Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

russia vs everyone else!!

• 07-09-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

So what do ye think about 4 RAF Tornado jets intercepting eight Russian military aircraft which were approaching British airspace, sounds like Putlin streching his msucles to see what he can get away with!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If Russia wish to declare war on the UK, they have my full support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I am so hungover it's not even funny - thats what I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Maybe the Russian's sat nav was fúcked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Jigsaw wrote:
    Maybe the Russian's sat nav was fúcked

In Soviet Russia, Space Station abandons u!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I seriously doubt Russia would start WW3 any time soon.

UK is a part of the EU and an unprevoked attack would mean everyone else in Europe is oblidged to go to war. Plus the UK is great pals with the US, that would mean 2 superior superpowers attacking 1.

If anything you don't know what goes on behind closed doors. For all we know Putin and Brown ochistrated this to reinforce the theory that large military forces are needed and the budget spent is justified. A guess of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Yeah just like last time:

"Vasili! The sat nav Bsod'd!"
    "Crap, jettison that missile so and we'll pull in and have a look"

Damn sneaky russians. I still love them though, they're our last hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Steez wrote:
    Yeah just like last time:

"Vasili! The sat nav Bsod'd!"
    "Crap, jettison that missile so and we'll pull in and have a look"

Damn sneaky russians. I still love them though, they're our last hope!
    There is another.

Quick, distract everyone from the mess in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

layke wrote:
    If anything you don't know what goes on behind closed doors. For all we know Putin and Brown ochistrated this to reinforce the theory that large military forces are needed and the budget spent is justified. A guess of course.

This could be very close to the truth!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

this kind of thing happens alot seemingly but you dont hear about it half the time. Flexin muscles ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

So what do ye think about 4 RAF Tornado jets intercepting eight Russian military aircraft which were approaching British airspace, sounds like Putlin streching his msucles to see what he can get away with!

Putlin? Doesn't he run those holiday camps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭KilbarrackBlows

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/21/AR2007082101145.html

British Jets Shadow Russian Plane

By THOMAS WAGNER
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007; 3:05 PM

LONDON -- Two Royal Air Force jets shadowed a Russian strategic bomber that approached British air space last week, the Ministry of Defense said Tuesday.

The incident occurred Friday, the same day Russian President Vladimir Putin flexed his military's muscle by placing strategic bombers back on long-range patrol for the first time since the breakup of the Soviet Union

Britain's defense ministry issued two photographs on its Web site showing one of the two RAF Typhoon F2s flying near the Russian Tu-95 strategic bomber over the North Atlantic ocean.

The ministry provided few details about where and why this happened. But the Russian warplane apparently was in international air space and approaching Britain's skies when it was shadowed.

Last month, two Russian bombers briefly entered British air space but turned back after British fighter jets intercepted them.

Under British and NATO regulations, Typhoon F2s are responsible for defending British air space.

In Russia on Friday, Putin announced that 20 strategic bombers had been sent far over the Atlantic, Pacific and Arctic oceans _ showing off Moscow's muscular new posture.

Putin said halting long-range bombers after the Soviet collapse had hurt Russia's security because other nations _ an oblique reference to the United States _ had continued such missions

Soviet bombers routinely flew missions to areas where nuclear-tipped cruise missiles could be launched at the United States. They stopped in the post-Soviet economic meltdown. But the wealth from booming oil prices has allowed Russia to sharply increase its military spending.

Eleven Russian military planes _ including strategic bombers and fighter jets _ carried out maneuvers west of NATO member Norway on Friday, a military official said.

Norway sent F-16 fighter jets to observe and photograph the Russian planes, which rounded the northern tip of Norway and flew south over the Norwegian Sea toward the Faeroe Islands before turning back, said Brig. Gen. Ole Asak, chief of the Norwegian Joint Air Operations Center.

A pair of Russian Tu-95 strategic bombers approached the Pacific Island of Guam _ home to a major U.S. military base _ this month for the first time since the Cold War.

Last month, Norwegian F-16s were also scrambled when Tu-95s headed south along the Norwegian coast in international air space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

if russia wanted to fly over irish air space, who would stop her?

I wouldnt be surprised if bertie asked michael o'leary to lash up a few ryanair jets to thwart them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I'm up for russia.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

faceman wrote:
    if russia wanted to fly over irish air space, who would stop him?

I wouldnt be surprised if bertie asked michael o'leary to lash up a few ryanair jets to thwart them!!

I didn't know Russia was a person. I also would presume that Britain would do something about seeing as it's pretty close to their air space.

I didn't know Russia was a person. I also would presume that Britain would do something about seeing as it's pretty close to their air space.

fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

What did you fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Well mother russia and all that, he seems to have fixed it :D

I was at a talk by a software company which was working on air traffic control sw for the UK and apparently the UK monitor our airspace already.

Afaik during 9/11 UK planes patrolled our skies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

themole wrote:
    Well mother russia and all that, he seems to have fised it :D

I was at a talk by a software company which was working on air traffic control sw for the UK and apparently the UK monitor our airspace already.

Afaik during 9/11 UK planes patrolled our skies.

I think they always have. Nothing official and set in stone but a 'sure why not' sort of thing. Kinda funny, how many people give out about 'those damn Brits', yet they patrol our skies for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

I spend a lot of time in poland close to the boarder of russia (Kalingrad) and every time i'm over, the russian migs are flying all over the place fairly low to the ground as well.

I wouldn't see this as a major thing at all really the aul russian like to flex there military muscle every so often,

I think they always have. Nothing official and set in stone but a 'sure why not' sort of thing. Kinda funny, how many people give out about 'those damn Brits', yet they patrol our skies for us.
    Yeah, we should be grateful to them it's not like they're doing it for their own good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

themole wrote:

I thought we monitored a lot of their airspace?, especially around Scotland.

I'm probably just mixing this up , I think that is commercial airspace around Scotland tracked from Shannon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd fight for Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Terry wrote:

ever find if you think of ANY simpsons episode, almost always in the next 3 to 5 days you see the exact clip you're talking about? Was thinkin about that Lenin one the other day and whaddya know. Happens me all the time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought we monitored a lot of their airspace?, especially around Scotland.
    With what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

Shannon should be first off the mark here, seeing as we are neutral they could make a few quid by allowing them to refuel in Shannon on the way to\from the US. :D

They also might reinstate the Shannon-Heathrow routes, how many seats on a Russian Tu-95. :)

weemcd wrote:
    ever find if you think of ANY simpsons episode, almost always in the next 3 to 5 days you see the exact clip you're talking about? Was thinkin about that Lenin one the other day and whaddya know. Happens me all the time
    Yep, but don't tell the folks in the paranormal forum.

robinph wrote:
    With what exactly?

with radar on a commercial basis

robinph wrote:
    With what exactly?
    Yeah, our country is such a joke. We don't have radars or anything.

another "us irish can't do anything right" knob :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Those pesky Russians you can't take your eyes off them for a second, I caught one of them painting my house red the other day. You can get a thing you plug into the wall that drives them away.
    Their just paranoid because we don't care who flys over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

with radar on a commercial basis
    The monitoring of your national airspace involves a bit more than just being able to see that there are planes up there, which is the extent of Irelands capacity. The commercial traffic may be monitored from Shannon, but I think that is actually just part of a Europe wide system now anyway. But any unknown aircraft appearing in or close to Irish or UK airspace will be intercepted by the RAF not the Irish aircorp, unless it's a stray hotair ballon maybe.

another "us irish can't do anything right" knob :rolleyes:
    So what exatly are they going to do with the radar when they see a Russian military jet encroaching within Irish airspace then? The only thing that they can so is speak to them and ask them nicely to leave.

robinph wrote:
    The monitoring of your national airspace involves a bit more than just being able to see that there are planes up there, which is the extent of Irelands capacity. The commercial traffic may be monitored from Shannon, but I think that is actually just part of a Europe wide system now anyway. But any unknown aircraft appearing in or close to Irish or UK airspace will be intercepted by the RAF not the Irish aircorp, unless it's a stray hotair ballon maybe.

Indeed, i've never disagreed with that :)

another "us irish can't do anything right" knob
    Attack the post, not the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mother Russia is flexing it's might. *swoons*

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:
    Mother Russia is flexing it's might. *swoons*

hehe,

I wouldn't be too worried about Russia anyway, country is dying on it's feet, population is shrinking dramatically. It ain't the country it once was.

robinph wrote:
    So what exatly are they going to do with the radar when they see a Russian military jet encroaching within Irish airspace then? The only thing that they can so is speak to them and ask them nicely to leave.

Get out and throw stones at them.

Get out and throw stones at them.

and wave our fists, "Ye shaggers of hell"

and wave our fists, "Ye shaggers of hell"

I'm tellin' ye, they'll be scared shítless of us then.

I'd be up in arms myself if we were spending any more money on our military.

It makes no sense to, does it? Even if we spent every single euro of our tax on it we'd still be walked over by any of the (many) countries with populations greatly outnumber ours.

Besides, we're Europeans now - one for all and all for one!

• Advertisement

Besides, we're Europeans now - one for all and all for one!

Except when they come here to take our jobs. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Breaking News !!!
    The Irish government has revealed plans to build an air defense network around the entire country. An estimated €2.6 billion euro has been budgeted for the plan. The initial phase will consist of one air defense radar and the costs have been broken down as follows

Air Defense Radar (make and model currently unknown): €10,000,000
    Management Team: €40,000,000
    PR Consultants: €25,000,000
    Nationwide advertising scheme: €5,000,000
    Management supervisory comittee: €55,000,000
    Independant national air defense regulatory authority: €130,000,000
    Air defense executive headquarters building: €250,000,000
    Replacement Air Defense Radar (initial purchase turned out to be Sky Sattelite dish): €50,000,000
    Computer system to handle payroll for management team, consultants, committees and executive body: €750,000,000
    Warning lights to keep low flying aircraft away from radar: €300
    Consultants to determine correct placement and position of lights: €49,999,700
    Road to link executive building to radar (150 metres): €1,200,000,000

Two operators will be required to operate the air defense radar system. These have not been budgeted for at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I remember some crackpot militarist type harping on about a possible Britsh air raid could wipe out our infrastructure within 48 hours.

It got me thinking. Why bother with expensive aircraft when they can just park a couple of tractors in the middle of the M50. The country would be crippled within minutes!

stevenmu wrote:
    Breaking News !!!

where did you get that from?

assuming its for real, how the fcuk do you spend 25m on PR consultants??? For what?!

faceman wrote:
    assuming its for real
    I'd assume otherwise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Rollyeyes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

robinph wrote:
    I'd assume otherwise.
    That would be the safer assumption :)

Than again, never underestimate the ability of the government to spend €25m on consultants

<_<
    >_>

/crawls behind sofa in shame (with a hangover)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Which is pretty embarrassing on our part tbh.

We should be able to patrol our own skies with a few decent jets. Like what we do with our navy. Just because it wouldn't be able to defeat an invading army doesn't mean we shouldn't have anything at all.

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Which is pretty embarrassing on our part tbh.

We should be able to patrol our own skies with a few decent jets. Like what we do with our navy. Just because it wouldn't be able to defeat an invading army doesn't mean we shouldn't have anything at all.
    There is a huge difference in the cost of buying and maintaining second hand Royal Navy boats than getting second hand jets from them. Keeping a boat afloat is a lot lower tech than keeping a plane in the air and people have been doing it for a lot longer. Also there is probably less of a difference between the lowest spec'ed modern military boat and the best for the purpose than there would be in terms of aircraft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement