Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blog/Forum rules & requirements

• 07-09-2007 10:54am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but please feel free to move this thread if I have it in the wrong place.

Basically my question is this. I'm writing a blog/forum type page for 2 separate customers, one will be for internal use and the other will be for external use. Are there any requirements I need to have in place with regards speed and accessibility (beyond the usual making the site accessible to partially sighted and otherwise differently abled users)? Are there any legal requirements that need to be in place before I can go live with the sites (I have explained to both customers that they will be responsible for the content of the blog and will need to have moderators/administrators in place to remove offending/libellous content)? What about security? The sites are accessed from secure sites requiring log-in and will not allow access to un-authorised users (i.e. you can't just pop in the url and work away) but the data is being stored in a database (passworded but not encrypted).

I know how dumb some of these questions sound and I have tried to google them with no success. I'd appreciate the input from anyone interested.

Thanks in advance
    -RD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

You could try using the W3C markup validator to ensure your code follows the applicable standards:

http://validator.w3.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeeDiddly

No just say:
    "MyBlog Media Ltd" has no affiliation with the comments posted on this site, unless publicly written by the owner of MyBLog Media Ltd.

in comments section.....write:
    The author of the comments, are completely liable for their own content, and shall accept all/unlimited responsibility, and have read the Terms & Conditions(Link) before clicking on the submit button. Thank you for contributing to MyBlog Media.

This lifts all repsonsibility from you or the client. Rephrase whatever you want, but your legal requirement is to say that you will try and get rid of bad content, but you accept no liability for it, and you are taking none of the crap...

Otherwise, have a happy time getting sued when something goes wrong.

The Freedom Of Speech Act pretty much protects you from, well..... Everything....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Am I right in saying that both of these will be for private use ? If they're going to be for public use and you are storing information on private individuals then there's data protection issues to consider, you can read about them at http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Home/4.htm, there's lists of your responsibilities and checklists and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

WeeDiddly wrote:
    The Freedom Of Speech Act pretty much protects you from, well..... Everything....

Err no it doesn't

Under Irish law if you run a blog or forum you are responsible for the content, whether you produced it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

When you think about it... if a forum contained endless threads containing incitements to hate and violence, do you think the forum owner would be completely free of responsibility?

An extreme example, of course, but it illustrates the point!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

But the responsibility does lie with the owner/operator, in this case the OP's customer, as opposed to the developer, in this case the OP.

(unless possibly the op was to take on the responsibility of running the forum)

Advertisement