt?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You reckon Des? Odds on Wexford are pretty big! 4/1! Worth a punt?
    My jaysis, there was some mix up all week with Shels.

Everyone thought Chambers was suspended, turns outhe's not.

He's on the bench tonight, because he wasn't 'mentally ready' to start. Who sai there's no prima donnas in the eL?

Anyway Mark, yeah, it's 1-1 now having been one down.

I reckon The Young Boys be too strong second half.

Are you home by the way? If you are, are you coming back to the team?

DesF wrote:
    Are you home by the way? If you are, are you coming back to the team?

Yeah just got home last week, I'll definitely be coming back to the team sooner or later, but have a couple of things to get sorted first (a job being high on the list!). I'm nowhere near the level of (un)fitness I was at though, those Aussie beers, I tell ya! Neil is still over there, don't expect him back any time soon...

Anyway, Betfair went down between 7 and 8 so didn't put any bets on!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    those Aussie beers, I tell ya!
    Carlton Draft I hope. None of that VB shíte.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Neil is still over there, don't expect him back any time soon...
    Cool. Is he playing ball?

DesF wrote:
    Carlton Draft I hope. None of that VB shíte.

Carlton Draft, Carlton Cold, Twoheys New, Twoheys Extra Dry, Jager, bottles of Jack and Coke...
    DesF wrote:
    Cool. Is he playing ball?

Yeah he's playing for a side in Hamersley, 15mins north of Perth.

:o:o

Shels take a late lead in the second half.

Chambers.

lol

Count yourself lucky bossman! I'll listen to Pighead in future!

DesF wrote:
    I'm not the gambling type
    Thank Christ.

I must stop being so negative.:D

• Advertisement

We lost not sure how but we did lose to a OG from a Derry team that somehow beat Gothernburg but could barley get 3 men out of their own half.

We play football therefore we should win does not work in the EL. :(

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Chuffed at the Shels result tonight. We didn't play great, but it is those wins which are sometimes the most important.

DesF wrote:

You lied to me Des. Do you work for Paddy Power? Was this an elaborate plot to part Pighead and his money?:)

If you'd come back and read the thread a bit later, you would have seen I rectified my mistake.

I can't believe we won anyway.

Haverty came on as a sub, so far hes the best player to play for Shels this year :p

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Haverty came on as a sub, so far hes the best player to play for Shels this year :p
    Hilarious I'm sure.

Collins, McColloch and that boy Chambers are the three best players in the First Division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

DesF wrote:
    Hilarious I'm sure.

Collins, McColloch and that boy Chambers are the three best players in the First Division.

I would add Robbie Farrell from Monaghan to that. IMHO.

ciaran76 wrote:
    I would add Robbie Farrell from Monaghan to that. IMHO.

But I wasn't doing a Top 4 list, I was doing a Top 3:D

Anyway, if I was doing a Top 4, I'd have added Jim Crawford instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

DesF wrote:
    But I wasn't doing a Top 4 list, I was doing a Top 3:D

Anyway, if I was doing a Top 4, I'd have added Jim Crawford instead.

Thats cos your bias but as Bohs fan I know I am right !!!:D ;)

Even as a Shels fan I'm sure Gethins warrants a place in the top... eh... five???

Dundalk lost in Newbridge! :eek:

We're playing Kildare twice in the next two weeks......

• Advertisement
Advertisement