Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pulled for speeding...question

Options
  • 07-09-2007 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I was pulled by a guard on the N8 last sunday morning at 07:30 am . He showed me the reading, 124kmh in a 100 zone. I said fair enough sorry about that. He said he normally allows 20kmh before pulling people :eek:
    He appeared to write down all my details etc and apologise. My question is, should I not have received an on the spot fine and a verbal acknowlegement of 2 penalty points? Do they normally post it out to you if they pull you over?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

It sounds like you should be expecting something in the post. There has been many posts on boards from drivers who have received fine/points in the post without being informed by the Guard at the time they were stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

its normal for tickets to be posted out

and the garda doesn't have to tell you that its an €80fin or about the 2 points, but some do out of courtasy.

in fact there is no legal obligation for him to show you the reading on the sped gun at te side of the road (and if someone wants to dispute this, please give me the act and sub section of the RTA 61/05)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Hmmmm....wonder could I try the old "he wasnt wearing his hat" line. Because he actually wasnt. Best to pay the fine i think

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hmmmm....wonder could I try the old "he wasnt wearing his hat" line.

A Garda does not have to be wearing his hat to pull you in or do anything else. How would they ever get anything done, if all it took was a strong gust of wind or a quick flick of the index finger to render them powerless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Touching a gardas hat is counted as an assault. Friend of mine tried to steal a Garda hat when he was drunk. He ended up in a world of pain. First of all they gave him an 8 huor beating in the cell.

It all ended up in court where he was facing real jail time for assault on a Garda. Turns out soembody somewhere screwed up some paperwork and he got away with a large fine.

I know it is going off topic but I am posting it as a warning to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I am supposed to have 4 to 6 points. I have never received notification. Last offence was Galway Races. Should I have received them by now?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He said he normally allows 20kmh before pulling people :eek:
    Why the surprised smiley? If they were to enforce zero tolerance, then there would be nobody left driving/cycling/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

kbannon wrote:
    Why the surprised smiley? If they were to enforce zero tolerance, then there would be nobody left driving/cycling/etc.

20km is the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

yayamark wrote:
    20km is the norm
    Yep, they know that your speedo isn't that accurate, so they have to allow for that, and then they give you some space around that as well to allow for small infractions.

For instance at about 120kph my speedo is roughly 10kph out, so I can drive at 130kph on my speedo and in reality I am actually driving at 120kph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yep, they know that your speedo isn't that accurate, so they have to allow for that, and then they give you some space around that as well to allow for small infractions.

For instance at about 120kph my speedo is roughly 10kph out, so I can drive at 130kph on my speedo and in reality I am actually driving at 120kph.

So why do the guard make an allowance for speedos then. They are always calibrated to show a faster speed then you are doing. So you would have to be way over on the speedo to really be over the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

tuxy wrote:
    So why do the guard make an allowance for speedos then. They are always calibrated to show a faster speed then you are doing. So you would have to be way over on the speedo to really be over the speed limit.
    Maybe they realise that, despite the hype that a number of people on this board believe, going a little over the limit does not always result in instant death, orphans and peoples lives ruined.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I was pulled by a guard on the N8 last sunday morning at 07:30 am . He showed me the reading, 124kmh in a 100 zone. I said fair enough sorry about that. He said he normally allows 20kmh before pulling people :eek:

Exceeding motorway speeds when not even on a motorway. Tut tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

It was 07:00am on a Sunday morning. I saw maybe 5 cars on the road during my 2 hour drive

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I seriously doubt theres any reason they HAVE to allow you to go over th espeed limit.

Even if he's allowing you 20 kmph, that means he's going to let you do 120 in a 100 zone. If your travelling at 120 your speedo is more than likely showing 135 (in a 100 zone).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

speedos are calibrated every year. gardai leave approx and i say approx 20km for overtaking and sunny day, dry road conditions, been sound :D ( go on have a laugh).

Its easier for a garda to get up in court and say he was doing at least 20lm over the spped limit rather than 8 or 9 km, makes the garda look unfair and turn the judge in favour of speeder.

Please dont reply back with (Well my friend was stopped doin 53 ina 50 whats sound about that) it happens it shouldnt get over it. the majority of gardai give an allowance

Advertisement