Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML / CSS Help

• 07-09-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

I am designing a web site for the company Sports and Social club. I have the design pretty much worked out and we are all happy enough with it, baring a few style things.

The thing that is bugging me though is:
    I have a few news items on the right hand side of the page. I want to display the same info here on every page. The only thing is though that I am not any good at HTML (this is my first attempt) so I have basically written all the news stuff into every page. This is going to get annoying real fast if I need to make changes.
    I am using css to format the page and put everything where I want it so I don't want to mess around with frames. So my question is, how do I write this news once and have it displayed on every page. Is there a way to write any news stuff into an xml or text file or whatever and then using css display it on every page.
    Thanks
    Dace

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

what are the options available on your server ??

SSI ? (server side includes) ... basically you have a file called newsitems ... and you include that file in every file that needs it ...

php ? ...
    <?PHP include "newsitems.php"; ?>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

forbairt wrote:
    what are the options available on your server ??

SSI ? (server side includes) ... basically you have a file called newsitems ... and you include that file in every file that needs it ...

php ? ...
    <?PHP include "newsitems.php"; ?>

Nope, not available. It is a company Intranet so it is fairly limited.
    As far as I know, there is no scripts allowed either.

If it is impossible to do with scripts or other stuff like that, then fair enough I could probably use frames, I just don't want to really. I was hoping someone knew a cool trick that would accomplish what I need.
    Thanks
    Dace

check out iframes instead ...

I don't like them ... and no I can't justify why I don't like them ...

put this into each section where your news item is ...
    <iframe src ="news.html" width="200px">
    </iframe>

You'll have to figure out styling it yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Thanks for the replies forbairt. That does give me what i want alright, just have to figure out how to make it look pretty, but I have to say I don't much like the look of the iframe myself.
    Thanks
    Dace

And now I have figured the styling out and it is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much for the replies.
    Regards
    Dace

glad to be of help ...

If its a company intranet page ... then you might check out http://www.wampserver.com/

Windows Apache Mysql PHP ... all in a clickable file that just installs on a machine for you .. usually to a default location c:\wamp\www

and away you go from there ... it gives you a lot more flexibility as you can have a proper content management system (CMS) in place

( or you can check out ... xammp http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html )

I'm assuming your running windows as well there ....

If not .. then ubuntu server can be quite cool ... as its got a pretty simple php / mysql / apache install :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Dacelonid wrote:
    Thanks for the replies forbairt. That does give me what i want alright, just have to figure out how to make it look pretty, but I have to say I don't much like the look of the iframe myself.
    Thanks
    Dace

And now I have figured the styling out and it is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much for the replies.
    Regards
    Dace

You can change the look of the iframe by taking away the borders etc so it will look like it's just part of overall design and not tacked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gcoughlan11

Hi

Im creating a website,for a restaurant but it was numerous sub pages.
    Do i create one CSS file for the whole lot or seperate css files?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hi

Im creating a website,for a restaurant but it was numerous sub pages.
    Do i create one CSS file for the whole lot or seperate css files?

Thanks

One.

Advertisement