Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

n00b Question - What Happens Next?

Options
  • 07-09-2007 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Ok, I will be buying a used car from a dealer shortly. I have never done this before so can anyone outline what steps need to be taken to get my name transferred from the old car to newer car? How long does it take? What other issues need to be taken care of etc etc

This is my first time buying a car myself so I havent a clue how the process works.

All help greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The dealer will usually fill your details and then get you to sign the "change of ownership" section of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate on completion of the deal. The dealer is then required to send this form off to the Motor Tax division of the Department Of the Environment in Shannon.

On average it usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks to process depending on how busy they are or when they receive it. They will then post out the new Vehicle Licensing Certificate with your name and address printed on it to you. You are then offically the new registered owner of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

cool. does that mean I would have to wait 2-3 weeks before I can take the car home?
    does that process also cover car tax? will my name be taken off the old car in terms of tax.

thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

cool. does that mean I would have to wait 2-3 weeks before I can take the car home? No - doesn't make a difference.

does that process also cover car tax? Yep.

will my name be taken off the old car in terms of tax. Not until the dealer sell it to someone else. Make sure you get a dated reciept saying that you sold the car to the dealer because you will still be liable for tax / penalty points / parking tickets etc until he sends in the form. If you have proof of sale then you're covered.

Advertisement