Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Repeats in August

Options
  • 07-09-2007 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

Need more names for this to seriously work - its a petition to get the repeats after the summer months , not after one year. A system like the colleges in ireland.

Just take a look please

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/LC2007/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Plans like that have been in consideration for years. But there are too many problems for them to work (mainly considering that you'll have to decriminate against one group of people no matter what you do).

Get as many signatures as you like but be prepared that it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Hi

Need more names for this to seriously work - its a petition to get the repeats after the summer months , not after one year. A system like the colleges in ireland.

Just take a look please

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/LC2007/
    u gotta my support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The only way I can see this working is if the Leaving Certificate is completely overhauled/redesigned - though there's not a chance in hell it will under the current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Luluk

This is an interesting idea and is something that I would support wholeheartedly. It would not only benefit school-leavers, but also mature students, such as myself, applying as external candidates. It would be nice to have that flexibility there, so that if things go poorly in June, there is always another opportunity later in the year to try again, without having to wait for another twelve months.

Realistically, however, I can't see this ever happening. The expense and work involved would be too great. It would mean producing two sets of Leaving Certificate papers and marking schemes in all subjects and levels every year, hiring invigilators and teachers to correct papers, making exam centres available... Plus the CAO and universities would have to come in line with a second lot of applications... It would be a huge logistical challenge and very expensive. Even if students were willing to pay extra for this service, I can't see The Department wanting to take on such a huge amount of work on top of their present responsibilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would also mean closing some schools for September as teachers corrected the August repeats - unless you want the exams corrected by non-teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

2 points:
    1. Have you ever heard of an online petition that's actually worked? Ever? Even for something small and trivial? There's no way such a radical change of the Irish education system is going to be implemented by your little online petition.
    2. If you even want a miniscule chance of this getting any attention from the government, you might want to word the opening statement in a formal manner that suggests you're actually educated enough to deserve to repeat the LC in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

^ Apparently Wispa is being brought back as a result of online petitions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Wow!

Perhaps the OP's idea will actually work then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Pfft.

It's probably worth pointing out that (in Trinity anyways) if you do repeats in August/September, your result for those subjects is capped at 40%. Repeating in college is simply to move you to the next level in college, not to do better then the first sitting. Optional is a funny word, you wouldn't be allowed to repeat just because you didn't do well the first time around. Basically, you have one shot. Hell, if I had received a poor result in my finals, I'd never get another chance to get that Honours Degree.

So college repeats are a poor comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cherrycool

^ Apparently Wispa is being brought back as a result of online petitions!
    You just made my day! :D

As for the LC repeats after the summer, it would be a wonderful idea as I myself am repeating, but its just not going to happen. It wouldn't be fair if you re-sat the exam you took in June, because you'd clearly know whats coming up and memorise everything, and they don't make the following year's papers until the following year, ie March or April. Besides, how would you expect to learn the entire new English course for that year in a month?! Its just too much effort and work for the government.

I'll still sign though ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Actually next year's exam papers are well into production already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Didn't they have this before, about 30 years ago? Then they got rid of it because it was too expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

You may be thinking of college entrance exams which were apparently more important than the LC itself at the time for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Wow!

Perhaps the OP's idea will actually work then!!

*claps in apprecation of JC's comment* Now THATS sarcasm :D

Advertisement